• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cao Cao

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ I agree with sprout but nice SuSu suit.

@Koala-T
I am glad to see your improvements. I agree with Cox on his points. I bet the Titanic can sail thru the leg space. Try to stand naturally and not with your legs so much apart. I personally hate khaki trousers. May I suggest a nice pair of light grey wool trousers?

Last edited:

Bureaucrat

Reaction score
Thanx a ton, @Coxsackie . I take it you will appreciate my next WIWT posting, see below ;-)

Thanx @Betelgeuse !

Love the upper half, but if i am not mistaken, you paired Chelse boots with it, right? If so, i do think this type of shoe is too casual for the rest of the outfit...other than that, it looks great.

Gentlemen, for your viewing "pleasure":

I strongly disagree about the chelsea boots. A patterned SC coupled with a knit tie and button-down shirt is about as casual as it gets.

Nice outfit on your end though. I generally dislike red SCs, but you somehow make it look good. Not bad at all @Dennis Walter

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A fall day in NYC with somewhat cooler temperatures - today's ensemble works better with the meteorology than some have of late.

Suit - BB Regent
Shirt - Thomas Pink
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - DVVS, NYC
PS - Robert Talbott
Shoes - Harris, via Barney's Boston

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

upr_ Very nice.  How do you like the Harvie & Hudson shirts?  They don't get much love here I notice, but having recently bought two myself I am finding them very comfortable to wear and, on the face of it, of very acceptable quality.

My limited experience with shirts from Harvie & Hudson is that they're better than Tyrwhitt/Lewin/Curtis & Hawes, not as good as Turnbull or Hilditch, but a very good price/quality ratio.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[...]

Love the upper half, but if i am not mistaken, you paired Chelse boots with it, right? If so, i do think this type of shoe is too casual for the rest of the outfit...other than that, it looks great.

Actually, Chelseas (assuming a reasonably dressy last) are wholly appropriate and quite traditional even with quite dressy suits. Here's an example from one of Hardy Amies's books.

It's a very British look.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/...as-david-cameron-ruined-the-chelsea-boot-look

Steed-in-Striped-Three-Piece-Suit-with-Bowler-hat-Chelsea-Boots-684x900.jpg

MrTRC

Reaction score
^^^ I recall that Guardian article - particularly the comments section. I was more surprised (read: faux-outraged) about his gingham shirt and brown mirror-finish silk satin tie.
sly.gif

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It definitely has currency within the mod community.

Jamesgatz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chelsea boots are preferred by both Ralph Lauren and DocHolliday of the SF's "old guard." Suede chelseas and gray flannels are a handsome combination, IMO. I would even wear black calf chelseas with a suit.

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't intend to cause any controversy - but all I'll say is RMs are very common in Aus with everything from suits to jeans, and while I think the look can be overdone here I think these are a refined enough last and dark enough colour to pair well with a sportscoat and flannels. Maybe it's not the done thing in the USA, but I'm not in the USA of course.

Not that I really thought about any of this before tbh - quite simply it's been very wet here so I wore my storm welted boots!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads