• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet x Carmina MTO

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talk about a slacker. Just put in my order. I was doing some research on it and opted for the 7.5UK over the 8.

cking

Reaction score
I waited until the last possible minute but I'm in for the austerity brogues as well.

kungapa

Reaction score
I think I would rather see a saddle boot than a chestnut boot - I already have the C&J for RL Lindrick - and I would be loth to drop $1000 for another very similarly colored boot. Additionally, I would prefer a dainite sole of some sort - winter weather an all that.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well, I found out that both Chestnut and Saddle are available. Navy Shell is backordered from Horween. So I'd suggest going forward with the Bal boot in either Chestnut or Saddle. With a one-week preorder period starting this week, we could get a delivery on it by early May. The Robert last is only offered in Medium width. As I learned, the Forest last can be ordered in a Wide, and the Rain last can be ordered in a Narrow or Wide (sadly, only for a few patterns though - which didn't include the Austerity Brogue that we finalized).
I'd love to put together the Bal boot preorder next week. It seems like these were the preferences:
- Chestnut Shell Cordovan
- Robert Last
- Perforated Captoe
- Blind eyelets with speed hooks
- Antique edge trim
I think that most guys assumed to use the leather sole, which we certainly can. I'd definitely suggest considering that Dainte Combo sole too, which could be a cool option. The final price depends on the final mix of styling, but it will be around $1K - $1,100, and I'll pay for everyone to have the Carmina shoe trees included with their boots.

Great photos and details from Pitti, Mike. Thanks.

For the balmoral, looks like we need to decide on saddle versus chestnut and leather versus dainite sole. I can put together a poll today with the goal of getting the order together this week.

Is there more information on how the Robert last sizes compared to a reference point such as the other Carmina shoes Epaulet sells or Alden?

Personally I think I can go with either Robert or Forest for this boot. The Rain last toe just doesn't look right to me. I'm not sue how many choices we can afford to vote on here, if we want to get this settled.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, time to vote on the final details for the shell balmoral boot makeup. There's a lot of information from Mike on the last few pages of this discussion.

Let's leave the voting open until tomorrow evening, Monday 1/23, so we can get this finalized and up on Epaulet's website as a preorder.

:slayer::slayer::slayer:

Last edited:

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great photos and details from Pitti, Mike. Thanks.
For the balmoral, looks like we need to decide on saddle versus chestnut and leather versus dainite sole. I can put together a poll today with the goal of getting the order together this week.
Is there more information on how the Robert last sizes compared to a reference point such as the other Carmina shoes Epaulet sells or Alden?
Personally I think I can go with either Robert or Forest for this boot. The Rain last toe just doesn't look right to me. I'm not sue how many choices we can afford to vote on here, if we want to get this settled.

Thanks.

Last edited:

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you normally wear a 9US? And what info did you find that made you size down a half size?

i wear an 8.5D normally, but am an anomaly when it comes to the general rule of Alden Barrie = .5 down from normal. I just searched and searched on the MC forum, somewhere where i very infrequently visit.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i wear an 8.5D normally, but am an anomaly when it comes to the general rule of Alden Barrie = .5 down from normal. I just searched and searched on the MC forum, somewhere where i very infrequently visit.

Gotcha...I normally wear an 8.5D UK also and ordered the 8.5 in the Inca last and it fits a little large but this last is narrower so I'm hoping its a perfect fit.

SeventyFive

Reaction score

OK, time to vote on the final details for the shell balmoral boot makeup. There's a lot of information from Mike on the last few pages of this discussion.
Let's leave the voting open until tomorrow evening, Monday 1/23, so we can get this finalized and up on Epaulet's website as a preorder.
:slayer::slayer::slayer:

Your poll indicates the Rain last is available in narrow widths. There was a post earlier in the thread that indicated that it was only available in medium. Can anyone clarify?

Renton

Reaction score
Fingers crossed for the Forest last. I missed out on the austerity brogue because of width issues.
:D

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Your poll indicates the Rain last is available in narrow widths. There was a post earlier in the thread that indicated that it was only available in medium. Can anyone clarify?

Look back a page or two in this discussion. Mike indicated that the rain can be done in narrow width for some styles. In the context I too that to include this balmoral makeup. Hope I didn't misunderstand.

SeventyFive

Reaction score

Okay, saw Mike's post from the last page. It all makes sense now.

I'm looking for a dress boot that I can wear so I went for the leather sole and rain last.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Mike, any chance Carmina has access to #4 shell from Horween?

Oh sorry, the Bal Boot pictured is Color 8 shell, I just mis-typed it.

Not sure on Color 4. In theory they should be able to get it, as it's not exclusive to Alden, but we may be looking at a long lead time for that.

Just to show you guys a comparison of the Forest vs. the Robert last:

The Forest has a slightly higher toe box, the Robert has a stronger taper from the mid-foot to the toe.

Sizing-wise, I'd say that they're roughly equivalent. But we can order the Forest in a wide fitting, and I've gotten very good feedback on the fit of the Forest last from our customers. We haven't run a makeup on the Robert last yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads