• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bernoulli

Reaction score
I don't really know what "maximize your middle area" means but regarding the shoulders, I am not a fan of jackets with significantly structured shoulders. Thanks for the feedback

Has anyone ever mentioned to you that the cut of your suits often maximize your middle area and minimize your shoulders? Especially when unbuttoned like this. Just my two cents.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really know what "maximize your middle area" means but regarding the shoulders, I am not a fan of jackets with significantly structured shoulders. Thanks for the feedback
I think the intent of a suit coat is to make it look like the wearer’s shoulders are wider than their waist and hips. In the photo in question it looks the opposite. It may be an optical illusion and it’s made worse when the coat is unbuttoned, but I see what he’s referring to.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It means it looks like you have a big round belly and tiny little shoulders, especially when your jacket is unbuttoned.

bernoulli

Reaction score
I see what you mean. My body is my body. I don't have strong shoulders and don't like jackets with significantly structured shoulders, so I must live with the results. As for the cut giving me a belly, it may be the angle.

Under the spoiler, a couple of jackets by the same tailor. When buttoned, they look fine in the mid-section area. All these pics are shot from down upwards

00IMG_7876.jpgIMG_7709.jpg

It means it looks like you have a big round belly and tiny little shoulders, especially when your jacket is unbuttoned.

DapperPhilly

Reaction score
I see what you mean. My body is my body. I don't have strong shoulders and don't like jackets with significantly structured shoulders, so I must live with the results. As for the cut giving me a belly, it may be the angle.

Under the spoiler, a couple of jackets by the same tailor. When buttoned, they look fine in the mid-section area. All these pics are shot from down upwards

You don't appear to have tiny little shoulders or a big round belly. Ignore that crap.

bernoulli

Reaction score
Thank you but I am ok with criticism. I am an academic. Nobody here will be meaner than reviewer 2 from the Journal of Unimportant Things. I am ok with explaining my choices. They are conscious decisions after years of experimentation. I am not a lucky bastard like @An Acute Style or @upr_crust (or you, from what I can tell) who can simply enter a store or click on eBaY and get a perfect fitting garment after tiny alterations. So all the errors (including the original weird-looking pic that originated this discussion) are mine and mine alone and I must own them.

In the end, I learn from criticism, so please keep them coming.

You don't appear to have tiny little shoulders or a big round belly. Ignore that crap.

Stylewords

Reaction score
Thank you but I am ok with criticism. I am an academic. Nobody here will be meaner than reviewer 2 from the Journal of Unimportant Things. I am ok with explaining my choices. They are conscious decisions after years of experimentation. I am not a lucky bastard like @An Acute Style or @upr_crust (or you, from what I can tell) who can simply enter a store or click on eBaY and get a perfect fitting garment after tiny alterations. So all the errors (including the original weird-looking pic that originated this discussion) are mine and mine alone and I must own them.

In the end, I learn from criticism, so please keep them coming.
You look absolutely fine and your jackets fit you very well. We only need to pay attention to constructive citicism.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good stuff. My point was that your suits flatter you much more when the jackets are buttoned. I’m glad to see you took my comments as intended. 🍻

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.