• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I spoke to Daniel Wegan last time during the trunk show, he mentioned GG does not like Horween shell because they couldn't get a consistent color and smoothness, and since they're a small shell player, they couldn't get the best pieces (and therefore quality control is an issue.) I'm guessing with Ilcea getting out of sorts, etc (and GG is not a big museum calf user either) they probably will have difficulty sourcing them reliably as well. I guess they prefer working with reliable suppliers where they can control the quality. Nonetheless, I'll ask anyways...

Ilcea is back in business again, so that wouldn't be a problem.
Hehe G&G doesn't go well with Horween, they're not that keen on the fact that they need to strip down and redo the color on all hatch grain leathers as well.

A manufacturer of anything can (and will) not offer every component/material that is available from suppliers worldwide

'Museum calf' is a leather that has been antiqued and finished on the hide, taking out the risk you do have when working with (unfinished) crust leather. With crust leather, there is always the danger that certain sections might not respond to dye/finish as you hope they would, throwing up unexpected blemishes. G&G (and Edward Green) do work extensively in crust; JL(Northampton) does not use crust at all, neither does Vass.

G&G has recently employed Thomas Brunschwig (ex-Corthay) to run the Savile Row store. Thomas is an expert patiniseur (is that the right word?) and can achieve any effect desired. I believe, G&G will soon be offering a patina service on request. So they can be far more flexible to individual wishes (just like Berluti), than if they were to use 'Museum calf', or a similar product from another tannery.

Yeah it's great with Thomas, he does some beautiful work!

Saratorial_Splender

Reaction score
I think G&G MTO are worth the money. but if you're looking for something more unique with special handmade elements, Bestetti is absolutely the best and he is going toward a RTW model as well. But, he is the best of the current European masters. I have over 40 GG pairs and I have 6 Bestetti pairs and while I love the G&G ones, the bestetti are more special & unique.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think G&G MTO are worth the money. but if you're looking for something more unique with special handmade elements, Bestetti is absolutely the best and he is going toward a RTW model as well. But, he is the best of the current European masters. I have over 40 GG pairs and I have 6 Bestetti pairs and while I love the G&G ones, the bestetti are more special & unique.

Please post pics of the 40+ pairs...

Thanks!

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is a lot of chatter that G&G is changing their business model to concentrate on RTW and less on MTM and Bespoke. Your thoughts G&G fans!

It would seem to me that RTW & Bespoke are getting refocused efforts. While MTO seems to be taking the hit.

Bespoke options are endless as far as I can tell from their tumbler, and their bigger factory is geared towards a more streamlined RTW process. MTO on the other hand had extensive policy revisions, & pricing tiers added, making it a less attractive option in comparison to the competition (I think)...

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is a lot of chatter that G&G is changing their business model to concentrate on RTW and less on MTM and Bespoke. Your thoughts G&G fans!

Personally I don't like the new business model, mainly because I'm a wide fit and often need to go MTO with G&G. But if I'd live in London and was a standard witdh I'd be cheering, being able to jump into the store and pick out almost any pair I want directly and bring home.

Regarding bespoke I don't think they plan to cut down on that at all, just go more from MTO to RTW. The new shop also is a step in getting more bespoke customers. Plan to learn Thomas (new store manager) to take measurements, which will make it possible for "drop in bespoke orders". They do struggle however with finding good makers. Have two new apprentices in Kettering now, which hopefully will get paid of for in the future. But they do miss Shoji Kawaguchi who recently stopped working for G&G to focus on his own brand Marquess.

Last edited:

vorkanz

Reaction score
Personally I don't like the new business model, mainly because I'm a wide fit and often need to go MTO with G&G. But if I'd live in London and was a standard witdh I'd be cheering, being able to jump into the store and pick out almost any pair I want directly and bring home.

Regarding bespoke I don't think they plan to cut down on that at all, just go more from MTO to RTW. The new shop also is a step in getting more bespoke customers. Plan to learn Thomas (new store manager) to take measurements if I'm not mistaken, which will make it possible for "drop in bespoke orders". They do struggle however with finding good makers. Have two new apprentices in Kettering now, which hopefully will get paid of for in the future. But they do miss Shoji Kawaguchi who recently stopped working for G&G to focus on his own brand Marquess.

I cant agree with you more, more wider shoes to the people!

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
It would seem to me that RTW & Bespoke are getting refocused efforts. While MTO seems to be taking the hit.

Bespoke options are endless as far as I can tell from their tumbler, and their bigger factory is geared towards a more streamlined RTW process. MTO on the other hand had extensive policy revisions, & pricing tiers added, making it a less attractive option in comparison to the competition (I think)...

I guess that makes sense from an industrial point of view: MTO is an inefficient sales process compared to RTW, as it requires interaction between a shoemaker and the customer, just like bespoke - even if only once. There's no production line, no stock management, just a shoemaker tasked to do something specific outside planned production. So i can see why it's getting more expensive as G&G get more commercially established, but...

Personally I don't like the new business model, mainly because I'm a wide fit and often need to go MTO

I have to agree with this, for the same reason. The value proposition for a machine welted shoe, be it JLP, EG or G&G, is borderline for me even when based on fantastic materials, lasts and quality control. I actually never bought G&G because I thought the lasts would be too narrow, but I was wrong: I visited the new shop the other day while passing through London, and the "F" fitting is great, as is pretty much everything about the way the shoes look and feel. But Dean G told me there were no plans to hold wider fittings in stock for the foreseeable future, so unless Bespoke England or one of the others happen to have a suitable order in their small stock, it's MTO. At that point, I think the balance just tips too far: the MTO charge just for a correct size, add in the already top-of-the-market price and then the very expensive trees, and it just feels punitive. As is often the case, I'll keep my eyes open for a deal, but I can't quite stomach that price, even for something so lovely.

On a plus side, I also dropped in on Justin "Shoe Snob" Fitzpatrick. His range, with lasts developed in conjunction with G&G, also have nice leather, roomy fit and excellent quality control. The new chiseled last looks hot, and if you're a G&G lover looking for a more accessible alternative, these look like a serious option. Oh, cf. the "antiquing" vs patina discussion, he's got a new tie up with Alexander Nurulaeff (Dandy Shoe Care) to offer bespoke patinas on crust versions of some of his shoes.

Originally Posted by j ingevaldsson
Shoji Kawaguchi who recently stopped working for G&G to focus on his own brand Marquess.

If you haven't seen the Japanese Shoe Thread, do. As with most of his countrymen among the cordwainer community, I'm really impressed by this guy's mind-bending dedication to detail.

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a plus side, I also dropped in on Justin "Shoe Snob" Fitzpatrick. His range, with lasts developed in conjunction with G&G, also have nice leather, roomy fit and excellent quality control. The new chiseled last looks hot, and if you're a G&G lover looking for a more accessible alternative, these look like a serious option. Oh, cf. the "antiquing" vs patina discussion, he's got a new tie up with Alexander Nurulaeff (Dandy Shoe Care) to offer bespoke patinas on crust versions of some of his shoes.

If you haven't seen the Japanese Shoe Thread, do. As with most of his countrymen among the cordwainer community, I'm really impressed by this guy's mind-bending dedication to detail.

Though J. FitzPatrick is a long way from a G&G shoe, like you say, it's a great alternative for those who look for something cheaper but like the G&G style. Reviewed a pair from J. FitzPatrick a couple of days ago on my blog, really like the shoes: http://www.shoegazing.se/2014/05/04/recension-j-fitzpatrick-fremont-maple-calf/

Regarding Marquess, yes, he truly makes some amazing work! Love the looong waists.

Last edited:

Itsuo

Reaction score
Mimo, I should be offering two G&Gs in 6.5F in the near future. One unused, one lightly used with a brand new sole.

I think J.Fitzpatrick also mentioned he would not be stocking shoes in a wide fitting.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I'm a 9, but thank you - and Justin's shoes are a little wider in standard form.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They moved to a new factory so they now need to jack up the volume to increase utilization, which means less customization to streamline the process and increase yield.

On the other hand, their loss if they are stopping bespoke. The offering of bespoke tier literally defined the heart and soul of G&G from other mass manufacturers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads