• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gnatty8 Greatest Hits or Misses..

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And for context, I am an old bugger, 40 years old to be exact.. While I know the current "trend" is for slim trousers, I prefer a more classic cut.. Also, slim trousers do not mesh well with my physique, which tends to some fairly thick thighs from years of playing hockey and running constantly.. I accept that they may look dated, or frumpy, but it's an element of my personal style that I just cannot change.. Also, I am in an extremely stuffy profession, corporate finance; so trendy would probably not go over terribly well with my Board..
cry.gif

Awesome comments though, glad to hear I am not terribly off track!

Nexus6

Reaction score
The suede wingtips are primo!
You have beautiful shoes Gnatty8

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These are about the slimmest trousers I own, to my eye, they just do not look right on me..

nash4.jpg

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the fit of your clothing is very good. Occasionally there will be some minor thing that's not perfect, but I overlook it because the entire ensemble looks great anyways. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head right now is your tan cord jacket by Cucinelli(?), I think the shoulders are a tad too big...but it still looks good IMO.

BTW you have a great shoe collection!

nioh

Reaction score
Mostly misses IMO; you are way too advantageous when it comes to colours and patterns. I like some of the sport coats but the combos aren't doing you any favours.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nioh
Mostly misses IMO; you are way too advantageous when it comes to colours and patterns. I like some of the sport coats but the combos aren't doing you any favours.

I'm afraid I have to generally agree. Nothing looks bad, mind you. It's just not to my personal taste. I like to work with fewer colors--but then, I'm a well-established bore, so you should probably ignore me.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Thanks man, I am, ahem, an American, so I will keep the American lapelled tweeds..

I appreciate that but a lot of American tweed jackets have ugly harsh stitching with very sharp edged lapels unlike softer English tailoring...

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
These are about the slimmest trousers I own, to my eye, they just do not look right on me..

nash4.jpg

I agree those are not the best fitting trousers. Have you tried something with a bit lower/shorter rise? They look way blousy in the hips.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It always depends on your natural posture...
My tailor pointed out that my right shoulder was leaning forward compared to the left one..
I never paid attention to that before he made that remark...
Now , I'm also trying to correct my posture on pictures and i'm looking better..

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
It always depends on your natural posture...
My tailor pointed out that my right shoulder was leaning forward compared to the left one..
I never paid attention to that before he made that remark...
Now , I'm also trying to correct my posture on pictures and i'm looking better..

lol, I think you may be hitting on something here.. I generally try to correct my posture when I take a picture, so a coat that fits my shoulders relatively well may not when I try to stand too straight..

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm afraid I have to generally agree. Nothing looks bad, mind you. It's just not to my personal taste. I like to work with fewer colors--but then, I'm a well-established bore, so you should probably ignore me.

That's because when I dress, I try to conform to my personal taste, as opposed to wondering what mafoofan would like when I post pictures on the internet..
laugh.gif

But in all seriousness, I do tend to see a lot of fits in WAYWRN that I could never see myself wearing, but I can still admit they look good on the wearer, perhaps given their already well established aesthetic. For example, I would never see myself wearing those thick-framed glasses you wear, but they work for you because they are not inconsistent with your overall look. At the end of the day, we all have our own style, and will wear things that nobody could ever convince us do not work well, because we just know better. However, most times, if I get a negative comment on WAYWRN, it is deserved, and I learn from it.

In any case, fun thread that I hope nobody took too seriously.. I was bored, it was raining, and I had the idea from an earlier post in WAYWRN. Thanks for all the comments, even you mafoo..
wink.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Personal taste is all well and good, but I do think your trousers look a little blousy and billowy around the hips. If that's your thing, that's your thing. But it's not flattering your physique. Someone earlier in the thread said something along the lines of "Your clothes make you seem huskier than you really are." I would agree with that statement. The jackets seem fine, but the pants flare out at the hips more than they should.

All that aside, you have some really nice ******* shoes.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
You have some GREAT stuff, almost all of it. The one thing I do think though, is that your jackets are not fitted enough at your waist. I think you're a slender guy, and while you may not want uber tight, a bit of supression may do you better!
+1 You're a slim, tall drink of water but some of your jackets suggest you are a chunky monkey. Others fit you like a glove. Your best is that hunk of glorious metal behind you. Your worst is that ******* horse blanket jacket POS
wink.gif
That said, always enjoy your posts. Many of your looks are spot on. Your shoes are especially awesome.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
gnatty you're at your best when there are fewer patterns and colors. Personally I prefer the tighter FIH knots and less pocket square origami, too. Of you're so-called misses, I like this one. The patterned tie works here since it's not overly busy.
mon4dt1.jpg
For jacket fit, I think this is one of your best. Maybe a hair too long, but the shoulders fit you and I think the American mode (swelled edges, 3 roll 2 soft shoulder) suits your style. Just pop in a dark solid tie here for more contrast.
flash3bq3.jpg
p.s. when I first saw your avatar many moons ago, I thought you might be wearing cut up sweatshirts with safety pins.
happy.gif
p.p.s. I also love my purple/lavender shirts. Looks good with navy and gray.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads