• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More academics in their natural environment. Not a species close to extinction...
IMG_30851.jpg

IMG_30831.jpg

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Still experimenting with where is best for photos and poses…

Anyway, today called for something more formal, first time I’ve worn a tie in 6+ months!

Conscious the pattern size between the tie and square may be a bit close but I tried it with plain white and it just didn’t click.

View attachment 1924433 View attachment 1924435 View attachment 1924437 View attachment 1924439

A bit of constructive criticism...

Too much taper on the trousers - quite a bit too skinny at the bottom.

Jacket is also on the short side. Would look better a couple inches longer.

Pocket square works well with shirt, but not so much the tie.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still experimenting with where is best for photos and poses…

Anyway, today called for something more formal, first time I’ve worn a tie in 6+ months!

Conscious the pattern size between the tie and square may be a bit close but I tried it with plain white and it just didn’t click.

View attachment 1924433 View attachment 1924435 View attachment 1924437 View attachment 1924439
I like the tie. Is the pocket square black or navy? It looks a bit busy and too similar to the tie pattern size but more upon closer inspection less at distance from the photos.

Im fine with the slim trousers as is the style now. The jacket may be a tad short looking for your height. I struggle with this myself due to torso dimensions. Not a deal breaker imo considering the trim silhouette of the suit overall. Nit picks

Nelton

Reaction score
I like the tie. Is the pocket square black or navy? It looks a bit busy and too similar to the tie pattern size but more upon closer inspection less at distance from the photos.

Im fine with the slim trousers as is the style now. The jacket may be a tad short looking for your height. I struggle with this myself due to torso dimensions. Not a deal breaker imo considering the trim silhouette of the suit overall. Nit picks

Pocket square is navy but actually one of those fun ones where each quarter is a different colour. Navy, burgundy, green, yellow. It’s my most used square as I just find the navy houndstooth always goes with something.

A bit of constructive criticism...

Too much taper on the trousers - quite a bit too skinny at the bottom.

Jacket is also on the short side. Would look better a couple inches longer.

Pocket square works well with shirt, but not so much the tie.

The aggressive SuitSupply tailor trouser taper in action…! I like the slimness but equally the angle of the photo is a bit weird so I’ll try and snap a better one next time. Is there anything wrong with a slimmer trouser opening?

Regarding the length, I’ve always found a 38R drowns me so i normally get a 36R and have it let out. I’m 5ft11 do maybe the jackets are just a bit short at that OTR level? I’ve never felt it but always happy for advice!

Beautiful tie.

Thank you! I’ve had it for years. There is an amazing seller on eBay UK (dickiebowmemoribilia) who I’ve bought many many cool ties from for cheap. This one was a Bally tie for less than £10 if I recall!

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pocket square is navy but actually one of those fun ones where each quarter is a different colour. Navy, burgundy, green, yellow. It’s my most used square as I just find the navy houndstooth always goes with something.

The aggressive SuitSupply tailor trouser taper in action…! I like the slimness but equally the angle of the photo is a bit weird so I’ll try and snap a better one next time. Is there anything wrong with a slimmer trouser opening?

Regarding the length, I’ve always found a 38R drowns me so i normally get a 36R and have it let out. I’m 5ft11 do maybe the jackets are just a bit short at that OTR level? I’ve never felt it but always happy for advice!

Thank you! I’ve had it for years. There is an amazing seller on eBay UK (dickiebowmemoribilia) who I’ve bought many many cool ties from for cheap. This one was a Bally tie for less than £10 if I recall!

Besides the colour and pattern, it seems that the tie has the proper width, that is 9,5/10 cm for me.

Frankly the suit is not my taste, because, as already mentioned, the trousers are rather skinny and the overall impression is of a modern cut. The total look is congruent though.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nice combo. The jacket is definitely on the short side. A longer jacket with a lower buttoning point would look better on you as a start but the 36 also looks small generally everywhere - You can see the tightness/pulling at the buttoning point and the quarters flaring out. As a minimum you want the jacket to cover your seat and as an ideal to have the bottom of your jacket roughly bisect your body. Somewhere around here.
1EBF5205-0E3D-47FD-A68D-FD298425BF3D.jpeg

A lower button stance near where your second button is currently would work better with that length and for your body as well.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It appears we struggle with similar challenges as I am in the same predicament as you but between 42R and 40R. I am the same height also. I also prefer pants to be on the slimmer side since I have slimmer toned legs.

As @Jmr928 stated those are best practices and can be challenging with some brands depending on their OTR styling. The lower buttoning point and enough length can help a lot for longer legs especially. Im here with my challenging 21 inch torso length. For me the easiest method is cutting the body in half from the neck down visually since it helps balance the top and bottom.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still figuring out which ties work with this jacket but the combo felt a little springy even if the weather doesn’t so I grabbed some casual shoes that always feel a little spring summer to me continuing my brown shoe challenge.
AFC74453-46AB-4154-8626-1B74F8285B77.jpeg
8E55D219-DDAD-473B-B007-A5A043D8F36D.jpeg
13C17570-974F-4CB0-972F-54FC206E63D3.jpeg
5F6EAB3D-6392-429C-B3FC-F80B98F11C11.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads