• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike said he’s going to edit that fabric select down to a quintillion. Saw some awesome ones on the story for sure.

Ah yes he did... But like all things SF, knowing there is a bountiful supply of cloth, we’ll pester with particular requests, eventually forcing a full warehouse inventory list,with accompanying multiple pictures in different lighting conditions. Per swatch.

lifeinabox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can’t wait for the crap ton of fabric drops. And what was that sweater Mike was rocking?

From the last EFF round...
full

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Those of you with the Sashiko, does it crock? Is it best to give it a soak or wash before wearing?

@metals37 I don't want to say never, but I haven't seen it in testing and we've sold about 200 pcs without that complaint arising. We use a sealant and a slight enzyme batch after the indigo dye to fix the color.

@Epaulet - you mentioned a new jacket shape with Southwick in your Instagram video. What kind of jacket will this be?

Also, I got my oxford tweed shirt - this fabric is fantastic. If anyone is looking for a flannel shirt, give this a try. Looks like I ordered a different pocket than I intended, but that’s what I get for ordering on NYE.

@nd1nd2nd3 glad that you dig that shirt.. one of my favorite fabrics that I've ever run.

The new jacket shape is going to be a twist on the Dartmouth. Same shoulder, but a longer body, lower button stance, and wider lapels. Still a little bit away on the sample, but I'm hoping that we can offer this starting mid-March.

@Epaulet - are we still expecting the new jeans to drop this month?
Thanks

@avsmusic1 not far off that. I'm getting a bunch of samples on Tuesday, including what should be the final jean. If that's good to go (I think it will be) then production is just about three weeks. For confirmed LA stuff, we'll have:

LA-Made Shirts (still need a good name): launching next Thursday

Doyles in Ultrafleck, REDA Hopsack, Olive Duck Canvas and "Mean Green" Cone Mills Denim: before end of month

Doyles in Sashiko: about first week of March, maybe beginning of second week.

excited to see the sport-coat version of the Doyle

Me too. @Epaulet What sort of fabrics are you thinking for this model? Am I alone in thinking a corduroy or textured tweeds in this would be a great combo for fall?

@esoxm @Duke Silver

Thanks guys! Really excited for this piece. It's going to work off of the Doyle body. The details are:

3-Button Front
3.75" lapels (will probably look more like 3.25" as no canvassing to hold it in place)
Doyle Sleeves (with functional button cuffs)
Doyle Hip Pockets (open patch with side entry)
Welt Breast Pocket

The idea is to offer something along the lines of an EG Bedford Jacket... with more a traditional sportcoat lapel treatment. I personally like the Doyle functional details (cuffs, two-way pockets), but we'll see.. it might look too busy for this shape. Easy to change if that's the case. And yes, bet your ass that we'll be running lots of corduroy, tweeds, and wools in the Fall!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can’t wait for the crap ton of fabric drops. And what was that sweater Mike was rocking?

From the last EFF round...
full

Damn, that’s sharp. Feeling nonbuyers remorse on that one.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That new model based off the Doyle sounds awesome! I personally find the Bedfords to be priced above what I'm looking to pay for that sort of a garment, so I will keep my eyes on this project.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Farewell Hertling Trousers

This is difficult to post, I'll probably check back later with more thoughts on it. But I received the news earlier this week that Hertling is closing its doors in about two weeks.

I'm still processing it, honestly. Julie Hertling was a lot like a grandfather to me, and I've had a long (9 yr) personal relationship with the employees there. We would never be where we are without their trousers and Julie's mentoring. It's been a mainstay of our collection since the early days.

As many of you guys know, they were taken under new management about 18 months ago. There has been some development (new website & branding), but it appears that the core business plan was not sustainable. I'm not assigning any blame.. this deal was in the works for a while, and few could have predicted the retail apocalypse starting in 2016 and how that would impact their wholesale customer base. They may have gone under even without the change in ownership.

So.. for us.. this means a few things:

1) All of the orders that we've taken SHOULD still be produced by Hertling before they close. That includes everything from that cotton promo and a few stragglers after that. I have four units which they tell me that they cannot make, and we'll be in touch to those customers by Monday.

2) These four trousers are officially the last Hertling products that we'll ever have. Southwick cannot make the Garand, so if you dig that style especially, get another pair sooner than later.

3) We're going to move all of our custom trouser work to Southwick. This will be a good thing overall for our offerings. They'll be FAR more fabrics, more customization possibilities, similar pricing, and a quicker turnaround time by a factor of weeks. I'll start working on that next week and look to launch it right at the end of February.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow. When I saw the story in Instagram about Southwick and trousers, it was clear to me that EP and Hertling were done, but I didn't guess that Hertling itself was done. Sorry to hear that for the good folks there who've made us so many EP trousers.

Mike, when you get a chance to talk with anyone there tell them how much I personally have enjoyed what they've made for me.

iamtripp

Reaction score
Mike, knowing that a lot of respected retailers use Hertling for trouser production, how big of an impact do you imagine this closing will have? It is sad to see quality manufacturing jobs, in any industry, leave communities. Really enjoyed the factory pictures from your Hertling visits, especially the story of the gentleman who did most of the cutting on the Epaulet trousers.

jimney

Reaction score
Just got my first pair of Hertling trousers from Epaulet, and now it’s sad to hear they’re going to be gone already.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads