• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^

And it looks better in the second picture for whatever reason

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

And it looks better in the second picture for whatever reason
I think the 2nd pic looks better because his head is cropped out. The nipped fit in the waist and slim hips of the jacket make the shoulders look disproportionately wide to me. I feel that the shoulders of a jacket look best when they are about as wide as the hips. I think the jacket would look better with the shoulders as is if the waist and hips were let out some. Maybe that's more my issue and not the shoulders.

I guess this raises a larger question about how wide can a shoulder be and still look good. I find many of the old Ralph Lauren shots very unflattering. The wide shoulders make the size of the head look weird. Feelings?

2c8206f35a8fe8b3400ec4c3afbe389a.jpg

Ralph+Lauren.jpg

tumblr_m5obmxh7yV1r4lpnbo1_500.jpg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tweed for wet weather. Plus the umbrella that shall never be unfurled.

Suit: Steed
Shirt: Proper Cloth
Tie: Le Noeud Papillon
Square: Drake's
Shoes: Edward Green
Umbrella: James Smith & Sons

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with Six. Since I've assuming you didn't opt for extremely padded shoulders, I would bet there are likely factors accounting for the issues AAS raised.

At first glance, they looked quite wide and "built up" to me as well.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the 2nd pic looks better because his head is cropped out. The nipped fit in the waist and slim hips of the jacket make the shoulders look disproportionately wide to me. I feel that the shoulders of a jacket look best when they are about as wide as the hips. I think the jacket would look better with the shoulders as is if the waist and hips were let out some. Maybe that's more my issue and not the shoulders.

I see what you're saying. The slight extension + larger sleevehead does accentuate the top half of the chest as well as my lack of height/build.

Quote:
I'm with Six. Since I've assuming you didn't opt for extremely padded shoulders, I would bet there are likely factors accounting for the issues AAS raised.

At first glance, they looked quite wide and "built up" to me as well.

No padding in the shoulders whatsoever, just a layer of canvas.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maiden voyage for a new Sam Hober. Cashmere/silk grossa grenadine. 6-fold, untipped and handrolled edges.
Suit: Caruso
Shirt: Zegna Couture
Tie: Sam Hober
PS: A43
Shoes: Carmina

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "I Love My Coffin" girls and I earlier today.

Brooks Brothers Brookstweed jacket, OCBD shirt, and tie, generic pocket square, Trafalgar alligator belt, L L Bean cord trousers, and Allen-Edmonds khaki grain McTavishes.
Sir, you look like a Happy Man...

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the 2nd pic looks better because his head is cropped out.  The nipped fit in the waist and slim hips of the jacket make the shoulders look disproportionately wide to me.  I feel that the shoulders of a jacket look best when they are about as wide as the hips.  I think the jacket would look better with the shoulders as is if the waist and hips were let out some.  Maybe that's more my issue and not the shoulders.    

I guess this raises a larger question about how wide can a shoulder be and still look good.  I find many of the old Ralph Lauren shots very unflattering.  The wide shoulders make the size of the head look weird.  Feelings?   
2c8206f35a8fe8b3400ec4c3afbe389a.jpg

Ralph+Lauren.jpg

tumblr_m5obmxh7yV1r4lpnbo1_500.jpg

Obviously, this is a matter of what you're used to seeing; to me, RL's look, while certainly extreme, is still a good one.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andy I once read somewhere else something about never unfurling your umbrella. What's that all about then? As someone who hates the rain, I do my best to avoid it by fair means or foul but if that's a 'thing' I certainly don't understand it!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarieMehan