• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Faster SF for XP Users

chet31

Reaction score
If SF has been working much slower for you since the changeover, and you use Windows XP, quick tip - use Google Chrome as your browser when using SF. Moving from IE to Chrome has made SF usable once again. I don't like the fact that I have to use a different browser just for SF, but there it is.

All credit to LA Guy in the New Forum Support forum. He made the following observation:

"XP is a toughie, because we are admittedly a little JS heavy, and XP doesn't like JS much. Try the Chrome browser, maybe?"

BTW, when I posited that the operating system made a difference in SF user speed in a previous thread, the next post was:

"This is probably the stupidest post I have ever read. I can guarantee you that it is not your operating system that is causing all these websites to load slowly."

Any other pearls of wisdom Bubbly?

Anyway, just throwing this out there for XP users who like SF, but have been frustrated by the speed since the changeover.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Google anything sucks. There are other, better and safer ways to make SF load faster and make your internet surfing safer and private, but one thing that won't achieve this is anything Microsoft or anything Google.
Like 99% of computer and internet users, your computer is probably infested with trojans, worms, viruses and data miners, to name just a few things that bog down a computer.

Last edited:

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a web developer by day and Chrome is by far the fastest browser I've used.
IE is so slow that it's actually quicker to copy a link from there and paste it into Chrome than to follow it in IE itself.

BaaBaaBlackFleece

Reaction score
i made the switch over to chrome just for SF awhile ago, and i've since found myself using more and more for everything else. even though i was hesitant at first, its been impressing me....and no, my comp. isn't chock full of nasties either......

chet31

Reaction score

Google anything sucks. There are other, better and safer ways to make SF load faster and make your internet surfing safer and private, but one thing that won't achieve this is anything Microsoft or anything Google.
Like 99% of computer and internet users, your computer is probably infested with trojans, worms, viruses and data miners, to name just a few things that bog down a computer.

Man O' Lint, you are clearly a very smart man in your own mind.

LOL, why are you still on XP? Windows 7 is very stable.

Well, on the positive side, I saved money by skipping Vista, and XP still works better for certain business applications.

i made the switch over to chrome just for SF awhile ago, and i've since found myself using more and more for everything else. even though i was hesitant at first, its been impressing me....and no, my comp. isn't chock full of nasties either......

I think I will be doing the same.

I'm a web developer by day and Chrome is by far the fastest browser I've used.
IE is so slow that it's actually quicker to copy a link from there and paste it into Chrome than to follow it in IE itself.

I'm sold.

Why on earth would anyone be using IE to begin with? You should be using either Chrome or Firefox (or possibly Opera, if you're so inclined) for everything.

Well, I guess I should have been.

Has anyone else had their Chrome deleted by Microsoft Internet Security. Microsoft indicates this was a "mistake" and have apparently corrected the problem in the latest update.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LOL, why are you still on XP? Windows 7 is very stable.

Could be using old PC or it could be a company PC. Many enterprises are still using XP. My office PC is XP Pro, there is no way it could run Win 7, it's just too old.

Last edited:

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Microsoft Security Essentials? A light virus, malware and spam protection program? Gmail? If you're using other ****** mail services (hotmail, yahoo, etc.) that's more secure, especially if you use the authenticator. Sure, ensuring your computer isn't infested with bloatware, malware, etc. that's bogging down the system the only other way to make styleforum load faster is either on their end or your end by upgrading your tech (if your computer is from the early 90s or something) or paying for faster internet speeds. Then again I never have a problem with the site.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads