• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double Breasted Blazer - Fit? Is it crap or good - Moving buttons on a jacket

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
I have attached two photos, I have simply move the buttons across on my DB jacket, do you think the overall fit is good or bad? Let me know.

Also, I will tell you all the alterations... I have had the sleeves shortened, the jacket length shorted by an 1.5 inches (I know, a travesty lol), the armpits taken in. I even have had the buttons moved across for a less fat belly look.
What'd you think? It's a 1969 Turnbull Asser blazer, I just had the buttons replaced. Also regarding the asymmetrical nature of the top row of buttons, I'd say it adds character. Just like how you wouldn't have a pocket square holder on both sides for the sake of symmetricity.

I'm wearing a french cuffed shirt btw, it shows about 0.6 inches of cuff which I'm happy with. Sometimes the angle can exaggerate the amount of cuff showing.

Back photo not attached, but it doesn't show any fabric pulling apart standing still.

The distance between the starting seam of the pockets on the sides, to the hem of the jacket is 9 inches. Before it was like 10.5 inches.

The buttons have been moved by about 2 inches across.

AFTER MOVING BUTTONS PLACEMENT
IMG-20230712-WA0024.jpg
BEFORE MOVING BUTTONS
IMG-20230712-WA0009.jpeg

Last edited:

ezev

Reaction score
IMO, the before looked better. could be the angle of the photos but the after picture makes you look short and stocky.

either way, if you're happy and comfortable with it, that's all that matters.

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
IMO, the before looked better. could be the angle of the photos but the after picture makes you look short and stocky.

either way, if you're happy and comfortable with it, that's all that matters.
not sure about short. I feel the DB jacket should fall to where your thumb is. Stocky? I dont get it. I have more of a pronounced x taper shape.

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
Two different angles, can't do a great job comparing.

Sleeves are measured against the arm, jacket body is measured against your body. Don't measure jacket body against your arm.
Well if you want to get into specifics, I show just as much trouser length, as the base of the collar to the hem.

I show about 29.8 inches of trouser when buttoned up, and 30.2 inches of jacket excluding the collar.

I can take some more photos, I will do some at different angles when I wear it soon again.

I could probably let out the jacketh length if I wanted too by half an inch at the most. But anything longer I wouldn't be comfortable in wearing. That's when my finger tips can't even reach the hem.

Last edited:

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Again, your fingertips have nothing to do with the hem of your jacket.

The question of body length is simple. Does the back just cover your seat, and does the front come roughly level with the crotch of your pants? The front one is easy to tell; for the rear one, I just grab the hem and press it up on my butt and see (feel) where it ends. You'd clasically want it to just cover the seat, there was a bit of a period in recent fashion where people cut it an inch (or more) shorter to just barely not cover the seat, and some people (especially with formalwear) prefer maybe up to an inch extra length beyond just covering, to covering more fully.

Jacket body to human body. Jacket sleeve to human arm.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
...regarding the asymmetrical nature of the top row of buttons, I'd say it adds character.
Tell yourself whatever you want, but it looks bad. Worse is the button placement in relation to the vee that forms when your jacket is fully buttoned. It, the vee, must fall equidistant between the two button rows. Yours does not. It looks yanked to one side, which it is. That is not how you take in a jacket, by moving the buttons. You take it in with a needle and thread, at the side seams.

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
Tell yourself whatever you want, but it looks bad. Worse is the button placement in relation to the vee that forms when your jacket is fully buttoned. It, the vee, must fall equidistant between the two button rows. Yours does not. It looks yanked to one side, which it is. That is not how you take in a jacket, by moving the buttons. You take it in with a needle and thread, at the side seams.
I have already taken in the side seams. I don't like the shape of it. with the normal buttons stance. If I take the side seams in any more, I can't reach forward at all.

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score

The question of body length is simple. Does the back just cover your seat, and does the front come roughly level with the crotch of your pants? The front one is easy to tell; for the rear one, I just grab the hem and press it up on my butt and see (feel) where it ends. You'd clasically want it to just cover the seat, there was a bit of a period in recent fashion where people cut it an inch (or more) shorter to just barely not cover the seat, and some people (especially with formalwear) prefer maybe up to an inch extra length beyond just covering, to covering more fully.

I have said this before. The jacket length is equal to trousers, it covers my rear. If I wasn't wearing any pants, you wouldn't see my butt lol.

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
I think this is an age issue. I'm someone in their 20s and I don't like to wear saggy suits. I bought this vintage for relatively cheap. Everyone here seems to be a millionaire and have vasts amount of money and conservative values.

Many sources online say the jacket length should be equal to the trouser length. but you guys keep going on about arm length which is not what I'm focusing on. I'm going to be honest, I'm fed up of this page. It's annoying and unhelpful and a little bit condescending. Clash of attitudes and age.
Some people haven't even bothered to read through the actual alterations taken place. As I said in my OP, I have taken in the side seams, moved the buttons, shorted jacket length, and shortened sleeves. I don't get why you guys don't understand this and keep going on about 'the arm placement'. If you won't read, don't bother posting. I'm not viewing this thread anymore since its a waste of time.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
You are the definition of a brat. You know nothing about tailored clothing, and the photos you posted show that. The jacket looks awful. Come back when you get into your 30s and have a chance to savor the opinions and knowledge of someone besides yourself.

ezev

Reaction score
I think this is an age issue. I'm someone in their 20s and I don't like to wear saggy suits. I bought this vintage for relatively cheap. Everyone here seems to be a millionaire and have vasts amount of money and conservative values.

Many sources online say the jacket length should be equal to the trouser length. but you guys keep going on about arm length which is not what I'm focusing on. I'm going to be honest, I'm fed up of this page. It's annoying and unhelpful and a little bit condescending. Clash of attitudes and age.
Some people haven't even bothered to read through the actual alterations taken place. As I said in my OP, I have taken in the side seams, moved the buttons, shorted jacket length, and shortened sleeves. I don't get why you guys don't understand this and keep going on about 'the arm placement'. If you won't read, don't bother posting. I'm not viewing this thread anymore since its a waste of time.

https://giphy.com/embed/l3q2K5jinAlChoCLS

Father Style

Reaction score
In my opinion, this is an example of “splitting of hairs”. The jacket looked fine before. The jacket looks fine now. Now it’s just a slightly different style. Don’t overthink it too much. Just wear it and enjoy it.

FatherStyle.com

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just some friendly advice that maybe you'll never see since you are not coming back to this thread, apparently. But i hope you do.

1) Good photos are really important to assess fit. I don't think you did yourself any favors by showing two photos from very different angles and one as a mirror selfie. The 'after' photo is taken pointing upwards from crotch height, making the jacket look shorter and boxier than it probably is.

2) if you post photos for feedback here, you'll get a range of opinions unless you knocked it out of the park or it is really not a very good fit. Usually if opinions are generally negative then there is at least a grain of truth in there somewhere. Maybe because the photos were bad (as they are here) but maybe there is more to it than "nobody here really understands, they're all old and conservative". I hope you don't run away from feedback like this IRL.

Post better pictures and I think you'll get more relevant opinions. I have some thoughts of my own but want to reserve judgment as I really can't tell what's going on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads