• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kwaker

Reaction score
After 2 years of office use, my black messenger is showing signs of UV wear (fading) ... that earthiness is coming along slowly, but surely.

hkp2k

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first Filson bag, the 48 hour duffel in Navy. Many of the reviews on the Filson website mention that they wish the bag had brass feet to protect the bottom of the bag (similar to the Meridian I am guessing).

Has anyone ever added brass feet to their bag? I talked to Filson, and they weren't willing to add them, or even sell them to me so I could do it. I have talked to a local luggage repair shop, and he was willing to do it, but he almost sounded like brass would not be ideal and recommended rubber instead. It looks like there are a lot of options out there, just looking for experiences.

Thanks!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first Filson bag, the 48 hour duffel in Navy. Many of the reviews on the Filson website mention that they wish the bag had brass feet to protect the bottom of the bag (similar to the Meridian I am guessing).

Has anyone ever added brass feet to their bag? I talked to Filson, and they weren't willing to add them, or even sell them to me so I could do it. I have talked to a local luggage repair shop, and he was willing to do it, but he almost sounded like brass would not be ideal and recommended rubber instead. It looks like there are a lot of options out there, just looking for experiences.

Thanks!
I'm sure Filson warned you but just in case I wanted to reach out to you. If Filson declined the modification and you decide to do it outside of their repair department you will void the lifetime warranty of the bag. If these rubber (or brass) feet fail and strip the pliable tin cloth, you'll be left with a really expensive...well not a paper weight but still something other than a functioning bag lol

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The discontinued Meridian duffle, I think, had brass feet. But it also had some sort of plastic insert to keep the bottom rigid. I was thinking without that rigidity, the bottom of the bag might still touch the ground even with the brass feet.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Helpful comments from both of you, thanks!
Anytime, I myself begged Filson's customer service rep to add a Luggage Trolley Strap to their Original Briefcase (#256) but they wouldn't. I wish they would expand their alterations options. They added the optional Leather snapped hand grip to the #256 from repeated inquires, so it's possible for future additions to alterations.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hkp2k, as Filson will repair or replace its products for life, I would suggest using it hard and not worrying about wear.

When the wear finally becomes significant, you can send it back to Filson, and they will sew a cool patch on the bottom that will make it look even cooler than new.

letsi

Reaction score
Anytime, I myself begged Filson's customer service rep to add a Luggage Trolley Strap to their Original Briefcase (#256) but they wouldn't. I wish they would expand their alterations options. They added the optional Leather snapped hand grip to the #256 from repeated inquires, so it's possible for future additions to alterations.

One of the gripes I have with the 256 and 258. They did it for the 48 hours duffle (bad idea though cause the tin cloth strap is flimsy as hell and the duffle just slouched on top of my wheeled luggage) but just wouldn't do it for the classic twill range. I have cut some inner partitions from my 258 (warranty be damned) and am planning to sew them on just above the handle strap holders DIY-style. Hopefully, I get around to it before my next biz trip.

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@hkp2k - I echo Soltrane. I have the 48hr duffle in tan. It has the reinforced base so adding feet would be hard. Just use it as it. If you can't leave the issue alone perhaps add a extra coat of Filson wax along the bottom - that might trap some of the dirt before it gets to the fabric. I think we all have to remind ourselves sometimes that the stage between new and shiny and patined and characterful can be painful!

On trolley straps - 48 has one and I'd rather it were an extra pocket. I haven't yet used it but it does look quite insubstantial especially compared to the rest of the bag.

hkp2k

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I think after reading your comments, I will probably take the advice given here and leave the bag alone. It is good to read some data points in addition to the reviews on the Filson site.

It's funny reading the comments on the trolley strap though, as that was an important consideration for my purchase of the bag. My wife and I are taking our young kids to Europe in a month, and I had to rethink our luggage situation since I will have hand to hold in addition to my bags. I settled on a bag like this (Tumi for my wife) as a carry-on and a larger wheeled bag for both me and my wife. With the use of the trolley strap, that should leave one free hand to hold the hand of our kids during our big adventure.

Thanks again!

letsi

Reaction score
It's funny reading the comments on the trolley strap though, as that was an important consideration for my purchase of the bag. My wife and I are taking our young kids to Europe in a month, and I had to rethink our luggage situation since I will have hand to hold in addition to my bags. I settled on a bag like this (Tumi for my wife) as a carry-on and a larger wheeled bag for both me and my wife. With the use of the trolley strap, that should leave one free hand to hold the hand of our kids during our big adventure.

Thanks again!

That's part of the reason why I bought the 48 hours duffle as well but turns out the strap has quite a fair bit of give so if your wheeled luggage does not have a big surface area on the top, the duffle might slip off the top to the side because the strap isn't holding it tight to the luggage's trolley handle. Might not be much of an issue if you pack the duffle to max capacity though.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wish I had the chance to use this more, but enjoy the heck out of it when I do.

orig.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads