• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[...] And narrow tie (the rule breaking aspect).

This works for me.

I think the dislike of “narrow” ties shouldn’t really apply in cases where the geometry of the coat severely limits the amount of shirt that can be seen: jackets with high buttoning-points (double or single breasted), or vested suits. In those cases the trick is achieving a balanced and pleasing proportion between the amount of tie and the amount of shirt that can be seen, not some hypothetical concordance with the lapel width. While I wouldn’t mind just a little more width in this case, I think it’s fine as it is. Imagine the same tie with a 2-button single-breasted jacket with SF’s beloved low buttoning point and wide lapels and, yes, it wouldn’t look as good.

All the usual acronyms apply: YMMV, IMO, and, um, WTF …

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice, GMMcL. I know this is about 2-3 patterns less than usual for you, so I appreciate the restraint. Tie is a beaut!

Thanx, dood. Just the vibe I was feeling today. (And FWIW, the shirt has a very subtle micro pattern. Shhhh! Don't tell anyone!)

Tie is Shibumi, and it is, indeed, a beaut! I highly, highly recommend!

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tie is Shibumi, and it is, indeed, a beaut! I highly, highly recommend!

Copy that GMMcL:

Last edited:

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks kulata, you are right....too much pocket square out...Agree.... Second one, again using a Hacket blazer bought on sales..nice price, fabric again in whool, linen and silk (I like this kind of fabric, it recovers well after an entire day of use...and it is enough light fot the "funny" weather we have here in the spanish summer). Beige chino trousers from LA (spanish tailor), pocket square from suit supply and again...one of my favorite summer shoes...from Carmina.
Regards, gentlemen.
Me agrada más este. Saludos desde México.
]
Who makes the suit, Timo?

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

spectre, any chance you can give multi-quote and spoilers a shot?

Since people seem to be sharing opinions on the matter, I am not feeling the Butler jeans and DB SC look.

How do I do that..haven't been here for years.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This works for me.

I think the dislike of “narrow” ties shouldn’t really apply in cases where the geometry of the coat severely limits the amount of shirt that can be seen:   jackets with high buttoning-points (double or single breasted), or vested suits.  In those cases the trick is achieving a balanced and pleasing proportion between the amount of tie and the amount of shirt that can be seen, not some hypothetical concordance with the lapel width.  While I wouldn’t mind just a little more width in this case, I think it’s fine as it is.  Imagine the same tie with a 2-button single-breasted jacket with SF’s beloved low buttoning point and wide lapels and, yes, it wouldn’t look as good.

All the usual acronyms apply:  YMMV, IMO, and, um, WTF …

Cheers,

Ac

Agree. Well put.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To spoiler something simply select it in the editor and then click the spoiler button, viz.:

Cheers,

Ac

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To multiquote, you just have to hit the "multi" button on the lower right corner of each post box for each of the posts you want to quote, and then, click the "quote" button which is immediately next to it. You'll be able to answer to all the posters in the same text box instead of having a single post per answer.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ Spectre. What those guys said. ^^

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey In Stitches, do you mind telling me what you think is wrong with it? Thanks.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hey In Stitches, do you mind telling me what you think is wrong with it? Thanks.
I realize that you didn't ask me, but here are my qualms

Subjective:
- I dislike--but don't hate--skinny lapels. They can work on the right build. But skinny peak lapels just don't work for me. By shape and by tradition, they should be wider, so it's a little bit offputting to see them on something less than 3.5 inches.
- The blue tie and blue square are matchy matchy, and not in a good way, since they are both basically solids of the same color
- one button feels more formal than two or three to me. Doesn't jive with this look (though it could work on a jacket that's very clearly not meant to be a suit)

Less subjective:
- that's clearly an orphaned suit jacket. Nothing about it suggests that it was meant to be worn separately. Which means to the viewer, it was clearly part of a set. And thus, looks like it's missing something.
- gray is also one of the harder colors to pull off (though not impossible) as an odd jacket (which that unfortunately isn't).
- the tie and square are the same color in very different hues, which is a little unpleasant

Practically objective:
- the jacket doesn't fit you

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads