• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post numbers would probably be more reliable than page numbers now that you mention it. This thread shows up as 1080 pages to me, I think that's user configurable.

This is when I started the count I believe, for reference sake when I became active on the thread, crazy to see how much we've grown since, considering the thread was around for over 8 years prior. We nearly tripled in size in less then 2 years.

Last edited:

Rymanocerous

Reaction score
Alrighty, so here it is. I made it public so that anyone can edit without having to provide your email address. This may bite me in the butt, but I don't really see people doing it otherwise. This will be very cool if everybody buys in and add their bags to the list. I would love to get some of our regulars that we haven't heard from in a while to add their stuff. @Tom Lebrando @nevadabob @woodsjw @Fueco @patagoniacommunity @smcguirt and of course all you other fine fellows that post here regularly. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out if at all.

Style Forum Member Bag Inventory
My humble contribution has been added to you bohemiths. Unintended result of this list, I can now create a shopping list for all the things you have that I want :p

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rare Otter Green Talon Pullman in very good condition

Wonder where he got the idea for the year estimation, I'm going to take a wild guess he did some research on this thread. It matches closely with the Leather Era

93-94.PNG

Toombs

Reaction score
So I added my bags to the public google spreadsheet. Some one else could add the 3 digit model numbers to my entries. All my bags are from 1993, and I was not sure if the model numbers have changed.

Currently I am in 3rd place for the Filson G.A.S. standings. I suspect that would change if all the Jackets, Belts, Luggage Tags, Accessories, and clothing items were somehow tallied.

Thanks for all the posts! I do check in every week or so to see what has happened, and see if I can add to the discussion.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some one else could add the 3 digit model numbers to my entries. All my bags are from 1993, and I was not sure if the model numbers have changed.

Done and Done. I also fixed your material type from Tin Cloth to Twill. Good to have you back in the discussion. Have you been back to Cuba this past year?

Last edited:

Chupacabra

Reaction score
I got some cool little workshop pouches from one of the Seattle stores.

The big one is billowed and has a cool slip pocket inside.

Toombs

Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen Thanks for the corrections to my data, and I appreciate your interest in my Cuba trips. I was there last December and will go again in November of this year.

I go down there once or twice a year with groups from my church to help local Cuban Churches with construction projects. We bring money, supplies, and encouragement to the local congregations we work with. I have been going since 2003. At that time the Cubans that we worked with felt like a forgotten people because of the lack of interaction with the outside world. A lot has changed over the last 14 years, but it is still an island unto itself.

While our primary focus is the physical labor of building things by hand in a largely preindustrial economy; my greatest joy comes from the friendships that I have down there. I have seen my friends have babies, children marry, and spouses die, We work with the same group of translators and foremen on every trip. The churches we work with change as new projects are started and others completed.

The church we visited last year should be complete in 2020. They tore down the 100+ year old wooden church structure in 2003. Two men worked for about 5 years on their own to rebuild the building. We started helping them in 2008 and have been back every couple of years. Everything is done with very simple machines or by hand. One year we only drove a bunch of foundation pilings about 20’ into the bedrock with a 1,000 pound hand cranked pile driver. I have “commuted” to work by horse, bike, foot, tractor, and truck bed. The primary builder, Daniel, is a Civil Engineer in Cuba so this by far the largest and nicest church we have helped with.

Attached are a couple of construction pictures along with an obligatory Filson 256 picture. I use it covered with a towel as my pillow for the bedroll.

0AD6AE12-3442-4DD5-BFB4-C5D258FB180F.jpeg
768702A4-D88D-4438-98DA-13F77A800F8B.jpeg
D11D4617-6E34-49C3-8413-A88904816DED.jpeg

speedy611

Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen Thanks for the corrections to my data, and I appreciate your interest in my Cuba trips. I was there last December and will go again in November of this year.

I go down there once or twice a year with groups from my church to help local Cuban Churches with construction projects. We bring money, supplies, and encouragement to the local congregations we work with. I have been going since 2003. At that time the Cubans that we worked with felt like a forgotten people because of the lack of interaction with the outside world. A lot has changed over the last 14 years, but it is still an island unto itself.

While our primary focus is the physical labor of building things by hand in a largely preindustrial economy; my greatest joy comes from the friendships that I have down there. I have seen my friends have babies, children marry, and spouses die, We work with the same group of translators and foremen on every trip. The churches we work with change as new projects are started and others completed.

The church we visited last year should be complete in 2020. They tore down the 100+ year old wooden church structure in 2003. Two men worked for about 5 years on their own to rebuild the building. We started helping them in 2008 and have been back every couple of years. Everything is done with very simple machines or by hand. One year we only drove a bunch of foundation pilings about 20’ into the bedrock with a 1,000 pound hand cranked pile driver. I have “commuted” to work by horse, bike, foot, tractor, and truck bed. The primary builder, Daniel, is a Civil Engineer in Cuba so this by far the largest and nicest church we have helped with.

Attached are a couple of construction pictures along with an obligatory Filson 256 picture. I use it covered with a towel as my pillow for the bedroll.

View attachment 1204989View attachment 1204990View attachment 1204991
Wonderful stuff Toombs. Good for you. I can relate a little having spent time many years ago in Bolivia and Peru doing similar things. Life changing for me and others.

Coolwater

Reaction score
Alrighty, so here it is. I made it public so that anyone can edit without having to provide your email address. This may bite me in the butt, but I don't really see people doing it otherwise. This will be very cool if everybody buys in and add their bags to the list. I would love to get some of our regulars that we haven't heard from in a while to add their stuff. @Tom Lebrando @nevadabob @woodsjw @Fueco @patagoniacommunity @smcguirt and of course all you other fine fellows that post here regularly. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out if at all.

Style Forum Member Bag Inventory
I added mine in the report.
Strange but I feel that I should give a chance to an otter green something seeing the passion of @OtterMeanGreen for this color option. I have to admit I've never seen a used OG bag in the real life and could only judge based on picture so far, nevertheless my main reason for ignoring OG was because of the casual tone it gives to the final product. ]
Granted, tan is more casual than navy or black but less than OG. Anyway, I think a sportsman will do. Or a third MTB.

mgrennier

Reaction score
I added mine in the report.
Strange but I feel that I should give a chance to an otter green something seeing the passion of @OtterMeanGreen for this color option. I have to admit I've never seen a used OG bag in the real life and could only judge based on picture so far, nevertheless my main reason for ignoring OG was because of the casual tone it gives to the final product. ]
Granted, tan is more casual than navy or black but less than OG. Anyway, I think a sportsman will do. Or a third MTB.
Added the 7 in my current collection.

This could be interesting!

Rymanocerous

Reaction score

OutdoorsMed

Reaction score
Figured I’d show off something I just got that y’all would enjoy. Topo Designs Klettersack. I love the cordura, The zippers are beefy and sexy, and it smells nice (something I don’t like about my Filson bags.)

Made in USA and hits at about $180 but $100 on backcountry. This is the kind of amazing product slowly reminding me how overpriced Filson is becoming in some aspects. This bag feels solid, and I love the feel of this canvas. Really recommend this company to any curious.
34322115-9019-4711-A191-1A0075DB7B1B.jpeg59E18793-995B-434B-BD30-549D1169F8F3.jpeg

DuckMan_11

Reaction score
On the way back, I picked up a large leather zip pouch in moss. Here are pictures of both the leather computer sleeve and pouch from the outlet from our trip.
848BC662-C06A-4A2E-8CDE-9FC815EC53A4.jpeg
59A17E71-5074-476C-B753-D319C98AF716.jpeg
80227E9F-3D6D-4540-B232-BD3C6EB60360.jpeg
7F0F6325-42E3-4B2D-B603-60139AE0D214.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Figured I’d show off something I just got that y’all would enjoy. Topo Designs Klettersack. I love the cordura, The zippers are beefy and sexy, and it smells nice (something I don’t like about my Filson bags.)

Made in USA and hits at about $180 but $100 on backcountry. This is the kind of amazing product slowly reminding me how overpriced Filson is becoming in some aspects. This bag feels solid, and I love the feel of this canvas. Really recommend this company to any curious.
View attachment 1205146View attachment 1205147
I've heard of TOPO (or TOP-O as Chase Reeves says) but I am not a huge fan of their stuff. If I'm going canvas then I'm going Minaal or something from Tom Bihn. As far as Filson being on the expensive side, there's always going to be a premium for quality (hence the retired 120+ year slogan "Might as Well Have the you know"). However that being said there are certainly deals out there, you just need to be patient enough to wait around for them. My good friend just bought a practically new YKK Era Tan Tote #261 for $100 shipped.

P.S. I quite enjoy how my vintage Filson's smell, but that's just me

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.