• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need additional opinions on shoulder fit for suit jacket

Reaction score
Greetings fellow style enthusiasts,

I recently purchased a Kiton suit at a crazy good price but I'm questioning if the fit is correct. I tend to be a 42R very consistently across all brands and most of my jackets are 18-18.5" in shoulder width.

The Kiton I purchased is a 42R but has a 19" shoulder width, which surprised me when I read it but I figured I would see how it fit. My wife thinks it's a little too big. I think it's probably right on that line (no pun intended) and I love the material/pattern, but I also know shoulder alterations are somewhere between super difficult to an outright no, so I don't really want to bark up that tree.

I feel like there's a little bit of extra around the top of the shoulder and the seam feels like it sits just a hair past the end of my shoulder.

I attached pictures but unfortunately was left to my own devices taking selfies which does alter my arm placement a bit. If the pictures aren't good enough I can take more.

EDIT: also am I just a dumb dumb and these are roped shoulders? Is that why they seem a little higher at the ends?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_9918.JPG
    IMG_9918.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9912.JPG
    IMG_9912.JPG
    358.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9913.JPG
    IMG_9913.JPG
    407.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9914.JPG
    IMG_9914.JPG
    645.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9915.JPG
    IMG_9915.JPG
    646.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9916.JPG
    IMG_9916.JPG
    448.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_9917.JPG
    IMG_9917.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

paxonus

Reaction score
It does look too wide at the shoulder. It is also making a bulge in the chest because the excess material has nowhere to go. Even if you did get the shoulders tailored, that may not fix the chest area. How is the fit across the waist?

If your cost was that low, take it to a really good tailor and get a quote for doing the work to make it right. Then you can decide if it is worth fixing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It does look too wide at the shoulder. It is also making a bulge in the chest because the excess material has nowhere to go. Even if you did get the shoulders tailored, that may not fix the chest area. How is the fit across the waist?

If your cost was that low, take it to a really good tailor and get a quote for doing the work to make it right. Then you can decide if it is worth fixing.

Fit across the waist is big but honestly that's always the case for me: I've had to take every jacket I've ever bought to have it taken in at the waist. I hadn't really noticed bulge in the chest but I'll need to look tomorrow. Can't tell if that's because of how I was holding the phone or not.

Hmm, you're making me think I should return it.

KOz

Reaction score
It would be better to also have full body pictures. Currently, my take is to return.

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I opted to exchange it for a 40R to see if that fits better since the dimensions sound closer. I might update this when I get that one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads