• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
So strange... the 8,5 Vibergs fit me nicely, thats why I dont understand the Leo lasted 8,5Ds GS are so small. Could you let me know how the new Vibergs non shell fit?

Well, I'm a Viberg guy - 7 pairs, all non-shell. If you have a 2030 size that fits you well (their traditional last, not their newer D or EE), the same size Leo is going to be smaller.

I am an 8-3/4 E Brannock. A size 8 in the Viberg 2030 fits wonderfully - just right for me in all aspects including with thick or thinner socks. For the Leo, I could not even get my foot into an 8D barefoot. I wear an 8.5E comfortably in the Leo, albeit with socks in the thinner half of the spectrum. Take home message is dont expect the same fit based on the same numeric size with the 2030 and Leo, at least in my experience, it's not close unless maybe you have really narrow feet.

Niels Vanhee

Reaction score
Well, I'm a Viberg guy - 7 pairs, all non-shell. If you have a 2030 size that fits you well (their traditional last, not their newer D or EE), the same size Leo is going to be smaller.

I am an 8-3/4 E Brannock. A size 8 in the Viberg 2030 fits wonderfully - just right for me in all aspects including with thick or thinner socks. For the Leo, I could not even get my foot into an 8D. I wear an 8.5E comfortably in the Leo, albeit with socks in the thinner half of the spectrum. Take home message is dont expect the same fit based on the same numeric size with the 2030 and Leo, at least in my experience, it's not close unless maybe you have really narrow feet.
Thanks for the info. This sounds actually really logic to me. Im comfy in a 8,5 viberg. And I cant get my feet (at least the right foot) in 8,5D leo lasted diesel. Seeing that the instep really hurts and feels awfully tight, I might be good in a 9E. 9 for the longer length and E for a more voluminous boot.

jam tangan

Reaction score
So strange... the 8,5 Vibergs fit me nicely, thats why I dont understand the Leo lasted 8,5Ds GS are so small. Could you let me know how the new Vibergs non shell fit?

i see that the sizing chart of Viberg (internal) is tied to the British.
most likely when you talk about 8,5 Viberg, it means 9,5 us.

Attachments

• viberg-sizing-chart.png
    viberg-sizing-chart.png
    155.9 KB · Views: 75

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

I received the Vibergs today. The fit is identical to my shell pair. These are a size 9.5 from roughly 2019, if I am not mistaken. To me, the fit is pretty similar to the Leo last in 9.5E. The 10D Leo also had a similar fit. They were a hair long but the width and overall volume were similar to the 9.5E. As I described earlier, the 10D Leo was a good fit while the 9.5E is an excellent fit. The GS team advised the 9.5E for me (which I ignored - opportunistically - when I bought the 10D pair).

There has been a lot of sizing debate on this thread lately. For those of you who would like an example of how to request sizing guidance from GS based upon a combination of brannock, feet description, and positive/negative fitments -- see below from my original request quoted from over a year ago. You'll note the lack of discussion about insole or outsole dimensions, which are largely irrelevant, and how descriptive I was about the fitments and how I describe my own feet. With this information they nailed the size recommendation. The more information that you arm GS with the more likely it is that you will be sized correctly.

Foot:
Roughly a brannock US 10E with a higher instep. The e width is mainly needed due to some space needs at the outer midfoot.

Sizing references (note, these are primarily shell cordovan so perhaps slightly more spacious):
AE 65: 9.5EE or 9EEE. I can wear a 10D or E as well but they will roll through the cap and the instep is too low on the D.
AE 511: 10D just a hair narrow at the ball. 10E is just a bit too much volume.
Alden Plaza: 10D snug but good. Instep too low for a balmoral but good for a derby boot.
Carmina Detroit: UK9 normal width a hair long but good overall.
Carmina Soller: UK9 good fit.
Carmina Oscar: UK9 works but snug. UK9.5 also works.
Edward Green 82 (not shell): UK9.5 narrow at midfoot but works.
Edward Green 202 (not shell, chukka): UK9.5 good fit.
Gaziano & Girling MH71 (not shell): UK9.5 good fit - similar to EG82 but slightly more space
Vintage Florsheim (shell or calf): 10E slightly better than 10D but can wear both
C&J 325: UK9E good fit
C&J 341: UK9E good fit
C&J 240: US10D good fit (have a pair of loafers as well that are too snug - very different fit)
Viberg 2030: 9.5 good fit
Enzo Bonafe 363mod: Resold due to narrow midfoot. A bit worse than the Edward Green 82.

basu13

Reaction score
I received the Vibergs today. The fit is identical to my shell pair. These are a size 9.5 from roughly 2019, if I am not mistaken. To me, the fit is pretty similar to the Leo last in 9.5E. The 10D Leo also had a similar fit. They were a hair long but the width and overall volume were similar to the 9.5E. As I described earlier, the 10D Leo was a good fit while the 9.5E is an excellent fit. The GS team advised the 9.5E for me (which I ignored - opportunistically - when I bought the 10D pair).

Foot:
Roughly a brannock US 10E with a higher instep. The e width is mainly needed due to some space needs at the outer midfoot.
While that is a wealth of information, it is slightly different and more difficult for beginners like me who have very little by way of comparative fit descriptions to offer. For instance, my Brannock size is 9 and bordering on EE (foot is around 10.8 cm/4.25 inches wide at the ball). High volume foot at 26 cm circumference at the ball.

The only boot comparison I can offer is my Trickers Stow which fits well at 8 UK (standard width, since the Stow is a roomy last).

GS has suggested 8.5 E on the Leo last, I'm hoping this fits, especially width wise and that it's not too tight. EEE will definitely be overkill for me and turn out too wide.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
While that is a wealth of information, it is slightly different and more difficult for beginners like me who have very little by way of comparative fit descriptions to offer. For instance, my Brannock size is 9 and bordering on EE (foot is around 10.8 cm/4.25 inches wide at the ball). High volume foot at 26 cm circumference at the ball.

The only boot comparison I can offer is my Trickers Stow which fits well at 8 UK (standard width, since the Stow is a roomy last).

GS has suggested 8.5 E on the Leo last, I'm hoping this fits, especially width wise and that it's not too tight. EEE will definitely be overkill for me and turn out too wide.

What you described above is probably good enough. You have your brannock and you've indicated that you have a high instep. The Stow is a well known boot and should be a good one for sizing with GS in my opinion. But the same comment applies -- the more data you can provide the better, even if that means going to a store to be fitted in a few other common lasts.

I don’t think info was the issue, i provided fit and feel of different lasted boots and measurements. I’m guessing I just have really hard feet to size correctly

Apologies for not being more clear. My comment wasn't targeted at you but rather others that are more militantly averse to this type of approach for unclear reasons.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score

Sounds like we are very close in shoe size (a hair shy of 9, and an E width). I also wear the Trickers 4497 in an 8 - so the GS Leo in 8.5 E works well for me. Sounds like it will be a close call for you. And yes, the EEE will possibly be overkill, or it least it was for me, even dropping a full size to a 7.5. My internet shoe advice, so.....YMMV

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think info was the issue, i provided fit and feel of different lasted boots and measurements. I’m guessing I just have really hard feet to size correctly
Sorry - that wasn't intended as a swipe toward you at all, just meant to call it out as a good point in general.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads