1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Todd Shelton We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Todd Shelton which focuses on basic pieces customized to fit your body and your tastes.

First pair of classic dress shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Tia93, May 13, 2018.

1. Tia93

Tia93 Member

Hello there!
    I'm in the market for my first pair of classic shoes. Not actually the first pair, but the first since I started reading upon shoe quality, menswear, etc. So I'd like to get a few suggestions, if there are any.

I'd like to buy them in a store, living in Italy I have access to most famous brands, but not to the most suggested here as I understand it (e.g. Meermin). I'm looking for a pair of lace-up, probably black, nothing major. But I'd like to make an informed purchase. RTW, so Sutormantellassi is going to be a dream for now.
    Wanting to avoid internet shopping at least for the first purchase, what I'm considering is:

- Gucci (not at all loved around here, at least so it looks to me)
    - Ferragamo (Tramezza line especially)
    - Santoni
    - Tod's

I'm leaning towards Ferragamo at the moment, but I can change opinion quite quickly if there's a reason to.
    Any suggestion is really appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

2. Kushcoma9000

Kushcoma9000 Well-Known Member

Here's a list of all major shoe brands established in Italy: https://www.theworldofshoes.com/stories/brands/?country=italy
    (you're gonna have to click "Italy" in the filter side bar again)

I'm assuming any of them would work but the ones I notice on there besides Santoni and Ferragamo are Antonio Meccariello, Enzo Bonafe, Stefano or Mario Bemer, Roberto Ugolini, Silvano Lattanzi, A. Testoni, and Ducal

You can play around with the filters on the side too to get different results

Last edited: May 15, 2018

3. Tia93

Tia93 Member

Hello! Thank you for your reply (and sorry I missed it for a few days).

Thanks for the link, I knew a few of them, but it's been quite informative. Looks like I'm going to take a trip to Florence, at least ;)

(also Naples is looking good).

Thanks again :)
    Have a great weekend.

4. Kushcoma9000

Kushcoma9000 Well-Known Member

Happy to help, and likewise

5. mintchox

mintchox Active Member

6. MrUnderwood

MrUnderwood Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.

I would strongly advice against spending alot on your first pair. Second, i agree with mintchox regarding the brands you have listed as they tend to be pricy for what you get. This is regarding especially Gucci, i have not owned a pair of Santoni so i cannot comment on those.

Meermin is highly recommended because they are relatively inexpensive and offers decent quality.

I would recommend a pair of Loake 1880 or Allen Edmonds (Park Avenue is a classic). These will be classics, not the highest costs, and if properly maintained could last many years. Great starter shoes.

7. mintchox

mintchox Active Member

Also, something that I've learnt through trial and error - go with a good fit rather than the best brand you can find within your budget!

8. Tia93

Tia93 Member

9. Tia93

Tia93 Member

Thanks! I've been a long time lurker, but never felt like posting as I'm really a newbie.
    This is something I was considering, especially for Gucci (the general idea I got reading here and there was that it wasn't the same for Ferragamo and Santoni, Tod's being somewhere in the middle).

I should be able to look at some Allen Edmonds this weekend; cannot find any brick and mortar italian reseller for Loake and Meerming and I would like to avoid online shopping being the first one.

10. Tia93

Tia93 Member

Yep, thanks, that's what I'll do probably. I just wanted to know wether I was missing out on something (and apparently I was) and how good or bad those would be :)
    Thanks again!

11. Tia93

Tia93 Member

Hello!
    So I ended up with a pair of Allen Edmonds (Park Avenue, black leather). I was amazed at how comfortable they are from the start and the store lady was really nice, so I guess they won a client!

Thank you all for your inputs and thoughts and links :)

12. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

Good buy, now you know your size, can take advantage of all the sales AE will be running.