1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

2 people like this.
  2. SYCSYC

SYCSYC Senior member

Thank you!

It is a Havana and its buttons are actually brown. Here is the link: http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/suit...ts&prefn1=styleFit&prefv1=Contemporary-Havana
    I agree with you on lessering the trousers' break, but I'm still wondering about having them cuffed or not.

3. mcobinad

mcobinad Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9 people like this.
  4. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Too tight. But then I think you probably know that.

8 people like this.
  5. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

I never post brands, neither here or when I, sparsely, post in SWD. I've gotten a decent amount of thumbs on both sides. I mean, I'm no Parker, but I think I do decently...

Generally, I think people just like what they like on both sides, without brand naming. Of course the brand worship exists, but it does so on both sides of the forum.

6 people like this.
  6. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Friday, and not a moment too soon. The Friday Challenge this week is "denim". As it happens, my office has a casual Friday policy, so I can get away with what I'm wearing today. Choice of shoes was done in emulation of a young gentleman on the subway yesterday, wearing jeans with what appeared to be walnut AE Strands, the look of which I rather liked. This is as close as I can come to that look.

Jacket - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
    Shirt, PS & jeans - BB
    Shoes - C & J Maltons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15 people like this.
  7. Sander

Sander Senior member

In the full body pic, I like the fit very much, in the close-up the shade of green on the tie seems hideous. Which one is true?

I think light grey fresco and strings are quite the perfect match.

Not /debate if it's not your primary aim to please people, which MC is much more about than SWD.

Was just going to write that.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    3 people like this.
  8. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

awsm thx, That thread seems to confirm my point about brand elitism in SW&D. When asked "What r the SW&D essentials?" CM got lists of brands (mostly) in response e.g.

" 2008 version: BoO oxford, APC NS, Clarks Desert Boots.
    Or 2010: Margiela 5-zip, hanes tee, Dior 19cm, GATs" etc
    or the Regis: Margiela viscose knit, virgin wool pants, SLP boots"

That wouldn't happen in CM imo
    Well, ur an affable guy EFV, that helps [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

More wintry stuff. All very soft, textured and fluffy. And warm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RPL/Corneliani - Lardini - B&Tailor - Frui - Gran Sasso - Sea-Gull - Howard Yount - Loake Design

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    19 people like this.
  10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

@mcobinad , there is much to admire about your fit. Attention to detail, style, quality threads etc.

Two things letting the side down though. (1) everything a little too tight, as pointed out by Henry Carter and others. Now, clearly you have a very muscular physique. Plus I think you're carrying a few extra kilos of puppy fat on top (aren't we all - sigh). If your entire wardrobe is like this, then you should think about dropping a few percentage points of body fat with diet and exercise. Or, if you're still building your wardrobe, try sizing up and then tailoring back.

(2) Those lemon trousers clash violently with everything else. There is no coherence whatsoever. As a matter of fact I think those trews would be hard to match with just about anything - maybe a soft, unstructured linen knit top of some sort might work with them. I dunno. But certainly not with that dandyish, Henley Regatta upper block.

Still, the glasses are just killer. So boss it's not funny. Wish I could get away with fuck-everybody frames like that.

2 people like this.
  11. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Uh, the tie is an awesome shade of green....duh

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Honestly, I don't think so. Color, texture, pattern combinations still matter and even more than that I think fit matters. Fit is king in CM. I don't recall any situation in which either of those factors were off that something got a lot of support based on brand alone.

Two completely different worlds. It's like asking a French pastry chef to suddenly start making Indian curries and then wondering why he doesn't immediately do well. (Back on the food metaphors)

Indeed. The whole mood is different in many cases. There are a lot of things I like about SWD, a lot, but the focus on "story telling" in pics is not one of them. I experimented with it for a bit and it just wasn't interesting to me. I don't care about telling a story or any other metaphysical stuff. I just want to look at the clothes. This is why I don't think I have a huge problem with "robo-pose". It is sparse, severe, spartan. All I get to see is fit and how a person put together an outfit. That's all I need. I don't need to think someone looks like a Japanese space farmer, or some other thing, based on the context of the photo. If I wanted that I'd go to a photography forum.

That's because you are EFV.

1 person likes this.
  13. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Actually, I'm going to rescind this. I don't think that's what I want to say at all. The level of difficulty or unfamiliarity is not the issue at all in this case. I think it's just a matter of competing aesthetics. It's not necessarily that it would be difficult for someone to cross the lines from CM to SWD or vice versa, but rather that people from either side might simply not like what a lot of stuff on the other side looks like. I think that's true for me personally. Although there are a lot of posters I admire in SWD most of the aesthetic there is something I simply do not think looks good. Pants with zippers all over them and shirts that hang down to the knees just aint my bag. If you are 18 and live in an urban area maybe that's you, and that's fine.

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second pic is crappy but shows fit better.

22 people like this.
  15. stiligt

stiligt New Member

That outfit is great! But you should give the tie knot a pinch

2 people like this.
  16. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ring
    Barba
    Donahue
    Goddard
    Epaulet
    GG

27 people like this.
  17. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Great gunclub,[​IMG] White shirt (?) with cutaway tho is sub-optimal tho imo Too bizness for the fit. Love the trews.

1 person likes this.
  18. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks. University stripe oxford from Luxire.

Aww. It's been a long time since you've mentioned my earrings. Now I'm all nostalgic.

I continue to be amused/amazed/bemused by Caustic's confident declarations. Whatever. Up with sauce!

3 people like this.
  19. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

[​IMG]

sup fools
    RLPL, borrelli, rubinacci, MG.