• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello all, new here and was wondering if I could have the input of the forum.

So after months of drooling over GS boots I finally gave in an ordered my first pair. I’m just in love with the look of jungle kangaroo.

Since I’m from Belgium and returns exchanges are always a painfully expensive experience I mailed GS to ask sizing advice. I included my measurements so they could give a more accurate assessment.

Parker from GS replied and was really nice to deal with and said a 8,5D would be good for me.

Today they arrived and they are even more beautiful than i expected, love the packaging and all! Lovely experience.

But… They are too small. Left is really really tight and the right is just too small in general, my foot just doesn’t fit in.

That sucks, especially since I sent my measurements to be certain. I expected a maybe boot sized a tiny bit too large but certainly never too small, since I assume the insole can be measured.

So what do I do now?

If I return I’m out another 45$ shipping and I don’t know if I can recuperate the VAT, import tax and original shipping (almost 200$ combined). Or I could ask for an exchange and again have to pay shipping VAT, import and return shipping… (i could be nearing 800$ total for the boots all said and done)

I really love the boots and I really want a good pair of GS, but my brain says I should just cut my losses and cry a little ?

Any advice would be welcome.
So sorry to read of your experience. Is it possible to sell the existing boots to a friend, recoup your losses and order another pair in a more correct size?

jam tangan

Reaction score

So after months of drooling over GS boots I finally gave in an ordered my first pair. I’m just in love with the look of jungle kangaroo.

Since I’m from Belgium and returns exchanges are always a painfully expensive experience I mailed GS to ask sizing advice. I included my measurements so they could give a more accurate assessment.

Parker from GS replied and was really nice to deal with and said a 8,5D would be good for me.

Today they arrived and they are even more beautiful than i expected, love the packaging and all! Lovely experience.

But… They are too small. Left is really really tight and the right is just too small in general, my foot just doesn’t fit in.

That sucks, especially since I sent my measurements to be certain. I expected a maybe boot sized a tiny bit too large but certainly never too small, since I assume the insole can be measured.

So what do I do now?

If I return I’m out another 45$ shipping and I don’t know if I can recuperate the VAT, import tax and original shipping (almost 200$ combined). Or I could ask for an exchange and again have to pay shipping VAT, import and return shipping… (i could be nearing 800$ total for the boots all said and done)

I really love the boots and I really want a good pair of GS, but my brain says I should just cut my losses and cry a little ?

I think it should be changed to the correct size despite the significant postage costs.
on the forum there was a great thought: the resources and time costs are worth it to find your size from the GS.

PS-1
please, tell us about your case - order. in terms of what length of yours foot and what size (small) you received.
I am also currently researching this issue.
For reference: the forum came to the conclusion that I need to order two pairs in different sizes in order
to determine exactly. some optimal option.

PS-2
perhaps this has already been discussed. nst-stitches by Alden and GS.
the difference is big and the GS wins. Alden nst-stitches looks like the ridge of fish.
the seam by GS is neat, smooth and beautiful (right photo).

Attachments

• nst=Alden.jpg
    nst=Alden.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 58
  • nst=stitchdown.com=grant_stone_ottawa_boot_dune_chromexcel6.jpg
    nst=stitchdown.com=grant_stone_ottawa_boot_dune_chromexcel6.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got me to thinking, has anyone put a half lug commando sole and heel toplift on the bourbon suede Ottawa? Man... that'd be worth gazing at. :drool:
Um... yeah. Despite the very-specific pondering, I happen to have a pair from the Olof collab that my buddy had Aram at AH One put that setup on... ;)

I'll try to get some pix. (spoiler: they look great)
Just found a pic I'd taken before:
ndz3E3X.jpg
Glory day!! It could be that I subconsciously had your pair in mind when I typed up my earlier post, though the picture doesn't seem familiar....

Well done, sir. Well done. ?

(edited for spelling)

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So what do I do now?

Try and sell it in the Grant stone buy and sell thread to recover at a slight loss

Reaction score

So what do I do now?

Hello, I'm a new forum member as well. I read a lot but rarely participate, let alone register with a username! I made an exception after reading this thread for a few weeks in preparation for my first GS purchase and after observing that it's a rare constructive and respectful place on the internet. Many members making a genuine effort to help others.

Niels, I live in Canada, and while every country and/or postal carrier may deal with duty differently.... in my experience, when I've had to get an exchange or warranty replacement (not on GS boots... just generally on products from the USA), duty is waived. If it's not waived automatically, it's been grounds for reimbursement. That can be a pain in the butt, with lots of paperwork and weeks of delays...but it could mean you're only out shipping costs. Maybe a phone call to "Belgium Post" to double check?

Once, FedEx was withholding a package until duty was paid in advance. I called, told them it was a warranty replacement (which was true) and they said ok, and delivered the package without duty. Your mileage may vary...

Niels Vanhee

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a new forum member as well. I read a lot but rarely participate, let alone register with a username! I made an exception after reading this thread for a few weeks in preparation for my first GS purchase and after observing that it's a rare constructive and respectful place on the internet. Many members making a genuine effort to help others.

Niels, I live in Canada, and while every country and/or postal carrier may deal with duty differently.... in my experience, when I've had to get an exchange or warranty replacement (not on GS boots... just generally on products from the USA), duty is waived. If it's not waived automatically, it's been grounds for reimbursement. That can be a pain in the butt, with lots of paperwork and weeks of delays...but it could mean you're only out shipping costs. Maybe a phone call to "Belgium Post" to double check?

Once, FedEx was withholding a package until duty was paid in advance. I called, told them it was a warranty replacement (which was true) and they said ok, and delivered the package without duty. Your mileage may vary...
Thing is with GS you pay them the shipping and VAT beforehand. So I have no idea what the real cost is and I’ve no idea who to call to be reimbursed…
I have mailed them to ask, but for now it’s just anxiously waiting how much money I’m gonna lose

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another pic of the "converted" suede Ottawas I found:
2EVJk2t.jpg

the difference is big and the GS wins. Alden nst-stitches looks like the ridge of fish.

I have several examples of NST pairs from both GS and from Alden. I agree GS hand-stitching is the most-consistent and very tidy. I especially like the "jump" at the toe stitch - it appeases my slightly-OCD tendancies. That said, the hand stitching with the Alden looks very hand-made, which is a good thing. It does lead to some variability - my Choco tankers have what I call a "weak spot" in the stitching of the left boot near the sole where the thread disappears a bit. I can be seen a bit here:
vFEI6QX.jpg

Something similar is going on with my natty CXL pair too. These things don't bother me at all, but it does give me appreciation for the consistency shown by Grant Stone.

Niels Vanhee

Reaction score
I think it should be changed to the correct size despite the significant postage costs.
on the forum there was a great thought: the resources and time costs are worth it to find your size from the GS.

PS-1
please, tell us about your case - order. in terms of what length of yours foot and what size (small) you received.
I am also currently researching this issue.
For reference: the forum came to the conclusion that I need to order two pairs in different sizes in order
to determine exactly. some optimal option.

PS-2
I love the GS designs, so I’d certainly buy more boots from them if they would fit. So commercially it might make sense for them to help me out and get me the size I need.
But I’m not sure how GS looks at this.

so the measurements I sent were
Left foot
Heel to toe: 28cm
Heel to ball: 20cm
Right foot
Heel to toe: 28,4cm

I got the advice to buy a size 8,5D
Its the diesel in jungle kangaroo. Only thing I can think of is that the boots I got are really size 7,5 or 8 but are labeled 8,5. A factory mistake to say. Otherwise I don’t see how this could happen. The insole I got is 28cm at best. (I didn’t actually measure the insole, my right foot just doesn’t fit in the boot

Niels Vanhee

Reaction score
So sorry to read of your experience. Is it possible to sell the existing boots to a friend, recoup your losses and order another pair in a more correct size?
I paid 575$ shipping included. I doubt I could sell it at that price for a boot listed $370 on their site… sadly I think the best I can do is just return

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
I love the GS designs, so I’d certainly buy more boots from them if they would fit. So commercially it might make sense for them to help me out and get me the size I need.

Left foot
Right foot

Its the diesel in jungle kangaroo. Only thing I can think of is that the boots I got are really size 7,5 or 8 but are labeled 8,5. A factory mistake to say. Otherwise I don’t see how this could happen. The insole I got is 28cm at best. (I didn’t actually measure the insole, my right foot just doesn’t fit in the boot

That’s just over 11 inches. Should put you at an 11-12 in GS, depending on your foot shape.

Niels Vanhee

Reaction score
That’s just over 11 inches. Should put you at an 11-12 in GS, depending on your foot shape.
Not exactly. For example I wear red wing last 8 in a size 8,5 but they are also slightly to small.
viberg2030 I wear in size 8,5 as well.
for Indonesian mto’s they measure the insole and I haven’t had a sizing issue at all with them. So I’m not sure what went wrong here ?

Reaction score
Thing is with GS you pay them the shipping and VAT beforehand. So I have no idea what the real cost is and I’ve no idea who to call to be reimbursed…
I have mailed them to ask, but for now it’s just anxiously waiting how much money I’m gonna lose

When I enquired directly with GS about exchanges for sizing, they said the buyer pays the return shipping, and GS pays to send out the replacement. I'm not sure if this holds true for Europe. Since it's an exchange, you should not be charged VAT a second time. And as for duty, that can be charged in advance (if it's shipped with a private carrier like UPS), or later if you use USPS (the shipping options for shipping to Europe may appear different on the GS checkout page...)

If it's a private carrier charging in advance, it's them you contact for reimbursement. If it's paid later, it's probably with your government agency or the carrier who delivers the package. Does that make sense? Again, this may be totally different in Belgium. But that's how it has worked for me in Canada

jam tangan

Reaction score

Left foot
Right foot

everything is strange here.
not explained by any confusion in labeling
and not explained by confusion in dimensional grids US vs UK vs EU.
(I apologize in advance to those members of the forum who are sick of my reasoning)

take a larger your foot = 28,4 cm. insole length should be at least 30 cm. (+1.5 cm). it means 11us = 10uk = 44eu.
but this is the minimum!
after a while I will supplement the post with formulas for the correct determination of the size. spoiler: size will be 11,5us.

PS.
actually here they are:
EU = 3 : 20 * 284 + 2 = 44,6 => 44,5 eu
UK = 3 : 25,4 * 284 - 23 = 10,54 => 10,5 uk = 11,5 us

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads