• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Layman,

If the colour is looking a bit flat typically its that the leather is a bit dry and feeling tired rather than that the colour has changed a great deal. My first recommendation would be a good leather feed or two and then see how it looks and feels. Everyone says good things about the Saphir stuff though so I dont imagine it will do anything bad if you try it.

By all means send me a photo or two if you like - if I can help more Im vary happy to

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This is the first calf belt out of the workshop. Its black calf with mouse grey stitching, quite subtle but intended to co-ordinate with striped morning suit trousers which will bring out the grey of the thread I hope. The belt is 1 1/8" wide - the perfect formal belt width to me and has the my personal sterling silver buckle on it from the last batch we made. This is the the first of a calf range we're putting together at the moment after lots of development and investment. Its completely hand made and hand stitched of course and similar to our bridle leather L&R, but much softer and only around 3 1/2mm thick in the raised section. The making process is interesting - a combination of the English and French schools of craftsmanship and has been quite a learning curve for us. We can get lots and lots of colours in this calf so huge potential for interesting combinations.

The Mouse Grey (love the name) thread is in the foreground here

Charlie

Kroaker

Reaction score
This is the first calf belt out of the workshop. Its black calf with mouse grey stitching, quite subtle but intended to co-ordinate with striped morning suit trousers which will bring out the grey of the thread I hope. The belt is 1 1/8" wide - the perfect formal belt width to me and has the my personal sterling silver buckle on it from the last batch we made. This is the the first of a calf range we're putting together at the moment after lots of development and investment. Its completely hand made and hand stitched of course and similar to our bridle leather L&R, but much softer and only around 3 1/2mm thick in the raised section. The making process is interesting - a combination of the English and French schools of craftsmanship and has been quite a learning curve for us. We can get lots and lots of colours in this calf so huge potential for interesting combinations.

The Mouse Grey (love the name) thread is in the foreground here

Charlie
Looking forward to seeing more of the calf belts! How soon until will you have a dark brown option?

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Looking forward to seeing more of the calf belts!  How soon until will you have a dark brown option?

I hope we'll have the belts and accompanying calf watch straps ready to go over the next few weeks - just putting together the details really. I'll keep everyone posted!

Charlie

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
West End Burgundy vs. West End Australian Nut

For reference, I wanted to share a couple of images of my burgundy West End compared to Aus nut. As Charlie has mentioned, this particular shade of burgundy is very subtle. I really like it's versatility and chose a more casual setup, 1 3/8" with a brushed brass buckle.

When I decided to spec an Australian nut West End, I chose a slightly dressier version, 1 1/4" with stainless buckle. Both have their place in my wardrobe. As you can see they are similar but certainly differ enough to easily justify owning both, especially if the specs are different.

No recent update on the Russet Bakers. It's been hot as Hades this July so it hasn't seen much wear. I'll post an update in the fall.

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just an update on stuff we are working on internally here

This is a little light weight card case and glasses slip case matched pair fresh of the work bench. More than anything they are a development exercise in some of the different techniques needed for light weight leathers, but also for me for a trip to London as my wallet has died and I didnt want to look a complete tramp! Both cases have a vegtable tanned calf exterior with a pigskin lining handstitched with Ecru Lin Cable. Very much development rather than sale pieces but a number of people have been asking for similar things so just letting people know we do listen to requests and are working on new designs.

Next development update will probably be a tannery trip for some Alligator early in September and I very much hope we'll get a delivery of Barenia from Tannerie Haas at some point in September as well.

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Ive had some nice comments re the wallet - thanks folks much appreciated. The pattern is a work in progress but will progress and will obviously post photos here. A nice mid brown or a green semi matt Alligator version of the same would look nice - might be the next iteration!

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just this minute got some lovely Barenia samples from France. Its a lovely full grain natural saddle leather, thats been double tanned and oiled . It has reputation for developing an amazing patina over time and I think will make a loverly lined and stitched casual belt. Historically this is quite a famous leather - Hermes have used this a lot for their bags and to a degree their belts but it seems to be getting rarer these days. We'll have some in a couple of months I hope

The photos dont do it justice as ever with leather photos

Charlie

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a little light weight card case and glasses slip case matched pair fresh of the work bench. More than anything they are a development exercise in some of the different techniques needed for light weight leathers, but also for me for a trip to London as my wallet has died and I didnt want to look a complete tramp! Both cases have a vegtable tanned calf exterior with a pigskin lining handstitched with Ecru Lin Cable. Very much development rather than sale pieces but a number of people have been asking for similar things so just letting people know we do listen to requests and are working on new designs.

Next development update will probably be a tannery trip for some Alligator early in September and I very much hope we'll get a delivery of Barenia from Tannerie Haas at some point in September as well.

Charlie

wallet looks sweet

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Charlie

wallet looks sweet

Salanito

Reaction score
They look very nice, will get my first belt from you soon to so looking forward to that. But with the wallets keep in mind that some people might have a problem with the pigskin lining for religious reasons. So it might be worth making one with a different lining as well.

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

They look very nice, will get my first belt from you soon to so looking forward to that. But with the wallets keep in mind that some people might have a problem with the pigskin lining for religious reasons. So it might be worth making one with a different lining as well. 

Good point and one I hadn't thought of I confess so thank you. The pigskin lining is nice, really I used it because its what was to hand though, I think the production versions all have calf or goat linings. Goat has a really attractive grain pattern and is a traditional lining material because you can skive it down to thin the seam areas without it loosing strength or shape, I sourced some the other day so will post some photos in due course

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Good point and one I hadn't thought of I confess so thank you. The pigskin lining is nice, really I used it because its what was to hand though, I think the production versions all have calf or goat linings. Goat has a really attractive grain pattern and is a traditional lining material because you can skive it down to thin the seam areas without it loosing strength or shape, I sourced some the other day so will post some photos in due course

Charlie

Actually, Ive just looked again at the pigskin. Its really nice and is undyed but beautifully finished so shows the true character of the leather which is a recuring theme for our work, I hate leather that looks like plastic. We will offer the natural pigskin as an option I think, as well as the goat and calf so lots of choices

I'll post more photos over the next few days

Charlie

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads