• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

captainfunk

Reaction score
Mike— Just got my nailhead marcello. Thing is a beauty. However, it certainly is running a bit tight. What are the seam allowances on the marcellos? Trying to figure out if I'm going to swap it with something else...

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of the Brick Twill Trousers in action?

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Got my first ever piece from Epaulet today (greycast indigo chambray utility shirt) from Nathanl. I could be wrong but I think it fits perfectly. This thing is so well made. I so much appreciate the fact that you use really chunky buttons! And I think the length is perfect for wearing untucked.

Details: 7" bowery shorts from J.Crew, Mougin & Piquard grande seconde watch, Alden pebbled mahogany calfskin shortwings with a micro sole.
looking good. Where did you get the Alden pebbled calfskin short wings with micro sole? is it a brick sole or other color? can you post more pics of them, maybe on alden thread?

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

looking good.  Where did you get the Alden pebbled calfskin short wings with micro sole?  is it a brick sole or other color?  can you post more pics of them, maybe on alden thread?

If I am not mistaken, I think those were a very limited run by Jcrew.

Therendition

Reaction score
looking good. Where did you get the Alden pebbled calfskin short wings with micro sole? is it a brick sole or other color? can you post more pics of them, maybe on alden thread?

Many thanks! I got them from J.Crew (they are since sold out). Yes, it's a brick micro sole. I'll post some more pictures in the Alden thread soon.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Does this mean that I have to button the collar on my Epaulet shirts?
:)

That green gingham with the club color looks awfully nice...

Also, I find the fits shown on this thread and on the Epaulet site much more appealing than those on Selectism. Honestly, if those were all I saw, I don't think I'd be a buyer. So thanks Epaulet thread and epauletshop.com.

Last edited:

Simplicio

Reaction score

^ Does this mean that I have to button the collar on my Epaulet shirts?
:)
That green gingham with the club color looks awfully nice...
Also, I find the fits shown on this thread and on the Epaulet site much more appealing than those on Selectism. Honestly, if those were all I saw, I don't think I'd be a buyer. So thanks Epaulet thread and epauletshop.com.

I was about to make the same comment.

Thanks to all who post fits. Perhaps I will get going with some of my own someday.

neutrino

Reaction score
What is recommended care regimen for chromexcel shoes? I remember Mike advising Picard's dressing, but that was for the boots. I read different opinions, neatsfoot oil, venetian cream. I think I wouldn't want them to shine, would prefer having them just matte and a bit beat up, so I wonder what I should use.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yesterday was Cancer awareness day at work...purple shirt for my pops:
IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

Carmina Austerity Brogue (rest Ercoles)

Last edited:

sharkminusbear

Reaction score
What is recommended care regimen for chromexcel shoes? I remember Mike advising Picard's dressing, but that was for the boots. I read different opinions, neatsfoot oil, venetian cream. I think I wouldn't want them to shine, would prefer having them just matte and a bit beat up, so I wonder what I should use.

I do venetian cream on chromexcel. It gives them a sheen for a little bit, but they return to matte after a wear or two.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Venetian cream will definitely impart a shine, in my experience (its main use is to bring a high shine to shell cordovan). Your boots might wind up looking like this:

Which is my thing (these are 403s from Epaulet, by the way), but evidently not yours, neutrino.

Mike sold me some Alden neutral boot cream when he sold me these 403s -- don't know if he still carries it, but it feeds and moisturizes CXL well. The shine it imparts is minimal unless you buff a lot. I'd recommend alternating between that product, and then either Pecard's or Montana Pitch-Blend, either of which will both protect and nourish your CXL.

Is this Natural CXL? Keep in mind that most products will darken and even out the color of Natural CXL, especially Pecards or Pitch-Blend.

Last edited:

neutrino

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Yes, I'm talking about natty CXL. For the 403 I would also go for that look. I'll probably follow your advice, applky. Maybe I'll hear what Mike has to say on this.

Jobst

Reaction score
I like the rise and general cut of the Walts, but something seems to be amiss in the seat/back rise. I get a collection of folds of excess material in the upper thigh when standing, which ruins the drape at the back. I tried a pair of 32s, could dropping to a 30 help alleviate this issue at all?

If not, how easily can a tailor address this issue? It seems like there's some complex balance/drape issues at play in this particular area.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads