• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did I miss it, or is the next Friday Challenge going to be Navy Trousers?

And if not, explain.
It must be! And with mandatory participation from everone who weighed in the conversation.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy cords for the all solid challenge. Doubly timely. Pocket square is blue oxford. I wasn't sure what other color square to go with. Any recs?

Have no problem with the navy pants, more suspicious to double cords (unless it's a suit). But you have still not actually posted IN the challenge!

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record I objected to the tie=mandatory, ps=optional clause. Requiring one or the other would have I think been better.
Why? It's pretty common in the challenges to specify ps as optional.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why? It's pretty common in the challenges to specify ps as optional. 

It's the mandatory tie that I thought was unnecessary. I tend to think that a tie AND a pocket square is usually a bit gilding the lily. One or the other, or both, should I think all be acceptable options.

Also I never wear a tie. Yes, everything is about me. :D

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Theo. I was going to wear a white PS and I was going to a ground-breaking ceremony. So since it was Friday, I said "go for it".

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm usually not a fan of denim and anything but a tweed SC, but that is really nice.

Last edited:

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some thoughts on navy trousers, I think blue, especially lighter navy, that it goes well when the colors of the rest of the outfit is not saturated, and yet if you use a neutral like gray, the attention is drawn entirely to the trousers without much compensation.

As such I think navy trousers go with warmer/neutral colors that have interest in other ways, texture, or patterns. I think therefore linen, checks/windowpanes/glen plaid, or something like Camelhair would be quite good.

I feel like if you have worsted or cotton navy pants, then light gray flannel with an adequately bold design (large lapels, db?) could work since the design and textural contrast would make it interesting, not to mention the chunkier fabric bring bulkier would have more visual presence and draw more attention than the sleeker fabric.

Thoughts?

I think slate blue like tweed or somewhat worn in denim work well with plenty of things including gray jackets, fwiw, but the difference is that the blue is not as strong and overpowering.

I also think navy trousers would go well with non jackets, like knitwear, cardigan over a shirt, or say suede jacket or safari jacket.

Linen navy trousers also had more versatility.

I do still feel navy worsted trousers are a bit harder to pair in a cm way though. Stuff that pairs well with it are not as versatile, and therefore most people don't have stuff that pairs well with it. A simple example is brown, I think. Blue can go well with brown but only in certain ways (a rich brown and a rich blue can clash if both are solid, plain, and aren't accessories). On the other hand gray pairs with both rich and pale iterations of brown AND blue.

Blue just has a very different vibe from brown, and while grey is somewhat citified it's more than acceptable as flannel with rustic items.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads