• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toombs

Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen Thanks for the corrections to my data, and I appreciate your interest in my Cuba trips. I was there last December and will go again in November of this year.

I go down there once or twice a year with groups from my church to help local Cuban Churches with construction projects. We bring money, supplies, and encouragement to the local congregations we work with. I have been going since 2003. At that time the Cubans that we worked with felt like a forgotten people because of the lack of interaction with the outside world. A lot has changed over the last 14 years, but it is still an island unto itself.

While our primary focus is the physical labor of building things by hand in a largely preindustrial economy; my greatest joy comes from the friendships that I have down there. I have seen my friends have babies, children marry, and spouses die, We work with the same group of translators and foremen on every trip. The churches we work with change as new projects are started and others completed.

The church we visited last year should be complete in 2020. They tore down the 100+ year old wooden church structure in 2003. Two men worked for about 5 years on their own to rebuild the building. We started helping them in 2008 and have been back every couple of years. Everything is done with very simple machines or by hand. One year we only drove a bunch of foundation pilings about 20’ into the bedrock with a 1,000 pound hand cranked pile driver. I have “commuted” to work by horse, bike, foot, tractor, and truck bed. The primary builder, Daniel, is a Civil Engineer in Cuba so this by far the largest and nicest church we have helped with.

Attached are a couple of construction pictures along with an obligatory Filson 256 picture. I use it covered with a towel as my pillow for the bedroll.

0AD6AE12-3442-4DD5-BFB4-C5D258FB180F.jpeg
768702A4-D88D-4438-98DA-13F77A800F8B.jpeg
D11D4617-6E34-49C3-8413-A88904816DED.jpeg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen Thanks for the corrections to my data, and I appreciate your interest in my Cuba trips. I was there last December and will go again in November of this year.

I go down there once or twice a year with groups from my church to help local Cuban Churches with construction projects. We bring money, supplies, and encouragement to the local congregations we work with. I have been going since 2003. At that time the Cubans that we worked with felt like a forgotten people because of the lack of interaction with the outside world. A lot has changed over the last 14 years, but it is still an island unto itself.

While our primary focus is the physical labor of building things by hand in a largely preindustrial economy; my greatest joy comes from the friendships that I have down there. I have seen my friends have babies, children marry, and spouses die, We work with the same group of translators and foremen on every trip. The churches we work with change as new projects are started and others completed.

The church we visited last year should be complete in 2020. They tore down the 100+ year old wooden church structure in 2003. Two men worked for about 5 years on their own to rebuild the building. We started helping them in 2008 and have been back every couple of years. Everything is done with very simple machines or by hand. One year we only drove a bunch of foundation pilings about 20’ into the bedrock with a 1,000 pound hand cranked pile driver. I have “commuted” to work by horse, bike, foot, tractor, and truck bed. The primary builder, Daniel, is a Civil Engineer in Cuba so this by far the largest and nicest church we have helped with.

Attached are a couple of construction pictures along with an obligatory Filson 256 picture. I use it covered with a towel as my pillow for the bedroll.

View attachment 1204989 View attachment 1204990 View attachment 1204991

Wonderful stuff Toombs. Good for you. I can relate a little having spent time many years ago in Bolivia and Peru doing similar things. Life changing for me and others.

Coolwater

Reaction score
Alrighty, so here it is. I made it public so that anyone can edit without having to provide your email address. This may bite me in the butt, but I don't really see people doing it otherwise. This will be very cool if everybody buys in and add their bags to the list. I would love to get some of our regulars that we haven't heard from in a while to add their stuff. @Tom Lebrando @nevadabob @woodsjw @Fueco @patagoniacommunity @smcguirt and of course all you other fine fellows that post here regularly. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out if at all.

Style Forum Member Bag Inventory

I added mine in the report.
Strange but I feel that I should give a chance to an otter green something seeing the passion of @OtterMeanGreen for this color option. I have to admit I've never seen a used OG bag in the real life and could only judge based on picture so far, nevertheless my main reason for ignoring OG was because of the casual tone it gives to the final product. ]
Granted, tan is more casual than navy or black but less than OG. Anyway, I think a sportsman will do. Or a third MTB.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I added mine in the report.
Strange but I feel that I should give a chance to an otter green something seeing the passion of @OtterMeanGreen for this color option. I have to admit I've never seen a used OG bag in the real life and could only judge based on picture so far, nevertheless my main reason for ignoring OG was because of the casual tone it gives to the final product. ]
Granted, tan is more casual than navy or black but less than OG. Anyway, I think a sportsman will do. Or a third MTB.
Added the 7 in my current collection.

This could be interesting!

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OutdoorsMed

Reaction score
Figured I’d show off something I just got that y’all would enjoy. Topo Designs Klettersack. I love the cordura, The zippers are beefy and sexy, and it smells nice (something I don’t like about my Filson bags.)

Made in USA and hits at about $180 but $100 on backcountry. This is the kind of amazing product slowly reminding me how overpriced Filson is becoming in some aspects. This bag feels solid, and I love the feel of this canvas. Really recommend this company to any curious.
34322115-9019-4711-A191-1A0075DB7B1B.jpeg 59E18793-995B-434B-BD30-549D1169F8F3.jpeg

DuckMan_11

Reaction score
On the way back, I picked up a large leather zip pouch in moss. Here are pictures of both the leather computer sleeve and pouch from the outlet from our trip.
848BC662-C06A-4A2E-8CDE-9FC815EC53A4.jpeg
59A17E71-5074-476C-B753-D319C98AF716.jpeg
80227E9F-3D6D-4540-B232-BD3C6EB60360.jpeg
7F0F6325-42E3-4B2D-B603-60139AE0D214.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Figured I’d show off something I just got that y’all would enjoy. Topo Designs Klettersack. I love the cordura, The zippers are beefy and sexy, and it smells nice (something I don’t like about my Filson bags.)

Made in USA and hits at about $180 but $100 on backcountry. This is the kind of amazing product slowly reminding me how overpriced Filson is becoming in some aspects. This bag feels solid, and I love the feel of this canvas. Really recommend this company to any curious.
View attachment 1205146 View attachment 1205147

I've heard of TOPO (or TOP-O as Chase Reeves says) but I am not a huge fan of their stuff. If I'm going canvas then I'm going Minaal or something from Tom Bihn. As far as Filson being on the expensive side, there's always going to be a premium for quality (hence the retired 120+ year slogan "Might as Well Have the you know"). However that being said there are certainly deals out there, you just need to be patient enough to wait around for them. My good friend just bought a practically new YKK Era Tan Tote #261 for $100 shipped.

P.S. I quite enjoy how my vintage Filson's smell, but that's just me

woodsjw

Reaction score

View attachment 1205146 View attachment 1205147

I have one of these. Picked it up at the Topo store in Ft Collins a few weeks ago. Great little bag. I got the all black ballistic nylon & black leather version. Not sure what you mean by canvas though? Are you referring to the Cordura/Nylon?

Zeke90

Reaction score
On the way back, I picked up a large leather zip pouch in moss. Here are pictures of both the leather computer sleeve and pouch from the outlet from our trip. View attachment 1205182 View attachment 1205183 View attachment 1205184 View attachment 1205185

nice i got the vintage leather laptop case in dec, very sleek and love the texture. Fits my 15” mac pro well.

Just bought the small duffle on sale. Considering a 256 or a good condition 257 in the future. Still dunno why the 257 was discontinued though

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still dunno why the 257 was discontinued though

It’s a mystery to many why Filson does these things. Like retiring the 120 year old slogan “Might As Well Have The Best” for the most part, or discontinuing vastly popular and time tested products like the Original 266, Large Pullman, MTB, 257, 242 Large Carryon, Outfitter, 240 Small Carryon.

Sure Filson did try to replace some of these titans with new updated versions, but most or all of them ended up failing to compare in popularity (Small Pullman, Large Twill Carryon, Outfitter). I remain quite surprised that they haven’t yet discontinued the Rucksack, considering Filson has a few other cheaper to make Backpack options.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice i got the vintage leather laptop case in dec, very sleek and love the texture. Fits my 15” mac pro well.

Just bought the small duffle on sale. Considering a 256 or a good condition 257 in the future. Still dunno why the 257 was discontinued though
Honestly, when compared to the 256, it's a larger bag with an extra divider so the internal usable space isn't that much more. Externally, it's much larger in comparison and looks bulky from the added width and the stupid snap handles. The 256 is a cleaner, and more universally versatile bag then the 257. If you need additional space over the 256, the 258 seems like a better upgrade with a similar aesthetic to the 257.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, when compared to the 256, it's a larger bag with an extra divider so the internal usable space isn't that much more. Externally, it's much larger in comparison and looks bulky from the added width and the stupid snap handles. The 256 is a cleaner, and more universally versatile bag then the 257. If you need additional space over the 256, the 258 seems like a better upgrade with a similar aesthetic to the 257.
I think you're right about the 257, generally speaking, as it relates to the 256. I have both bags in tan. I go back and forth between the two but usually find that the 256 works better for daily carry (and really carries a LOT more than you'd think).

That said, a question for the group. Some of you have removed the center divider to make it a bag with a bigger middle pocket. I find myself not using the extra divider to store stuff (i'm able to put my trinkets on/in the one divider). For those that have removed the divider, are you finding it to be a good move on your parts? Any regrets?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This article has been very helpful to myself and many other people on this thread. It’s what I used when deciding between the 256 or 257. My first Filson was the Tan 70258 and I quickly exchanged it for a Otter Green 24 HR (not realizing the 257 existed). This was very early on in my Filson hobby. I thought that the 258 was too much like luggage and hadn’t the use for the extra space. The 257 remains the perfect in-between; it’s compact like a 256 and when packed right, has some of the extra space found on the 258. I later sold my 24HR and replaced it with my 257. The 24HR is also a great bag, and between the two (256 vs 24HR), I’d go with the latter. Would you rather have extra space or be almost totally maxed out is the question you should be asking

What’s in my 257. You certainly Can’t fit all this in a 256, but I’ve managed it in a 24HR. Also the snap handles come in handy when you want to roll up a rain jacket when traveling, but it’s not for everyone. With this setup I can still carry my travel cigar humidor but you could just as easily replace that with anything it’s size, like a pouch.

Also here’s an excellent video I shared recently, which might assist you

9F48D754-6CA2-4F6D-8693-29E59CCDF199.jpeg

There’s still plenty of extra space for travel needs, and maybe your lunch. I myself love the 3 pockets and extra divider, using them for easy access to my charging cords and mouse. It’s nice not having to open up separate pouches or have stuff scattered all over. Plus it’s nice putting my laptop in extra divider so I can load up the back pocket (closest to your body) with softer goods for more comfortable carry.

5B3F49C8-18E1-4622-9444-12AB94DF01ED.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads