• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Too much spread for a casual tweed?

Hmm, interesting question. Given the causal fabric I'm not sure it would make much difference if it was a little more spread, and the points would likely sit under the jacket a bit better. Does that collar flatten out too much without the stays? I' would imagine lighter interfacing might have that problem.

To me personally if it's anything short of a cutaway the formality is more about the fabric/pattern than the angle of the spread, but I'm sure there's a rule in there somewhere that I'm breaking. Comes down more to how many shirts you have and how picky you can be I suppose. I just like the way a softer collar looks as it rolls over the tie and under the jacket rather than holding its shape with stays. YMMV.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The suit is a rare beast in the wild today, with a true 3-button jacket. I got it as MTM many years ago and it’s one of my oldest suits, made by Chester Barrie in a super 150s fabric. I have thought about having it slightly altered and re-pressed to a 3-roll-2, but at the same time I think it might lose something. Besides, true 3-buttons may come back again!
What are the views in the forum, keep as it is or alter?
Chester Barrie - Brioni - Calabrese - Berg & Berg - Edward Green
Btw, if anyone wonders the pictures were taken by the fascinating “Origami” building in Geneva, designed for Japanese Tobacco.

dazedstate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmm, interesting question. Given the causal fabric I'm not sure it would make much difference if it was a little more spread, and the points would likely sit under the jacket a bit better. Does that collar flatten out too much without the stays? I' would imagine lighter interfacing might have that problem.

To me personally if it's anything short of a cutaway the formality is more about the fabric/pattern than the angle of the spread, but I'm sure there's a rule in there somewhere that I'm breaking. Comes down more to how many shirts you have and how picky you can be I suppose. I just like the way a softer collar looks as it rolls over the tie and under the jacket rather than holding its shape with stays. YMMV.

The shirting is pretty flimsy as it's a thin warm weather cotton from Brooks Brothers. I've honestly never thought to wear it without collar stays but now that you mention it that makes sense. I will try that with more casual fits thank you. Still learning as is evident.

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DiplomaticTies
Can not say I like those buildings ; too hard and unfriendly,

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

BB GF
Venazi flannel
jPress
Peal and Co

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three days of no patterns got me like...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have trouble with true three-buttons. Even at 6'1 I prefer a 3x2 roll or a two-button. I think suits look better with lower buttoning points that expose more tie and shirt. That said, true three-buttons are great with vests, especially worn unbuttoned over a vest with a lapel.

Last edited:

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello All! BB GF Venazi flannel
Beautiful suit. I love the way it fits, but I really don't like the pattern.
Is it a suit? I think it's an odd jacket, in which case the fact that it's coming off like a suit is a problem. Needs more contrast between top and bottom. But you're right, jacket fit looks great.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it a suit? I think it's an odd jacket, in which case the fact that it's coming off like a suit is a problem. Needs more contrast between top and bottom. But you're right, jacket fit looks great.
it is a suit :) i appreciate the love of the fit though!
Weird light makes the pants look a bit strange

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads