• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kcherney

Reaction score
Having been to the Seattle store/factory several times, I don't think it is really the type of place you can just take something for an on-the-spot immediate repair, but I may be wrong.The Seattle Filson is essentially a flagship store attached to the factory. There aren't really a lot of items/people going back and forth between the two, it is more just a store with a large window looking into the factory. The factory part sometimes has a lot of people working in it and other times is almost completely empty. That being said, I would think you could drop the bag off for a repair and have them ship it back to you, but I am not sure if they can do a quick one-off job. Honestly, your best bet is to call and just figure out what the deal is...the people in the Seattle store are incredibly nice and helpful, I am sure they can give you a good answer as to what your options are.

Thanks for the advice. I'll do that before I arrive this weekend.

I usually don't keep my 257 very full, but with school picking up the intensity, I had a lot of stuff with me today. Here's today's carry for people still unsure about what size they should get:

-13" Macbook Pro in sleeve (plus charger)
-Large hardcover accounting textbook
-Medium softcover english textbook
-Coil Notebook
-Two paperback novels
-Water
-Sunscreen
-Bike repair tools (Extra tube, pump, tire levers, allenkey set, screwdriver, bike light)
-Pens/pencils/eraser
-Calculator
-Sunglasses
-Snack

I could probably squeeze in one more notebook and other small odds and ends, but it's pretty full. It was an exceptionally heavy load to carry on my bike, should have switched to my larger backpack. Anyway, hope that post helps anyone who's still not sure about whether to get a 256 or 257.

mike134

Reaction score
yep, some people on here have tried washing/drying it. I think the results were mixed. The wax comes out and the bag shrinks (but unevenly)

raneym305

Reaction score

Have anyone ever put their Filson in washer/dryer to both clean and age it?

I tried it once to clean and old bag that I picked up for $50. Not only did it shrink unevenly, but the wax came out unevenly. Some places kept the dark tan/yellowish color while other spots were more of a khaki color. Not only that, the original stains I was trying to get out weren't removed.

In my experience, washing and drying a bag will make it look more goofy than aged.

If you want an aged Filson Bag, there are plenty of them on ebay.

Last edited:

tomatic

Reaction score

Have anyone ever put their Filson in washer/dryer to both clean and age it?

I wash and re-wax all my Filson bags since I a) like the look and b) want them to be a bit smaller.

Here's the Apolis 256 - I just like the pattern the leather develops.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all the responses...It seems like the results are mixed.

Rather than the washer/dryer combo, I should try tying it to the back of my car and drag it down a dirt road or leave it out in the Sun for a prolong period of time. :)

Last edited:

uncleguito

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'll do that before I arrive this weekend.

I usually don't keep my 257 very full, but with school picking up the intensity, I had a lot of stuff with me today. Here's today's carry for people still unsure about what size they should get:

-13" Macbook Pro in sleeve (plus charger)
-Large hardcover accounting textbook
-Medium softcover english textbook
-Coil Notebook
-Two paperback novels
-Water
-Sunscreen
-Bike repair tools (Extra tube, pump, tire levers, allenkey set, screwdriver, bike light)
-Pens/pencils/eraser
-Calculator
-Sunglasses
-Snack

I could probably squeeze in one more notebook and other small odds and ends, but it's pretty full. It was an exceptionally heavy load to carry on my bike, should have switched to my larger backpack. Anyway, hope that post helps anyone who's still not sure about whether to get a 256 or 257.

Do you have a pouch or something that you put all the smaller things in (ie. sunscreen) or do you just throw them into the center pocket?

I've been trying to figure out how to organize my smaller items for my 256, as they currently just rest in the center in an unorganized manner.

Last edited:

quuz

Reaction score
So Im looking for a duffle for shorter trips/weekends. I currently have a 256 in tan that Im very pleased with.

Since I travel alot with ryanair it should match the dimensions of their cabin luggage:
22" x 16" x 8"

I cant really decide between the small or medium duffle. The duffle should approximately fit:

5 shirts
2 shoes
1 jacket
2 sweaters
1 macbook air with charger
a book
misc items shuch as keys, passport, headphones and so on

THe dimensions of the small duffle are:
18" W x 10 " H x 11" D

And the medium duffle
25" W x 14" H x 13" D

Know I know the mdium duffle is slightly to big to fit their regulations but since its a soft bag you can just cramp it togheter

raneym305

Reaction score

So Im looking for a duffle for shorter trips/weekends. I currently have a 256 in tan that Im very pleased with.
Since I travel alot with ryanair it should match the dimensions of their cabin luggage:
22" x 16" x 8"
I cant really decide between the small or medium duffle. The duffle should approximately fit:
5 shirts
2 shoes
1 jacket
2 sweaters
a book
18" W x 10 " H x 11" D
And the medium duffle
25" W x 14" H x 13" D
Know I know the mdium duffle is slightly to big to fit their regulations but since its a soft bag you can just cramp it togheter

I'm going to sound like a broken record, since I just brought the topic of a good overnight/short weekend bag up a few pages ago- But, having used multiple Filson bags for numerous uses, I strongly recommend the Sportsman bag or the Medium Travel bag for the quick trips. Both should comply with carry-on requirements (I've never had any issues), Both are larger than the Small Duffle, and both (especially the Sportsman) offer more compartments for organization and storage.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm going to sound like a broken record, since I just brought the topic of a good overnight/short weekend bag up a few pages ago- But, having used multiple Filson bags for numerous uses, I strongly recommend the Sportsman bag or the Medium Travel bag for the quick trips. Both should comply with carry-on requirements (I've never had any issues), Both are larger than the Small Duffle, and both (especially the Sportsman) offer more compartments for organization and storage.

I'm glad to see the Sportsman getting some love, and I'm surprised it doesn't come up more often. I have the Sportsman, and have used it on trips recently and didn't have a problem with any of them. It's very handy to have the main compartment and the smaller ones, and the open pockets on the outside are great to put your passport case and stuff to retrieve it more often.

You can pack a lot of stuff in it and make it really heavy though, so be careful. It's a pretty awesome bag.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

22" x 16" x 8"
5 shirts
2 shoes
1 jacket
2 sweaters
a book
18" W x 10 " H x 11" D
And the medium duffle
25" W x 14" H x 13" D

I've used the medium duffle on RyanAir a bunch of times, no issues at all and it's just a bit heavier. Still think the bag is more functional for travel than any other bag. if you need organization you could always just get the different mini bags to put inside

kcherney

Reaction score
Do you have a pouch or something that you put all the smaller things in (ie. sunscreen) or do you just throw them into the center pocket?

I've been trying to figure out how to organize my smaller items for my 256, as they currently just rest in the center in an unorganized manner.

How the smaller things are organized:
-Water bottle and sunglasses in the outer side pouches where the shoulder strap connects to the bag. My water bottle fits in here perfectly.
-Bike tire tube and sunscreen inside the inner open-bottom pouches in the middle.
-Small bike tools/calculator/energy bar in the inner closed-bottom pouches.

Laptop lives in the furthest rear inner section, notebooks, texts, and paperbacks all in the middle, larger bike tools in the furthest front inner section of the bag. I usually don't put anything in the rear outer pocket because that side is against my back while I cycle, but other random items I'm carrying often get thrown in the front outer pocket. Utilizing those forgettable side pockets where the water and sunglasses is helpful for fitting more things, as well as I can grab both of them without opening the bag (water especially handy while cycling in the summer.)

mike134

Reaction score
how do you fit a water bottle in the 256 side pouch (where the straps connect)? I don't even think I could fit a pen in there. Maybe I need to break it in more?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads