• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents - I have a vintage (with buttery leather) tan 242 that I will probably part ways with. LOVE it, but just have too much overlap. I know I've mentioned this before and I am guilty of not carving out time to take a few pics. But if anyone is interested, I'd really rather avoid all the bay fees and sell it to someone here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since my time away I've collected some things I wanted to share with the group. Well over a year ago it was debated on whether or not modern day Filson was using a lesser weight twill (ounce weight). Once upon a time Filson famously stated that each one of their luggage items was made with 22 ounce rugged twill. Today Bedrock Filson uses the often confusing statement of:

2ply.PNG

However in an semi-recent email I saw the claimed ounce weight of 17 ounces, which would certainly back up claims of the twill feeling lighter to the touch. I am definitely not debating the thickness of the twill, but that of the density of the material. It was just worth noting for posterity sake.

17 ounce.jpg

Speaking of "trends". Back in March eBay went through a Tin Cloth Filson Duster phase. The Otter Green is very captivating. If I were a gunslinger in Texas, I would look no further. :fonz:

Filson Duster.PNG

Anyone own one of these?

Filson Duster OG.PNG

Now this last one is just pure patina sex. This is exactly how I want my new 1960 Style 16 Forestry Cloth Cruiser to look like decades from now.

Future Style 16 Patina.jpg

Last edited:

GzStudio

Reaction score
Here's my disorganized shelf of the brown juice as it currently sits, many more not shown...not a flex by any means....and some (very small) filson content to stay true to the thread...

Attachments

• IMG_7302.jpg
    IMG_7302.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7303.jpg
    IMG_7303.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7306.jpg
    IMG_7306.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 54

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my disorganized shelf of the brown juice as it currently sits, many more not shown...not a flex by any means....and some (very small) filson content to stay true to the thread...

Nice collection GZ!! Also very nice 2019 George T Stagg. I've gotten to sample that bottle multiple times and it's very good despite being the lowest proof in the long line of GTS's. Also I recall you being a Rye guy, but according to your current stock, would lead me to believe you've also made some changes.

GzStudio

Reaction score
Nice collection GZ!! Also very nice 2019 George T Stagg. I've gotten to sample that bottle multiple times and it's very good despite being the lowest proof in the long line of GTS's. Also I recall you being a Rye guy, but according to your current stock, would lead me to believe you've also made some changes.

I actually have 4 of the '19 GTS.....I believe I got most of them in trades. I haven't opened one yet to try, but planning on it eventually. I do prefer rye, and my current favorite is whistle pig samurai scientist (I have 6, 4 are the black topped versions). I am a novice and will admit, a lot of what I have is based off of hype and must have's.....but, no idea personally if they are indeed must haves. I can say that I am not a fan of Lagavulin as it is not a taste I have acquired yet....I will say that I will probably end up trying to off load a bunch of what I have as I have not had any time to sit and try/enjoy these...that and a very expensive VW mk4 R32 habit has evolved.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually have 4 of the '19 GTS.....I believe I got most of them in trades. I haven't opened one yet to try, but planning on it eventually. I do prefer rye, and my current favorite is whistle pig samurai scientist (I have 6, 4 are the black topped versions). I am a novice and will admit, a lot of what I have is based off of hype and must have's.....but, no idea personally if they are indeed must haves. I can say that I am not a fan of Lagavulin as it is not a taste I have acquired yet....I will say that I will probably end up trying to off load a bunch of what I have as I have not had any time to sit and try/enjoy these...that and a very expensive VW mk4 R32 habit has evolved.

I hear ya! I remember that Whistle Pig Samurai, considering my bootlegging experience back in 2020. If I could urge you to keep 3 bottles it would be the Weller 12, the George T Stagg & the Colonel EH Taylor Barrel Proof. Those are all exceptional bourbons. Glad the VW project is still bringing you passion.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since my time away I've collected some things I wanted to share with the group. Well over a year ago it was debated on whether or not modern day Filson was using a lesser weight twill (ounce weight). Once upon a time Filson famously stated that each one of their luggage items was made with 22 ounce rugged twill. Today Bedrock Filson uses the often confusing statement of:

View attachment 1661705

However in an semi-recent email I saw the claimed ounce weight of 17 ounces, which would certainly back up claims of the twill feeling lighter to the touch. I am definitely not debating the thickness of the twill, but that of the density of the material. It was just worth noting for posterity sake.

View attachment 1661706

Speaking of "trends". Back in March eBay went through a Tin Cloth Filson Duster phase. The Otter Green is very captivating. If I were a gunslinger in Texas, I would look no further. :fonz:

View attachment 1661708
Anyone own one of these?

View attachment 1661707

Now this last one is just pure patina sex. This is exactly how I want my new 1960 Style 16 Forestry Cloth Cruiser to look like decades from now.

View attachment 1661709
I had an authentic Driza-a- bone duster like this for years. It was an amazing object and a total pain ********** to wear. So. Much. Fabric. Plus, as it was in black and I tended to wear 90s era oakleys it did look like I’d stepped off the set of the Matrix :)

teosamuel4

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows how to clean these stains off an old 256 briefcase? It has been sitting in storage for a couple years, theres also a musty smell
photo_2021-09-05_16-55-22.jpg

photo_2021-09-05_16-55-24.jpg

Attachments

• photo_2021-09-05_16-55-22.jpg
    photo_2021-09-05_16-55-22.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 20

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows how to clean these stains off an old 256 briefcase? It has been sitting in storage for a couple years, theres also a musty smell View attachment 1663736
View attachment 1663737

I'd give it a good going over on all surfaces (inside and out!) with a stiff brush to lift surface mould and mildew. Air it outside in sunshine so it gets a good dose of UV light, but musty smells can take a good while to lift. I've had this problem with waxed canvas bags of other brands, and found sometimes it never goes away completely. Perhaps once you've done all that you could apply wax if the smell just won't lift; this could even out any residual discolouration too.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I’ve dragged you all through the search for the perfect dad bag, I think it’s only appropriate to let you all know, my little son is here! He’s pretty perfect if you ask me, and he’ll definitely be a Filson man ;) I didn’t bother with the dad bag since they give you everything you need at the hospital but I still took my briefcase and medium duffle. It was quite the experience and we are now home settling into our new way of life.

EBF60FE6-7825-4F34-8A19-47B5EF9944BF.jpeg
0C4C0349-2F3E-48F3-8622-C7E45C0CEA8C.jpeg

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Since I’ve dragged you all through the search for the perfect dad bag, I think it’s only appropriate to let you all know, my little son is here! He’s pretty perfect if you ask me, and he’ll definitely be a Filson man ;) I didn’t bother with the dad bag since they give you everything you need at the hospital but I still took my briefcase and medium duffle. It was quite the experience and we are now home settling into our new way of life.

View attachment 1663908 View attachment 1663909
Congratulations to you and all the family. Am I the only one shocked that Junior hasn’t already swiped that Popeye hat from his dad? That day is coming quickly.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1663908 View attachment 1663909

Congrats @TinMan3 . Before I don't think you would've gone for Filson making kids clothing and baby accessories but never say never :fonz: . I can just see him wearing a tiny Mackinaw Cruiser and a baby sized Wool Packer Hat

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads