• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Faster SF for XP Users

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Google anything sucks. There are other, better and safer ways to make SF load faster and make your internet surfing safer and private, but one thing that won't achieve this is anything Microsoft or anything Google.
Like 99% of computer and internet users, your computer is probably infested with trojans, worms, viruses and data miners, to name just a few things that bog down a computer.

Microsoft Security Essentials? A light virus, malware and spam protection program? Gmail? If you're using other ****** mail services (hotmail, yahoo, etc.) that's more secure, especially if you use the authenticator. Sure, ensuring your computer isn't infested with bloatware, malware, etc. that's bogging down the system the only other way to make styleforum load faster is either on their end or your end by upgrading your tech (if your computer is from the early 90s or something) or paying for faster internet speeds. Then again I never have a problem with the site.

Nothing wrong with my tech over here and you've only revealed your ignorance on this subject.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nothing wrong with my tech over here and you've only revealed your ignorance on this subject.

If you had just said microsoft, you would have just been pegged as an apple fanboy. There would be elements of truth in the statement, but it's false in various other regards. But adding google in there just makes you look like an idiot.

IE is crap, and always had been. The only people using it are people who are too ignorant of computers to switch to Chrome or Firefox, or those locked in by corporate systems designed by idiots that insist on IE6 because it was designed to only work with IE6, which is possible because microsoft deliberately made it with somewhat different standards so that many webpages designed on and for IE6 would be incompatible with other browsers. Which was, of course, a move designed to leverage their market share into crushing other browsers. Bad corporate IT departments took the easy way out and went along with it, and as a result their networks are pretty damn insecure, since IE6 is notorious for being a security nightmare.

Google, on the other hand, makes good stuff. To claim that you're never going to achieve safety browsing the internet with something google makes is flat out wrong. I personally use firefox because I love being able to do all sorts of random shiat with my browser, but Chrome is certainly respectable.

But, with the PC comment, I suspect you are just an apple fanboy (or worse, a linux evangelist) with a tinfoil hat anti google thing going on. You were asked for a citation, and the best you could come up with was "because I said so". Not even a clarification as to how Microsoft or google products might be insecure. You've lost the argument. Even if you dig something up, bald assertions backed up with nothing other than your own nonexistant authority automatically loses a debate.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you had just said microsoft, you would have just been pegged as an apple fanboy. There would be elements of truth in the statement, but it's false in various other regards. But adding google in there just makes you look like an idiot.
IE is crap, and always had been. The only people using it are people who are too ignorant of computers to switch to Chrome or Firefox, or those locked in by corporate systems designed by idiots that insist on IE6 because it was designed to only work with IE6, which is possible because microsoft deliberately made it with somewhat different standards so that many webpages designed on and for IE6 would be incompatible with other browsers. Which was, of course, a move designed to leverage their market share into crushing other browsers. Bad corporate IT departments took the easy way out and went along with it, and as a result their networks are pretty damn insecure, since IE6 is notorious for being a security nightmare.
Google, on the other hand, makes good stuff. To claim that you're never going to achieve safety browsing the internet with something google makes is flat out wrong. I personally use firefox because I love being able to do all sorts of random shiat with my browser, but Chrome is certainly respectable.
But, with the PC comment, I suspect you are just an apple fanboy (or worse, a linux evangelist) with a tinfoil hat anti google thing going on. You were asked for a citation, and the best you could come up with was "because I said so". Not even a clarification as to how Microsoft or google products might be insecure. You've lost the argument. Even if you dig something up, bald assertions backed up with nothing other than your own nonexistant authority automatically loses a debate.

Not a new phenomenon for MoL, he is big on impressive pronouncements that don't actually mean much.

Then when he gets called out the claws come out and he gets all personal.

In other words - welcome to SF! :slayer:

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a new phenomenon for MoL, he is big on impressive pronouncements that don't actually mean much

+1

I work in 'IT' (hate that term) and (forgoing modesty for a moment) I know my ****, and I don't have a ******* clue what MoL is on about. It doesn't help that he refuses to elaborate on what he actually means. It's like he just keeps shouting "I KNOW SOMETHING YOU DONT KNOW" but refuses to tell anyone what it is that he knows (which suggests he actually knows nothing).

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

kasakka

Reaction score
Chrome, Firefox 4+, Safari 5+ (Mac version only), Opera and even IE9 are all fine for rendering this site well. Unless your company is holding you on an old version of IE because of ****** internal webapps then there is no excuse to upgrade to another browser. As far as usability goes, Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera are miles beyond IE. Chrome and Firefox 7 are about on equal footing when it comes to performance and Safari on the Mac is up there as well. Opera is overall the fastest but personally I feel its user interface is a bit clunky in many areas and it has poor extension support.

If you're still running XP on a fairly modern machine, upgrading to Win7 is a good idea. It's infinitely more secure, is much easier to use and runs faster.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like IE9 a lot. I tried Opera and it was a total *************. So slow and laggy. Anyway, FF works fine too.

OP, get a new computer. You can get one for around $300 these days that's blazing fast. I built a new i3 system about 6 months ago. Works great. Cost me under $500 and has good components.

Last edited:

chet31

Reaction score
^ I need XP for business use (I work out of my home), but maybe i need to pick up another machine for Internet use. Or get really brave, get a new machine and do a dual boot. But this website is the only place where XP has really failed me.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could care less if you guys love Google and/or Microsoft. Those of you who love big brother will go to your peril with smiles on your faces. Doesn't matter to me in the least. Lap it up and ask for seconds!. :)

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I could care less if you guys love Google and/or Microsoft. Those of you who love big brother will go to your peril with smiles on your faces. Doesn't matter to me in the least. Lap it up and ask for seconds!. :)

Says a man who has Donald Trump for his avatar... OK... whatever!!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Says a man who has Donald Trump for his avatar... OK... whatever!!

meaning you hate Microsoft? or the Donald?

Last edited:

Sentinel

Reaction score
I've been in IT for years and while I don't make any claims on being a browser expert, I do have some clue when it comes to the interwebs.

If you're using JavaScript heavy websites like Facebook, Hotmail, and G+ (and quite possibly SF) on an old machine or netbook, especially on XP, Chrome will be your best option. I don't like Chrome, but it certainly has its place.

FireFox is what I use, but it's a pig. It's supposed to be slimmer in version 7, but it will grind a slower computer to a halt. The extensions are where FF really shines.

IE9 is faster than 7 and 8 and is supposed to be the most standards compliant of the three major browsers. I haven't used it much, but it has been well reviewed.

Opera is simple and quick, but in my opinion, it's too simple. You don't get the extension support of FF or even Chrome and when websites are made to look good on the top two or three browsers, Opera doesn't make the list.

If nothing else, run MSE as your virus/malware software and set Windows to install updates automatically. If you do that, you're safe from the vast, vast majority of problems.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been in IT for years and while I don't make any claims on being a browser expert, I do have some clue when it comes to the interwebs.

If you're using JavaScript heavy websites like Facebook, Hotmail, and G+ (and quite possibly SF) on an old machine or netbook, especially on XP, Chrome will be your best option. I don't like Chrome, but it certainly has its place.

FireFox is what I use, but it's a pig. It's supposed to be slimmer in version 7, but it will grind a slower computer to a halt. The extensions are where FF really shines.

IE9 is faster than 7 and 8 and is supposed to be the most standards compliant of the three major browsers. I haven't used it much, but it has been well reviewed.

Opera is simple and quick, but in my opinion, it's too simple. You don't get the extension support of FF or even Chrome and when websites are made to look good on the top two or three browsers, Opera doesn't make the list.

If nothing else, run MSE as your virus/malware software and set Windows to install updates automatically. If you do that, you're safe from the vast, vast majority of problems.

No offence to you but being in IT means you serve corporate interests and you would not be focusing on personal privacy or security issues.
The Admin has admitted that the new engine is javascript heavy.
I am running FF on this PC with some add-ons and other tweaks and it loads fine.
On another PC I am using an old version of Opera (Version 6) and it loads just fine but not quite as pretty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads