• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mike134

Reaction score
I just picked up the medium duffle and it is very large. Larger than a carry-on size limit if filled to capacity. The "large" size would be for well over a week of travel (at least the way I pack).

Also, I think if you filled the large duffle up, it would be way heavier than you would be willing to carry. Although, perhaps you are some sort of muscle man? I've seen pictures of people carrying the large size, but it always looks less than half full.

These guys say the large is for "a month-long trip" http://www.formatmag.com/news/filson-large-duffle-bag/

Last edited:

Essential

Reaction score
Any comparison pictures that definitively show the difference between the 256 and 257?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just picked up the medium duffle and it is very large.  Larger than a carry-on size limit if filled to capacity.  The "large" size would be for well over a week of travel (at least the way I pack). 

Also, I think if you filled the large duffle up, it would be way heavier than you would be willing to carry.  Although, perhaps you are some sort of muscle man?  I've seen pictures of people carrying the large size, but it always looks less than half full. 

These guys say the large is for "a month-long trip" http://www.formatmag.com/news/filson-large-duffle-bag/

I've used a medium by itself (with North Face backpack) for trips longer than one month, really depends on how you pack. FWIW I've carried a fully packed medium duffle on multiple domestic flights as well as a few European budget airlines. Never an issue for me and was never asked to check size. I'm pretty sure one could squeeze it into the check-in box as well

Any comparison pictures that definitively show the difference between the 256 and 257?

Check near start of thread

raneym305

Reaction score

I'm a rookie in regards to Filson. But which bag would you recommend for traveling for a week or so, the medium or the large duffel? 

First off, I personally am not a fan of the duffles. They are not sturdy enough and are not as functional as the other bags. Funtion is very important on a multi-day trip.

With that being said...

I just took a large carry-on (style #70242) on a 5 day fishing and sailing trip and it was packed pretty full so, unless you are an extremely light packer, I don't think it would cut it for "a week or so".

The pullman (style #70243) has a similar design (fully opens and lays flat with internal straps) but is a bit larger. I know a few people who have it, and none have had issues with using it as a carry on, as long as it's not heavily packed and bulging.

The travel bag-large (style #70248) is slightly larger than the pullman, but only opens along the top similar to the duffle bag. Again, if it is not filled to maximum capacity, it can be used as a carry-on... But not using it to it's full extent kind of defeats the purpose of owning it.

My final suggestion is the outfitter bag-extra large (style #70239). I think these bags are really cool, and are not as monstrous sized as the pictures on the Filson website would lead you to believe (before seeing one in real life, I expected it to be the size of a small coffee table or ottoman)! This will definitely be a sufficient bag for a multi-week trip! You would definitely have to check this bag if traveling by air though.

I can get by without doing any laundry on a 7 day trip with my large carry-on (#70242), garment bag (#70270), and my briefcase (#70256) ; but I'm usually traveling for work, in which I need to bring a couple suits (the garment bag is not only great for suits, but also extra shoes and toiletries). If this isn't the case for you, go with the outfitter-extra large and I'm sure you'll be much happier with having too much space, as opposed to too little space.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Jeff H

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Medium Travel Bag and a Small Duffel Bag.

On both bags, when zipped up, there are holes at each end of the zipper track. On the Travel Bag, the holes are about 3/8", and on the Small Duffel, the holes are about 1/4".

Could someone who also owns these bags let me know if they have the same holes? They're mostly protected by the leather tabs, but it seems odd to me that the zippers wouldn't be slightly longer.

I'm probably just being overly concerned, but I'd at least like to verify that the bags are supposed to be like this, and they didn't mess up in the construction of mine.

Thanks!

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm a rookie in regards to Filson. But which bag would you recommend for traveling for a week or so, the medium or the large duffel? 

I just picked up the medium duffle and it is very large.  Larger than a carry-on size limit if filled to capacity.  The "large" size would be for well over a week of travel (at least the way I pack). 

Also, I think if you filled the large duffle up, it would be way heavier than you would be willing to carry.  Although, perhaps you are some sort of muscle man?  I've seen pictures of people carrying the large size, but it always looks less than half full. 

First off, I personally am not a fan of the duffles. They are not sturdy enough and are not as functional as the other bags. Funtion is very important on a multi-day trip.

The large is indeed large. We have a couple that we use for skiing & fishing trips (we stuff them full and ship them out ahead of time - they hold 50-60 lbs. of gear - you do not want ot be lugging these things through airports). We've had them for 15+ and have taken a real beating over the years. The are extrememely tough & durable (one has developed a tiny rip in the canvas that we 'mended w/ a piece of duct tape inside & out). As for being functional :confused: - it is a duffle bag, a bag does ot get any more functional than that.

Last edited:

raneym305

Reaction score

The large is indeed large. We have a couple that we use for skiing & fishing trips (we stuff them full and ship them out ahead of time - they hold 50-60 lbs. of gear - you do not want ot be lugging these things through airports). We've had them for 15+ and have taken a real beating over the years. The are extrememely tough & durable (one has developed a tiny rip in the canvas that we 'mended w/ a piece of duct tape inside & out). As for being functional :confused: - it is a duffle bag, a bag does ot get any more functional than that.

Don't get me wrong, Filson makes a damn good duffle. I've purchased a small and a large; but the small is now used as a gym bag and the large was commandeered by my little brother. I just find the lack of additional compartments and/or interior straps hindering when using the duffles for a multi-activity trip (i.e. separating shoes, wet clothes, dress shirts). When traveling, I often need a nicer outfit for going out on the town or taking out a client, as well as an outfit I can work out or hike in. Even for an overnight trip, I find the Sportsman a much more practical bag than a small duffle. My wife also has a tendency to put her dirty clothes in my bag's when traveling together.

But that's just my two cents. If you just need a bag to throw your stuff in and have the opportunity/time to iron and/or wash your clothes that should be kept nice, go for the duffle. It's less expensive the other Filson bags with comparable size and will last you a lifetime!

converge

Reaction score

I recently picked up a Medium Travel Bag and a Small Duffel Bag.
On both bags, when zipped up, there are holes at each end of the zipper track. On the Travel Bag, the holes are about 3/8", and on the Small Duffel, the holes are about 1/4".
Could someone who also owns these bags let me know if they have the same holes? They're mostly protected by the leather tabs, but it seems odd to me that the zippers wouldn't be slightly longer.
I'm probably just being overly concerned, but I'd at least like to verify that the bags are supposed to be like this, and they didn't mess up in the construction of mine.
Thanks!

My 257 has these holes, which are about 3/8". My medium travel bag is at home so I can't check that right now.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Don't get me wrong, Filson makes a damn good duffle. I've purchased a small and a large; but the small is now used as a gym bag and the large was commandeered by my little brother. I just find the lack of additional compartments and/or interior straps hindering when using the duffles for a multi-activity trip (i.e. separating shoes, wet clothes, dress shirts). When traveling, I often need a nicer outfit for going out on the town or taking out a client, as well as an outfit I can work out or hike in. Even for an overnight trip, I find the Sportsman a much more practical bag than a small duffle. My wife also has a tendency to put her dirty clothes in my bag's when traveling together.
But that's just my two cents. If you just need a bag to throw your stuff in and have the opportunity/time to iron and/or wash your clothes that should be kept nice, go for the duffle. It's less expensive the other Filson bags with comparable size and will last you a lifetime!

I gottcha - sturdy as in "will not cause wrinkles". Yes, a duffle is not the way to go for keeping stuff nice &/or separate. It is decidedly not a good choice for if you need a suitcase - it's for jamming a lot of stuff into.

raneym305

Reaction score

I gottcha - sturdy as in "will not cause wrinkles". Yes, a duffle is not the way to go for keeping stuff nice &/or separate. It is decidedly not a good choice for if you need a suitcase - it's for jamming a lot of stuff into.

By "sturdy" I mean, the large duffle can bend or fold in the middle while carrying it by the strap if it's not packed full enough. This doesn't alter the comfort or weight distribution at all, it was just something that aesthetically bothered me. Unlike most cheap duffle bags, Filson's don't have any plastic or cardboard reinforcements in the bottom to keep it stiff.

Again, this is only my two cents. Mustardontoast, if this doesn't bother you, or you only plan on using the duffle on long trips in which the bag will be fully packed, then I guess this is a non issue. I just wanted to share my thoughts.

tomatic

Reaction score
Does anybody have information whether a 13" MB air fits into the rather narrow opening of a medium field bag?

goldenboy16

Reaction score
does anyone have any experience with the PASSAGE WOMEN'S BUSINESS TOTE? Style #73036

my gf is interested in it and I wanted to see if anyone had any feedback about it.

f800gs

Reaction score

Does anybody have information whether a 13" MB air fits into the rather narrow opening of a medium field bag?

I have the 13 MBA in a SF bags sleeve and it will not fit in my med. field bag.

Hope this helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads