• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Commisar

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents....

By looking at the lacing gap, the larger size seems to fit you fine. Do you find the 9.5D's to have too much vertical volume? If so, this can be remedied by a thin insole. A tongue pad isn't necessary by the looks of it.

As for the 9D's, if your pinkie toes fall behind the stiffened toe counter then the leather should give there over time. If your pinkie toe is hitting the toe stiffener though, that spot will not loosen up noticeably.

Also, I suspect a 9E would work at least as well as the 9.5D for you but I think will have slightly more volume.
Not at the toe stiffener, but that pinky is trying to get last the welt.

As for vertical volume, they actually feel EXTREMELY similar.
I'd send back the 9D, then try on a 9E while keeping the 9.5D on hand to choose between the two. It's something I should have done at the very beginning.
Thanks for the advice, I'll probably do that and see what happens. Luckily I know that worst case a 9.5 D Leo is fine/good enough 🫡

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Got my 9 D and 9.5 D LWBs in British tan in the mail today. Please see the following album for sizing suggestions. 9 D crunches my right pinky toe, 9.5 D feels fine.

9.5 D Brannock, 9.5 D in all Allen Edmonds shoes and boots, 9 D Barrie, 8.5 D red wing No 8 last, 10 D Asics and New balance sneakers. 9.5 D in cowboy boots.

Should I grin and bear it on a 9 D or go with a .5 size up and maybe have to put in a thin insert?

Or should I try a 9 E and see what happens?

Note this sizing should also be consistent for the Diesel boot that I want as well.

Thanks

If you have to "grin and bear it" or settle for "good enough" on a new shoe/boot, it's the wrong size and you should move on. You received some good suggestions from others here, and should be able to size comfortably without an insert. In some cases a certain last just may not suit your foot, but I'm predicting the 9 E Leo will be the sweet spot (if 9.5D isn't already). FWIW I wear a 8.5 D Barrie/Trubalance and 8.5 E Leo.

Last edited:

Commisar

Reaction score
If you have to "grin and bear it" or settle for "good enough" on a new shoe/boot, it's the wrong size and you should move on. You received some good suggestions from others here, and should be able to size comfortably without an insert. In some cases a certain last just may not suit your foot, but I'm predicting the 9 E Leo will be the sweet spot (if 9.5D isn't already). FWIW I wear a 8.5 D Barrie/Trubalance and 8.5 E Leo.
Good to know.

Edit, when I say 9.5 D feels good enough I mean that it feels good on my feet and tbh is really just a bit taller vertically vs my great fitting vintage Florsheim LWBs. I'd like to see a 9 E but they're OOS.

Last edited:

Commisar

Reaction score
I'd send back the 9D, then try on a 9E while keeping the 9.5D on hand to choose between the two. It's something I should have done at the very beginning.
Agreed sadly the 9 E British tan LWBs and a few other LWBs are out of stock in 9 E. I've asked when the restock is due.

woodenbits

Reaction score
Should I grin and bear it on a 9 D or go with a .5 size up and maybe have to put in a thin insert?

If 9.5D feels a bit too long and a bit too narrow - then 9E will be better, but I do not think that this is what you were saying.

if 9D is slightly tight in the pinky but you got lots of room in front of your toes... then paradoxically 8.5E might be a better choice - it will be a bit wider and a bit shorter than 9D - not much, but it will be. Instep will be rather similar to 9D and you already established that it works for you. Changing fit this way is also highly dependent on the shape of your toes - if you got slanted toes than it is more likely to work well for you, but if you got more square toes then shortening of the shoe will negate all the benefit of the wider ball area and can make your pinky suffer even more.

Just pointing out that you have got one more potential choice in addition to those discussed - not saying that it is the best choice - just another option worth keeping in sight.

Last, but not least, if your pinky is not just a bit uncomfortable in size 9D but it hurts, it is a wrong size for you.

Commisar

Reaction score
If 9.5D feels a bit too long and a bit too narrow - then 9E will be better, but I do not think that this is what you were saying.

if 9D is slightly tight in the pinky but you got lots of room in front of your toes... then paradoxically 8.5E might be a better choice - it will be a bit wider and a bit shorter than 9D - not much, but it will be. Instep will be rather similar to 9D and you already established that it works for you. Changing fit this way is also highly dependent on the shape of your toes - if you got slanted toes than it is more likely to work well for you, but if you got more square toes then shortening of the shoe will negate all the benefit of the wider ball area and can make your pinky suffer even more.

Just pointing out that you have got one more potential choice in addition to those discussed - not saying that it is the best choice - just another option worth keeping in sight.

Last, but not least, if your pinky is not just a bit uncomfortable in size 9D but it hurts, it is a wrong size for you.
I have square boxy toes.

The 9.5 D width is great and length is fine, maybe a tiny bit more than a 9.5 D vintage Florsheim but not worse at all than a 9.5 D Allen Edmonds 65 last shoe.

Sadly the 9 E LWB is sold out so I'll see what GS says.

Worst case I might move around my GS purchases and get a Diesel boot in Earth and wait a bit for a LWB 😅

basu13

Reaction score
Dune Ottawas. Apologies for multiple pics but this is the only pair I carried for a week long trip!

IMG_20230209_113714.jpg

IMG_20230209_120450.jpg

Last edited:

Kkstpattisday

Reaction score
I have square boxy toes.

The 9.5 D width is great and length is fine, maybe a tiny bit more than a 9.5 D vintage Florsheim but not worse at all than a 9.5 D Allen Edmonds 65 last shoe.

Sadly the 9 E LWB is sold out so I'll see what GS says.

Worst case I might move around my GS purchases and get a Diesel boot in Earth and wait a bit for a LWB 😅
FWIW I measure exactly the same as you from sneakers Hoka 10, to Allen Edmonds 9.5d, to red wing 8.5d. I never needed a 9.5d in Leo. I have a pair of 9d black calf longwings that I had to tape my pinky toe for a couple of weeks because of the way the last flexed atop my toe. Once I broke the leather in, calf can be a struggle compared to cxl, the pinky has been fine. I tried 8.5e and the problem was my ankle felt sloppy and twisting my ankle was inevitable cause I wasn’t locked down. My point is when describing “crunch” does the pinky feel like it is being shoved against the 4th toe or does it feel like the leather is collapsing on top of the pinky. The 9d is too small if the pinky is shoved against the 4th toe but if the leather is hitting the top of your pinky it just needs to soften with a little VSC and wear. Hope my two cents made sense. Cheers

Commisar

Reaction score
Good news everyone, GS responded

"Thank you for your email.
We do not have an estimated shipment date yet for the Longwing British Tan Calf.
The 9E and the 9.5D will feel virtually the same, although the 9E would have given you just a bit more volume in the toe box.
We can try the 9.5D, if it doesn't fit, we can do a return.
Thanks, Kimberli "

So here's what I'm going to do, I'll exchange the LWBs for Diesel boots in Earth in a 9 E and a 9.5 D, pick my favorite size and when the LWB comes back in stock in all sizes I'll know my size in that.

I'm just shuffling my GS purchases as I'll be getting the LWB this year for sure.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Got my 9 D and 9.5 D LWBs in British tan in the mail today. Please see the following album for sizing suggestions. 9 D crunches my right pinky toe, 9.5 D feels fine.

9.5 D Brannock, 9.5 D in all Allen Edmonds shoes and boots, 9 D Barrie, 8.5 D red wing No 8 last, 10 D Asics and New balance sneakers. 9.5 D in cowboy boots.

Note this sizing should also be consistent for the Diesel boot that I want as well.

Thanks

I agree with @whipcord and would try the 9E. Feet are crazy things - if a 9D Barrie fits well it is surprising that a 9D Leo doesn't. I feel like Leo is a bit less tapered at the toe, too. But...crazy.

9.5D in all AE (presuming that includes 5-last) is telling for a complicated fit though, at least in my experience. Have you ever tried a 5-last in 9E? (I'm a very-reliable 12D Brannock, though on the wider side of D. 5-last fits me really well in 11.5E and nothing else.)

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Commisar

Reaction score
I agree with @whipcord and would try the 9E. Feet are crazy things - if a 9D Barrie fits well it is surprising that a 9D Leo doesn't. I feel like Leo is a bit less tapered at the toe, too. But...crazy.

9.5D in all AE (presuming that includes 5-last) is telling for a complicated fit though, at least in my experience. Have you ever tried a 5-last in 9E? (I'm a very-reliable 12D Brannock, though on the wider side of D. 5-last fits me really well in 11.5E and nothing else.)
A 9 E in a 65 last has a really sloppy heel for me.

Sadly the British Tan LWB is discontinued, so I'll get the Diesel boot for now and see what new leathers the LWB is offered in or just get the Dune CXL one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads