• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EXTREME ERECT ALTERATIONS

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
in the tutorial "balance explained" we learned that an erect posture needed a longer front and a shorter back.
ready to wear garments need to be altered to accommodate this posture.
in figure A this is the usual alteration when the problem shows only at the top of the back.
its often just the effect of the head and neck being in an erect position.

figure B. is used when the extreme posture effects the entire back. the sleeves are removed,
the collar is removed, except where it joins the lapel. the shoulders are taken apart and,
the lining also. the entire top of the back is cut shorter see the dotted line.in some cases
the dotted cutting line is angled like the line in figure A.
then the whole thing must be reassembled. thats a job that takes a great deal of time.

figure C. when the shoulders and upper back are fine, but from the shoulder blade on down
is the problem then we just drop the back down. the arrows show the movement. the side seams
are opened, and the lining as well. the dotted line on top show the new position of the back.
we can see how the front is now longer than the back. the dotted line at the bottom shows that the coat
hangs lower. that is then shortened to match the bottom of the front.

figure D. sometimes extreme alterations, shortening from the top or dropping the back, can cause
complications. we learned this, remember on "taking in a jacket sides" taking in too much
on the sides caused diagonal lines of strain.
the curved arrows show the strain that can occur. to release the strain we do this.
the under arm side seam is opened thats the one from the armhole to the pocket.
the top of the pocket is disassembled. that wedge of cloth is cut off and the top of the side body
is cut off at the top to match. the under arm is re sewn and the pocket is remade. again much much time.

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
Interesting -- thanks for the write up.

You should edit the title of the thread to include the word "posture"....otherwise it sort of looks like you might be trying to sell superpowered enhancement pills

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Interesting -- thanks for the write up.
You should edit the title of the thread to include the word "posture"....otherwise it sort of looks like you might be trying to sell superpowered enhancement pills

do you think it would be very profitable?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This applies if your jacket has a short front/long back for more that 4 hours

Try setting up a pair of bathtubs in your front yard to watch the sunset with your significant other. I believe that helps with the erect posture issues.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i've got to get those tubs. does the set include the sun?
or is it the deluxe edition?

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
We had a client one time that we made a sheath for to hold it in place.
As a side note, my father said to my mother, "his wife didn't talk at all" to which my mother replied, "she probably has vocal chord damage".

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads