• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
Since I’ve dragged you all through the search for the perfect dad bag, I think it’s only appropriate to let you all know, my little son is here! He’s pretty perfect if you ask me, and he’ll definitely be a Filson man ;) I didn’t bother with the dad bag since they give you everything you need at the hospital but I still took my briefcase and medium duffle. It was quite the experience and we are now home settling into our new way of life.

View attachment 1663908 View attachment 1663909
Congratulations. What a blessing.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for the #260...a whole other story for another time.

So there might have been some wondering what I meant by this. In short I have decided to part ways with my Talon Era #260 Open Tote. I am just not using it much ever since I added a new GORUCK to my collection. PM me if anyone is interested, I am holding off listing it on eBay for awhile. Just to jog your memories this is an ultra rare Filson in that it came with the receipt stuffed in one of the pockets.

IMG_0711.JPG

Beautiful Mid 1990's Leather

IMG_0714.JPG

Obsessively cared for in the typical OCD-OMG way :lol:

IMG_0715.JPG

I know I say "arguable" often but in this case there is no argument, this is a 1994 Filson or earlier, depending on when it was built and how long it sat in the store for.

IMG_0716.JPG

I'm not looking to profit on this so it will be sold for less then what I would list it for on eBay, because I'd rather it go to someone I know that will put it to good use.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I’ve dragged you all through the search for the perfect dad bag, I think it’s only appropriate to let you all know, my little son is here! He’s pretty perfect if you ask me, and he’ll definitely be a Filson man ;) I didn’t bother with the dad bag since they give you everything you need at the hospital but I still took my briefcase and medium duffle. It was quite the experience and we are now home settling into our new way of life.

View attachment 1663908 View attachment 1663909
Is this a first forum baby?!
Huge congratulations to you all. It’s an amazing, never ending, frequently exhausting, but utterly wonderful ride.

There’s a Gaelic poem / blessing that seems fitting

May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind be always at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face;

the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,

may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

thewinedown

Reaction score
Does anyone have Filson’s denim work shirt? Thoughts on it? How’s the fit? Curious if I need true to size, or if it fits rather large. I’m typically an XL for the length, but I worry Filson might have pretty large cuts. I’m 6’3”/6’4”, but slim/athletic/tapered. I need a 36 sleeve, but I don’t need all of the width in the body. Unsure if Filson shirts have that extra width built in or if they’re relatively slim.

I’ve been looking for a good indigo denim shirt for ages and just can’t find one I like. I should have known I’d find one right here at home with Filson. It’s out of stock right now on Filson’s site, but I see it one other place.

Last edited:

IVIozartsGhost

Reaction score
Non-bag related, but I’m hoping y’all might be willing to humor a request on the topic of non-ball cap hats.

My wife wants to get her principle a Filson hat to wear for bus duty during the many rainy PNW months ahead. I’m not sure which hats I should be looking for, but I figure this is group would have some good recommendations for an outdoor hat for rainy days of bus duty. Doesn’t have to be Filson (but that would certainly fit his style), but I’d appreciate any suggestions.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non-bag related, but I’m hoping y’all might be willing to humor a request on the topic of non-ball cap hats.

My wife wants to get her principle a Filson hat to wear for bus duty during the many rainy PNW months ahead. I’m not sure which hats I should be looking for, but I figure this is group would have some good recommendations for an outdoor hat for rainy days of bus duty. Doesn’t have to be Filson (but that would certainly fit his style), but I’d appreciate any suggestions.
Tin cloth packer should fit the bill. Needs to be kept waxed, but is great when you want some coverage of neck/ shoulders, unlike a baseball hat.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score

Tin Cloth Packer if cool/cold. Insulated Tin Cloth Packer if cold. Wool Packer if well below freezing or a desire for that the classic wool look. Bush Hat if a wider brim is desired to keep more rain off one’s shoulders. Its temperature range is the same as the Tin Cloth Packer.

Any hat made by Tilley is a great hat. In hot weather, or hiking, the Airflo hat cannot be beat even on the hottest days. For paddling canoes and kayaks, I like that or the T5 Cotton Duck Hat.

What does the principle wear to work? Coat and tie? What outer garment does he typically wear? Now you did it. I’m vested. LOL

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
I caved and bought the Oil Finish Rucksack, and am happy with it! No problems with the finish quality at all. Tag says made in Vietnam. All stitching is tight and straight, and seams are tidy and even. I loaded it with gym and work gear to come into campus this morning so snapped some quick pics to share here for anyone interested.

The inside has a full-length padded laptop pocket, plus a space behind it that is useful for a light jacket, magazines, paperwork etc. The rest of the main compartment is a cave with no pockets nor other organisation. There is a drawstring neck closure to the main compartment that can stay folded down and out of the way, but in that position it covers the laptop sleeve (no problem if you don't use it).

The side bottle pockets are flat, so consume inner space if you insert a bottle; if the pack were full it'd be a PITA to get a bottle back in after removing it if stuff shifts a little. The front pockets have no internal organisation. The G-hooks to close the flap work well but you must ensure they're completely seated all the way in or will slide open.

In these shots it is empty and the sides trapeze out. I might customise mine with snaps on each side near the top to cinch it in a bit when not full. It really is a giant rectangle.

20210916_172137.jpg 20210916_172108.jpg 20210916_172144.jpg 20210916_172223.jpg 20210916_172215.jpg 20210916_172302.jpg

Attachments

• 20210916_172250.jpg
    20210916_172250.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I caved and bought the Oil Finish Rucksack, and am happy with it! No problems with the finish quality at all. Tag says made in Vietnam. All stitching is tight and straight, and seams are tidy and even. I loaded it with gym and work gear to come into campus this morning so snapped some quick pics to share here for anyone interested.

The inside has a full-length padded laptop pocket, plus a space behind it that is useful for a light jacket, magazines, paperwork etc. The rest of the main compartment is a cave with no pockets nor other organisation. There is a drawstring neck closure to the main compartment that can stay folded down and out of the way, but in that position it covers the laptop sleeve (no problem if you don't use it).

The side bottle pockets are flat, so consume inner space if you insert a bottle; if the pack were full it'd be a PITA to get a bottle back in after removing it if stuff shifts a little. The front pockets have no internal organisation. The G-hooks to close the flap work well but you must ensure they're completely seated all the way in or will slide open.

In these shots it is empty and the sides trapeze out. I might customise mine with snaps on each side near the top to cinch it in a bit when not full. It really is a giant rectangle.

View attachment 1669753 View attachment 1669754 View attachment 1669755 View attachment 1669756 View attachment 1669757 View attachment 1669758

Beautiful addition man! Love the contrast with the otter green and the red action tag. By the way I recall you searching for a 24HR Briefcase. I’ve been on the lookout for one but the market is just not on our side right now, as they are quite overpriced on the secondary market. I personally would not pay over $250 for one, but exceptions can be made. If you found a first edition (around 2014) I would snag it. I found a 2014 navy version that is pristine, and for such a low price too. The seller is on point!!

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Haha I've been looking at that one!! Wasn't sure how they compared to the current offerings and unsure either if navy will suit, but definitely pondering. Thanks for thinking of me!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha I've been looking at that one!! Wasn't sure how they compared to the current offerings and unsure either if navy will suit, but definitely pondering. Thanks for thinking of me!

I live to serve, no lie that is what keeps me going. Call me the Filson matchmaker. Many can concur, I’ve hooked up more members than I can recall. That’s a great deal, and Navy is a great choice. It patinas like a fine pair of raw denim. @linablair can attest to that!

Last edited:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1669753 View attachment 1669754 View attachment 1669755 View attachment 1669756 View attachment 1669757 View attachment 1669758
I also picked up one of those oil finish ruscksacks. Took it with me on a trip to Scottsdale and other spots around Arizona. It's a wonderful bag. Exactly what I was looking for. I have decided that I can't stand a bag that has too many 'organization' spots. Just a couple spots for keys and laptop, maybe sunglasses.

This bag fits the bill. We took it as our 'day pack' around town - threw some extra clothes in there and just hauled it around town. I didn't wear it too much while walking the streets (because that's overkill in my opinion).

It's awesome, though.

Also - would love to get your ideas about how you may customize the top with snaps. I notice that when you pull the drawstring, the sides come in a little bit.

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
I also picked up one of those oil finish ruscksacks. Took it with me on a trip to Scottsdale and other spots around Arizona. It's a wonderful bag. Exactly what I was looking for. I have decided that I can't stand a bag that has too many 'organization' spots. Just a couple spots for keys and laptop, maybe sunglasses.

This bag fits the bill. We took it as our 'day pack' around town - threw some extra clothes in there and just hauled it around town. I didn't wear it too much while walking the streets (because that's overkill in my opinion).

It's awesome, though.

Also - would love to get your ideas about how you may customize the top with snaps. I notice that when you pull the drawstring, the sides come in a little bit.

I would put bronze-toned snaps maybe one inch down from the top on each side, just to cinch it in a touch and reduce boxiness when not full. The snaps would be situated only perhaps three inches apart, but would reduce depth from seven to four inches at that point. This pinch will give a gentle taper towards the top but still allow easy access without having to unsnap them.

I'll have to take it to one of those keysmith / boot repair places as I don't think I have any snaps here myself. ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads