• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

psb

Reaction score
Today in the opera to Verdis Rigoletto.

IMG_20200214_181151.jpg
IMG_20200214_180741.jpg
IMG_20200214_180810.jpg
IMG_20200214_180650.jpg
IMG_20200214_183538.jpg
IMG_20200214_184123.jpg
IMG_20200214_184319.jpg
IMG_20200214_184353.jpg

Last edited:

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the tie @DonRaphael . Where is it from if you don't mind me asking? You have a nice collection. What companies do you have the best luck with?
Thank you, sir. That particular tie is from E.G. Cappelli. It should be available at the website.

The vast majority of my ties are from E.G Cappelli. The rest are mainly from A. Quaranta Locatelli, E. Marinella, Antonio Muro, Damiano Presta, Conrad Wu, Rubinacci and Sam Hober. I have a couple of knitted ties from Sozzi as well. My favorites are those from Cappelli and Locatelli, but they're all excellent ties.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aka 'military lacing'. Never had issues or difficulties with this...

Not commenting on issues or difficulty with bar lacing vs. crisscross lacing, but I spent 28 years in the military, and we never used bar lacing on anything. Only crisscross lacing for boots and shoes.

It’s even in the regulation covering wear and appearance of uniform:

…boots are laced diagonally…

dapperedhoo

Reaction score
Thank you, sir. That particular tie is from E.G. Cappelli. It should be available at the website.

The vast majority of my ties are from E.G Cappelli. The rest are mainly from A. Quaranta Locatelli, E. Marinella, Antonio Muro, Damiano Presta, Conrad Wu, Rubinacci and Sam Hober. I have a couple of knitted ties from Sozzi as well. My favorites are those from Cappelli and Locatelli, but they're all excellent ties.

Thanks @DonRaphael . Enjoy your post!

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Not commenting on issues or difficulty with bar lacing vs. crisscross lacing, but I spent 28 years in the military, and we never used bar lacing on anything. Only crisscross lacing for boots and shoes.

It’s even in the regulation covering wear and appearance of uniform:

…boots are laced diagonally…

Yeh, not sure where the term comes from. Maybe it's from earlier eras.

In olden days, unless one was in the field it was service uniform (as opposed to fatigues); now it seems to be fatigues all the time, judging from press pics.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the South Patio at Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal.

IMG_3922 2.jpeg

Brooks Brothers Brookstweed jacket, BB#1 stripe tie, and pink OCBD shirt, Viyella sweater vest, Square Extraordinaire pocket square, Polo Ralph Lauren grey flannel trousers, and Allen-Edmonds suede wingtip shoes.

For fans of "Piece-Of-A-Person" pictures, a champagne, a chicken panini, and me at Traxx in the Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal picture.

Can now confirm the online reviews of Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Brut are correct. It is very good. As a point of reference, usually drink Mumm Napa Cuvee M, so do have rather Edwardian tastes in champagne. If you have 21st Century tastes you may not like either of them.

IMG_3916 2.jpeg

Extra Added Attraction: Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal as seen from the Old Plaza on the other side of Alameda Street.

The station looked much better before Metro built its monument to megalomania behind it.

IMG_3974.jpeg

Extra Added Attraction Part Deux: The statue of Carlos III, who was King Of Spain when Los Angeles was founded, in the Old Plaza, which is where Los Angeles was founded.

The statue shows how men's style has changed over the last two hundred and fifty years.

IMG_3933.jpeg

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
(Edit: referencing the gentleman who believes bar lacing is the only way to go and whose post on that matter failed to show up here, probably because I hit the wrong button so no dessert for me tonight.)

Please.
If bar lacing is your personal preference, just say so. Don't try to make it universal. One goes horozontal, the other criss-crossy. Formality, business, cleanliness, all the stuff you're saying has nothing to do with it.

It's pretty tough for the tiny minority that we are, we who give a **** about how we dress and so we bother to put some time and effort into it, tough to get it right in the eyes of ourselves and of those with whom we feel appreciate the that extra measure, without yanking us into the weeds on the direction of our shoe laces.

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads