• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
EDIT: POAP

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andy I once read somewhere else something about never unfurling your umbrella. What's that all about then? As someone who hates the rain, I do my best to avoid it by fair means or foul but if that's a 'thing' I certainly don't understand it!

I don't know if it's a thing or not. I think it might be a satirical notion, making fun of those who keep their umbrellas tightly furled at all times, but I really don't know. In my case, specifically, when I bought this umbrella it was a rainy late afternoon in London when we stopped in at James Smith & Sons. It was still raining when we left the store and my wife, quite reasonably, asked me if I was going to open my brand-new umbrella. I replied something to the the effect of "are you kidding? This was way too expensive to get it wet!", and it sort of snowballed in a running joke between us ever since.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#83. Channelling my inner Melbourne Cup spiv.

blekit

Reaction score
A good day for tweeds and flannels.

2d60e0b03ec2a803110e2f8246fc60a2.jpg

* Brook Taverner jacket
* shirt from Miler Menswear
* tie by Emanuele Giorgio
* ps from Poszetka
* pants from Massimo Dutti
* Herring shoes by Cheaney

7193e34d06c20c8cfed20989dd680a80.jpg

247934c7279df8f5948713c3e4ca5d7f.jpg

97ae313fee4c2d3a50046c4ae5cce972.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know if it's a thing or not. I think it might be a satirical notion, making fun of those who keep their umbrellas tightly furled at all times, but I really don't know. In my case, specifically, when I bought this umbrella it was a rainy late afternoon in London when we stopped in at James Smith & Sons. It was still raining when we left the store and my wife, quite reasonably, asked me if I was going to open my brand-new umbrella. I replied something to the the effect of "are you kidding? This was way too expensive to get it wet!", and it sort of snowballed in a running joke between us ever since.

Ha! Interesting. I actually don't own a full size umbrella and contemplated getting a solid stick one some time but I'm never in a situation when I would use it for its intended purpose. I keep a golf style umbrella in the car for emergencies and work wise I'm always travelling so if rain is expected I carry a shorty in my brief case. I saw a great example - possibly in Roetzel's book - of a S-A-B one with a leather handle and sterling silver trim that got me thinking!

Last edited:

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have resigned myself to the fact that I can't be trusted with a nice umbrella. When I was younger I bought on several occasions beautiful, bespoke umbrellas. Only to misplace them or forget them on the bus/train/car/taxi. Now I only use garbage umbrellas that are handed out for free with corporate logos or novelty stuff. It's the same thing with gloves. Not that I wear gloves with corporate logos, but I do avoid spending money on expensive gloves because I know I'll be lucky if I manage to keep them for a whole winter without losing them.

Last edited:

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A good day for tweeds and flannels.

2d60e0b03ec2a803110e2f8246fc60a2.jpg

* Brook Taverner jacket
* shirt from Miler Menswear
* tie by Emanuele Giorgio
* ps from Poszetka
* pants from Massimo Dutti
* Herring shoes by Cheaney

7193e34d06c20c8cfed20989dd680a80.jpg

247934c7279df8f5948713c3e4ca5d7f.jpg

97ae313fee4c2d3a50046c4ae5cce972.jpg

Nice outfit Blekit. I would suppress the SC a little. Nice slacks

Last edited:

Ben Llama

Reaction score

First post here, I'll have the normal suit and tie attire shortly.
smile.gif

I'm moving here from other forums to hopefully learn more about
menswear.
Black Denim Jacket
Tommy Hilfiger vintage 90's button-down.
Corduroy pants
Chukkas

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NervesAidHealth