• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Gingham) / checked shirts usually read ‘casual’ to me but IMO they can work in a more formal rig to just take the edge off formality …

(Friggin’ collar popped out - too late now!!😆!)

View attachment 1925133 View attachment 1925135 View attachment 1925137
Sunglasses - JMM ‘Herbie’ in cobalt
Suit - Suitsupply
Shirt, tie and cufflinks - Tyrwhitt
PS - can’t remember, maybe Nieman Last Call?
Socks - can’t remember
Shoes - AE Clifton

Interested in thoughts on shoe colour with this outfit. Burgundy is OK, black would be too harsh I think. When I wear the same suit with a sky butcher stripe shirt and burnt orange tie I wear chili coloured shoes.
I guess it depends how much pop you want the shoes to have. Have you tried a different style shoe/materials to add more visual interest without too much color change?

Got any monk-straps or loafers? So you can still showcase the socks like you want. If you don't care about the socks you could go down a lower height dress boot. Thoughts?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Gingham) / checked shirts usually read ‘casual’ to me but IMO they can work in a more formal rig to just take the edge off formality …

(Friggin’ collar popped out - too late now!!😆!)

View attachment 1925133 View attachment 1925135 View attachment 1925137
Sunglasses - JMM ‘Herbie’ in cobalt
Suit - Suitsupply
Shirt, tie and cufflinks - Tyrwhitt
PS - can’t remember, maybe Nieman Last Call?
Socks - can’t remember
Shoes - AE Clifton

Interested in thoughts on shoe colour with this outfit. Burgundy is OK, black would be too harsh I think. When I wear the same suit with a sky butcher stripe shirt and burnt orange tie I wear chili coloured shoes.

Not my style, but it's cohesive and congruent with what you're pursuing.
Burgundy shoes are best in that outfit.
I love checked shirts too.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends how much pop you want the shoes to have. Have you tried a different style shoe/materials to add more visual interest without too much color change?

Got any monk-straps or loafers? So you can still showcase the socks like you want. If you don't care about the socks you could go down a lower height dress boot. Thoughts?

Good option.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday. Dinner at the Polo Bar wearing zero Polo. J. Press suit and Brooks shirt and tie. I got a lot of nasty looks. You think they noticed. :lol:
16A931DD-305F-4D90-985D-0ACF93250AA7.jpeg

20AB0B21-2281-4434-B77D-804E4C53AC8B.jpeg

ABC9906C-8430-47C1-997D-8B74F8B35EF3.jpeg

DBA9D18E-B3A9-477F-B631-EDEE7E9AC3F9.jpeg

B951C002-9339-401D-A89C-BE0EDAB30D09.jpeg

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think my loafers are a bit too casual for this.
I don’t own monks. Not massively against them but they were so much done to death at the height of the menswear boom it kinda turned me off.
Boot is an interesting suggestion. I have some bright burgundy Carmina Chelseas that might work.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think my loafers are a bit too casual for this.
I don’t own monks. Not massively against them but they were so much done to death at the height of the menswear boom it kinda turned me off.
Boot is an interesting suggestion. I have some bright burgundy Carmina Chelseas that might work.
That sounds perfect! Give it a go and share it if you can.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice colour composition among the subdued POW pattern on the jacket, the cream of the trousers and the dark brown of the suede shoes. Pleasant colour notes in the socks and the hat. I prefer the POW tie over the fantasy blue one. The pocket square is too colouful in my eyes.

The sleeves look a tad too long.
Thanks, Just Arrived (ups) Sleeves Come In Like That, Black And White Jacket, CJ Black Suede, Basting Is In Tact, Tailor Bound! :cool:

Heykal

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My outfit today:
  • Shoes: Loake
  • Socks: Suitsupply
  • Trousers: Scavini
  • Shirt: Lanieri
  • Sport coat: Boggi Milano (collar gap due to the selfie pose)
  • Tie and pocket square: Shibumi Firenze.
IMG_8082 Large.jpeg

IMG_8083 Large.jpeg

IMG_8084 Large.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads