• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glasses inspiration thread!

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream | Styleforum

That's the thread that started my current interest in glasses being a part of one's overall style.

I was going to post inspiration photos there, but I feel like this deserves its own thread. I know I'm posting this in CM, but I'm not treating this as a "strictly CM with glasses" thread.

Feel free to post photos of yourself too.

Michael Caine
photo-1624288274.jpeg

MichaelCaine_5.jpg

169794-1542621622.jpg
20200429-caine-02.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any particular glasses styles pair well with certain looks?

I bought this pair of glasses as opticals and found they work with pretty much everything I wear. They particularly work well with trad focused styles and big raglan overcoats.

Dealan_Cortina_style.jpg

Jax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of large framed glasses like the above examples but I just don't feel they can be pulled off without an ostentatious type of style. Really, it's probably just a huge level of confidence as well.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of large framed glasses like the above examples but I just don't feel they can be pulled off without an ostentatious type of style. Really, it's probably just a huge level of confidence as well.
They're really fun man. They can be striking, but subtle at the same time depending on the colourway and detailing.

A lot of CM principles in outfits are based around framing the face and drawing attention towards it.

What better coupling than actual giant frames?

I will say that my frames required 4-5 adjustments, and they're quite heavy. They left imprints on my skull when I first got them.

@d4nimal accurately put thick acetate as being like hiking boots for your face. I did get used to them as opticals after a couple weeks and wear them 12-14 hours a day.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s interesting how a really well done pair of frames can change your perception with regard to size, proportions etc.

I always was intrigued by larger frames but felt I didn’t have the face to support them. I largely stuck to Persol because I was a bit afraid to do anything too ostentatious and felt they were fairly easy to pair with a variety of looks from tailoring to something more casual
A36456B3-B2C7-4EDA-AF98-7AECBF3921AD.jpeg

Randolph Engineering was a similar fallback - light weight, affordable, pretty versatile
CD8062CD-C27A-43CE-B7BF-6457D4879BD3.jpeg

Late last year I picked up a pair of JMM Fellini’s and I’ve gotta say when they arrived, I was fully prepared to send them back. I was not wedded to the idea of keeping them but did want to try them. I ended up keeping them and after wearing them pretty regularly they’re much easier to pair than I expected. Don’t get me wrong, they feel big I don’t think they wear as big as I expected them to.
B6EFFDA2-AA4F-4175-BD59-E329480CF650.jpeg

I think @UrbanComposition has some awesome inspiration for how versatile they are and can slot into a ton of different looks.

Looking forward to seeing what others think works well with some various looks and how they work into your styles and wardrobes.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s interesting how a really well done pair of frames can change your perception with regard to size, proportions etc.

I always was intrigued by larger frames but felt I didn’t have the face to support them. I largely stuck to Persol because I was a bit afraid to do anything too ostentatious and felt they were fairly easy to pair with a variety of looks from tailoring to something more casual View attachment 1771134
Randolph Engineering was a similar fallback - light weight, affordable, pretty versatile View attachment 1771135
Late last year I picked up a pair of JMM Fellini’s and I’ve gotta say when they arrived, I was fully prepared to send them back. I was not wedded to the idea of keeping them but did want to try them. I ended up keeping them and after wearing them pretty regularly they’re much easier to pair than I expected. Don’t get me wrong, they feel big I don’t think they wear as big as I expected them to.
View attachment 1771141
I think @UrbanComposition has some awesome inspiration for how versatile they are and can slot into a ton of different looks.

Looking forward to seeing what others think works well with some various looks and how they work into your styles and wardrobes.
I'm too shy and private to show my face, which would probably help with this thread, but I felt the exact same as you.

I have a small, oval shaped, narrow face, and wore thin wire frames my entire life. Frankly it looked dorky, and not in a charming way. I always wanted chunky frames but also felt my face couldn't work with them. I had tried on many pairs, most were too wide for my face.

My optician that carries JMM had the Dealan x Cortina pair up there and they looked chunky, but weren't very wide. The 10mm acetate added some verve to my overall look.

From what I can see, I think the Fellini's look good on you.

Jax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Something I'm noticing is that every example has someone wearing a suit.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm too shy and private to show my face, which would probably help with this thread, but I felt the exact same as you.

I have a small, oval shaped, narrow face, and wore thin wire frames my entire life. Frankly it looked dorky, and not in a charming way. I always wanted chunky frames but also felt my face couldn't work with them. I had tried on many pairs, most were too wide for my face.

My optician that carries JMM had the Dealan x Cortina pair up there and they looked chunky, but weren't very wide. The 10mm acetate added some verve to my overall look.

From what I can see, I think the Fellini's look good on you.
Thanks man. I avoided larger frames because in the early/mid-2000s I made some mistakes with glasses that were big for the sake of being big. Oakley Romeo’s, Mosley Tribes Enforcers, the OG Louis Vuitton Evidence’s. The JMM stuff I’ve seen isn’t just big to be big.

I think Cary Grant’s that Oliver People’s recreated were iconic.
C68FBA03-FFF5-4373-B92D-97B335A328DD.jpeg

And as a child of the 80s/90s - Pierce Brosnan as Bond was the coolest to young me.
A730D69B-9F13-4879-B822-A0D330FDAA42.jpeg

And for @Jax
300EDE69-5DF1-4E9B-A0F2-9A7A20C7388B.jpeg

Last edited:

BomTrady

Reaction score
'Just some images I like:
I am not sure who makes these frames:
Screenshot 2022-03-25 221605.png

NackyMade:

Screenshot 2022-03-25 220715.png

Not sure, but I like them.

Screenshot 2022-03-25 220631.png

Personally, I prefer smaller wire frames for optical. These are made by RetroSpecs, a company that sources original antique frames and restore them.

Screenshot 2022-03-25 222140.png

?
Screenshot 2022-03-25 221802.png
Screenshot 2022-03-25 221819.png
Screenshot 2022-03-25 221733.png

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Just some images I like:
I am not sure who makes these frames:
View attachment 1771146
NackyMade:

View attachment 1771150
Not sure, but I like them.

View attachment 1771153

Personally, I prefer smaller wire frames for optical. These are made by RetroSpecs, a company that sources original antique frames and restore them.

View attachment 1771159
?
View attachment 1771168 View attachment 1771169 View attachment 1771183
I think the top pair you mentioned you weren’t sure on are the Oliver People’s Cary Grant.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. I avoided larger frames because in the early/mid-2000s I made some mistakes with glasses that were big for the sake of being big. Oakley Romeo’s, Mosley Tribes Enforcers, the OG Louis Vuitton Evidence’s. The JMM stuff I’ve seen isn’t just big to be big.

I think Cary Grant’s that Oliver People’s recreated were iconic. View attachment 1771177

And as a child of the 80s/90s - Pierce Brosnan as Bond was the coolest to young me.
View attachment 1771178

And for @Jax
I had to google some of those frames. I actually dig the LV Evidence frames, but they do look massive and better suited to only being sunglasses.

louis-vuitton-1-1-evidence-sunglasses-s00-sunglasses--Z1502E_PM1_Worn%20view.jpg

JMM deftly balances that line between elegantly shaped designs and gaudiness for larger frames. They have a pretty large diversity of frame sizes and shapes, but I think their chunky frames are the most iconic and unique looking.

I like that the frames posted in your celebrity example can likely work as opticals as well, and not just sunglasses.

Recently I've been interested in getting a pair of optical frames with a gradient tint. It's a sketchy, unsavoury look that I want to try out. @etl posted some great photos of Joe Pesci in The Irishman.

Screen-Shot-2019-11-30-at-4.51.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-11-30-at-4.49.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-11-30-at-4.48.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-11-30-at-4.46.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-11-30-at-4.47.jpg

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have these that I use as reading glasses. They evoke positive comments..

Last edited:

Spinster Jones

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads