• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, fab work Otter. Did you keep a count of the total number of contributing members? Do we therefore know the average bag count per member, as well as the average split of colour per member?

Thanks Speedy. I'm statistically a geek but not that much of one :lol: , my focus was predominantly on total number.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Speedy. I'm statistically a geek but not that much of one :lol: , my focus was predominantly on total number.
Pity. I was thinking we were only a short distance from creating a predictive algorithm to know what bag and what colour a new member or existing member would buy next!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pity. I was thinking we were only a short distance from creating a predictive algorithm to know what bag and what colour a new member or existing member would buy next!

In order for that I would have to do a complete overhaul of the count, which would take months and I think take some of the fun out of it, as this was just meant to be an update of an already existing style tally mark count. The algorithm would only predict the latest members or new editions (like your 230 or mgrennier's Journeyman). However this new update has already proved Otter Green's rise in popularity; nearly doubling in figure from 87 to 154, which I think is pretty cool. That translates to a 77.1% increase. Tan saw a mere 52% increase by comparison.

Last edited:

FilsonDude

Reaction score
This might make your day OMG, my most recent purchase and not included in my stats because I haven’t picked it up yet is a OG 256

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here’s an idea, what if I created a shared google doc where each person would be able to go in and add their own collection with specifics such as color, model, era, etc. and we could then run metrics on the collective group. The only issue would be, would people care enough to go in and input their own information... lol.

That is the beauty of Otter’s work. It’s all gleaned from public information. Any thoughts?

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here’s an idea, what if I created a shared google doc where each person would be able to go in and add their own collection with specifics such as color, model, era, etc. and we could then run metrics on the collective group. The only issue would be, would people care enough to go in and input their own information... lol.

That is the beauty of Otter’s work. It’s all gleaned from public information. Any thoughts?

I'd add mine in.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something just calls to mind "grandma's rug" when I look at this Mackinaw vest

rug.PNG

Stratkat

Reaction score

I’d add mine, all green by the way (except part of my heritage bag of course).

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm on the fence to be honest. This would be more like a "moving forward count" then a thread collective, as we have many members that no longer contribute or in hibernation, which were part of my recent count and especially past counts. This one alone took me 4 days, I can't even imagine the time it would take going back through the 10,000 some pages when I first began the competition, if you'd want to fill in bag model or era criteria.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm on the fence to be honest. This would be more like a "moving forward count" then a thread collective, as we have many members that no longer contribute or in hibernation, which were part of my recent count and especially past counts. This one alone took me 4 days, I can't even imagine the time it would take going back through the 10,000 some pages when I first began the competition, if you'd want to fill in bag model or era criteria.
Cool, I’ll go ahead and create it tonight and see if it catches on.

I agree, this will be different from your analysis and will likely never be able to be updated for people who no longer participate. I think you should continue your count going forward as well!

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool, I’ll go ahead and create it tonight and see if it catches on.

I agree, this will be different from your analysis and will likely never be able to be updated for people who no longer participate. I think you should continue your count going forward as well!
Then, after you get it done, we'll sell it to Filson for "market research" and they can provide us all with some cool FRD gear as payment.

HA

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alrighty, so here it is. I made it public so that anyone can edit without having to provide your email address. This may bite me in the butt, but I don't really see people doing it otherwise. This will be very cool if everybody buys in and add their bags to the list. I would love to get some of our regulars that we haven't heard from in a while to add their stuff. @Tom Lebrando @nevadabob @woodsjw @Fueco @patagoniacommunity @smcguirt and of course all you other fine fellows that post here regularly. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out if at all.

Style Forum Member Bag Inventory

DuckMan_11

Reaction score
I stopped by the outlet last week on my way up to our place in Northern Wisconsin. Picked up three pieces of clothing and the medium laptop sleeve. Possibly swinging back by on the way home. I will post some picks of the laptop sleeve at some point.

Emthigious

Reaction score
Alrighty, so here it is. I made it public so that anyone can edit without having to provide your email address. This may bite me in the butt, but I don't really see people doing it otherwise. This will be very cool if everybody buys in and add their bags to the list. I would love to get some of our regulars that we haven't heard from in a while to add their stuff. @Tom Lebrando @nevadabob @woodsjw @Fueco @patagoniacommunity @smcguirt and of course all you other fine fellows that post here regularly. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out if at all.

Cool! I've added my stuff. Did you do this on purpose:

It really hurts.. ;-)

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, added all mine. I appear to be tied with you for GAS - not sure if that’s good or bad! Thanks for starting this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads