Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. harveyrabbit

harveyrabbit Senior member

Any experiences or feedback on the rucksack? I have typically used my sportsman bag as a smaller, more portable kit than my duffle. I really like the sportsman due the many compartments. But I am looking for something that may be easier to get around with for day excursions. I like the idea of the rucksack for a camera, laptop, water bottle and other sundries, but would appreciate any insights from current or former owners.

Thanks.

2. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Did you mean color or bits of the leather? I've never actually noticed either happening, but doesn't mean it's not happening.

3. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Thesilentist posted this on his tumblr:

4. Patrick James

Patrick James Senior member

Colour from the leather. I suppose if you're wearing a rather dark flannel underneath, it's not noticeable. But a lightweight button-up or light coloured t-shirt will see transfer from the armpits up to the top of the shoulder.

5. mike134

mike134 Well-Known Member

lol, I think the guy that said the white scuffs are "white out" is making fun of me. But I think it really is paint transfer from a poorly painted drywall wall.

6. raneym305

raneym305 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a used medium or duffle in either tan or brown.

I know I know... I was just criticizing the duffle a couple of weeks ago, but this is a gift for my brother-in-law and he is dead set on the medium duffle.

If you have one you'd be willing to let go of for a reasonable price or are looking to trade for something, PM me.

I'm having a tough time finding a used medium duffle on Craigslist and Ebay.

Thanks alot!

7. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Which size duffel is best for short trips (weekend...up to a week). Medium or large? I don't really have anywhere to go to compare sizes.

8. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Worth a PM...

9. raneym305

I PMed him. He said he'd get back to me after the weekend. Haven't heard back yet. My Bro-in-law's birthday isn't until the first of September, so I'm not on a time crunch.

I've got a green Large Wheeled Duffle I was going to give him, but he hasn't stopped talking about how much he wants a medium duffle for the last couple of weeks, so I figured I'd try to find one of those instead.

10. mike134

mike134 Well-Known Member

I had gotten a PM back from huskeyzealot, he wanted $200 for the tan medium duffle plus shipping. You can get a new one for $250 shipped, so probably not worth it to buy used.

11. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Some people think they are worth more used. At least one ebay seller I saw this past week. I am not one of these people.

12. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

+1

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

13. Caboose66

Caboose66 Member

raney,
    Looks like you're in the Seattle area... have you thought about a trip up to the beautiful Skagit Valley (Burlington) to peruse the Filson Outlet? Last time I was in there, they had tons of various luggage items.... can't be sure you'd find the medium duffle though. Might be worth a call ... (360)503-1897

14. harveyrabbit

harveyrabbit Senior member

Thanks to everyone that gave feedback on the rucksak. I tried it on today and found I didn't like how it rode on my back. Disappointing. I thought I might be able to get by with a medium field bag, but I opted out. Bummed I don't have something a bit more portable for my next trip, but I will manage with my sportsmen and new wheeled duffle.

@raneym305- I have used the medium duffle in the past, but depending on the type of travel your brother-in-law does the wheels may be doing him a big favor. If you have to tote the duffel for any distance, and assuming you aren't in the field, the wheels win.

-H

15. raneym305

Yeah, I checked it out last week. They didn't have any 2nd medium duffles. Everything was vintage. I'll just keep looking around.

Speaking of the Burlington Store: If there's anyone planning on making up trip up here to the Great Northwest, I highly recommend you go to both the Burlington store and The Flagship store!