• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jdpirtl22

Reaction score
So very sad. Got my first 2 pairs of rivet chinos in late last week, took them in to the tailor's Saturday to have them let out a little and hemmed, and picked them up today. Well, as I was trying to break them in once I got home, both sets let go at the seam directly below the front buttons. Both pairs.
Rugby thighs make it impossible to have nice things.
You guys on here have any advice? Should I just write off my losses and consign rivet chinos to the category of things I cannot have, or should I try to take them back to the tailor's and have...I don't know what done to them?
Thanks for any advice.
would love an answer to this as well. Really want to get some epaulet chinos but i'm afraid my thighs are just too big for them. Any chance on a special order fitting for us guys at some point?

ascher07

Reaction score
would love an answer to this as well. Really want to get some epaulet chinos but i'm afraid my thighs are just too big for them. Any chance on a special order fitting for us guys at some point?

I don't think so. I remember in my perusing of this thread that in order to make money epaulet has to have their rivet chinos made in bulk, so they don't really plan on making a Rudy cut version. I'd say just try to size up then get them tailored at the waist, but as I'm already a size 36, I can't even follow my own suggestion.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Received the desert ducks yesterday figured I'd post a quick pic. I'm looking forward to how these will break in over time.
P5014475.jpg
Very cool - enjoy them! I dig them with those boots.

Man, 3 weeks from this Saturday and I will be in NYC and will be putting a SERIOUS smack down on the EP shop. Just hope enough stuff is available in my size to try on.
I am so excited, I feel like I am going to be sick!

Sorry for the awful photo quality.
Gant Rugger
Epaulet
Florsheim x Duckie Brown
I just got the shirt yesterday; the Hugger fit from Gant Rugger may be the best fit ever for me. Please stock more Gant Rugger in the future, Mike!

Ah man, sadly this was our last season of GANT, but I totally agree - this was the best fitting shirt that they ever made. I personally own that one, and I wear it all of the time. Nice combo with the trousers & shoes.

You're right, they aren't the slimmest from the knee down. But I need a 36 because I have "humongous big" upper legs, as a certain Philadelphia goaltender might put it. The 34 was too tight in the upper block for me. These have been hemmed (I have shorter legs, too) but I'm considering getting them tapered a bit more.

If you want a slimmer fit, I'd definitely look into tapering them a bit after the knee. If you're hemming the Rudy fit a lot, then it's going to give you a bigger leg opening the higher that you go. A decent tailor can zap out that extra room at the bottom and give you a really excellent fit. We have a lot of customers who do exactly this with every pair of Rudy's.

Crosspost from WAYWT as I'm wearing the wine chinos and Carmina dub monks:
Yowza, that looks great! Glad that you're enjoying the new gear!

Schott double-zip car coat (from Epaulet)
Navy hopsack Caine blazer (no vis)
Tan Moleskin walts

MkV R32

Just as everyone else said, this photo is boss as hell! Your compositions are killer!

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

14a80caf.jpg
Koi Shirt, Brown Chromex Belt and Caramel Ducks

That Koi shirt really works with the ink. This is pretty killer.

Trying on the wines, color is sorely underrepresented by this iPhone pic. May wear them to my graduation, gonna be 85-90 degrees
tumblr_m3fbcqvgAh1qb0bszo1_500.jpg
Nice! Congrats on your graduation!

So very sad. Got my first 2 pairs of rivet chinos in late last week, took them in to the tailor's Saturday to have them let out a little and hemmed, and picked them up today. Well, as I was trying to break them in once I got home, both sets let go at the seam directly below the front buttons. Both pairs.
Rugby thighs make it impossible to have nice things.
You guys on here have any advice? Should I just write off my losses and consign rivet chinos to the category of things I cannot have, or should I try to take them back to the tailor's and have...I don't know what done to them?
Thanks for any advice.

Ah man, I'm sorry to hear about that.

This sounds pretty extreme. If you had them let out and you're having that large seam failure on both pairs, then I'm thinking your tailor may have messed up. It happens. Some people aren't that experienced with letting out pants. I've seen customers wear Rivet Chinos tight as hell, and they're not busting seams on the first try.

I'd start by taking them back to the tailor to be repaired. They should do it at no charge, and it should be a fast, easy repair. You'll want to have it reinforced and sealed with a large stitch. If they do charge you, drop me a line and we'll work something out.

would love an answer to this as well.  Really want to get some epaulet chinos but i'm afraid my thighs are just too big for them.  Any chance on a special order fitting for us guys at some point?

At the moment, our Rivet Chinos are just sized for the fit that we're using. But we're expanding the Rudy special order program, and we have all of the basic cotton colors covered there. We'll start another run of Rudy orders around the end of next week. And the Rudy orders placed last month should arrive in the next 7-10 days.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks! It usually only takes a couple seconds to set the camera settings and maybe 2 or 3 tries to get a shot that I like. Overall it's less than a minute or two. I just use the auto-timer. I take the photos just for the hell of it, really -- I don't even have that many followers on tumblr, that's just there to preserve them all in one place. There's also the fact that my girlfriend has a lot of fun with the ones we do together.

Also I found a lot of the advice I received from posting in WAYWT -- especially near the beginning -- to be absolutely invaluable. There are a lot of idiots posting in there too, but weeding out the bad advice is the same as for anything else; you can ignore a lot of the noise but if a bunch of people are all telling you the same thing, then you probably ought to consider it.

Unless they're all saying that you need to get "swagged out" by wearing a leather jacket. Then they're still wrong.

I just followed you! Has anyone ever caught you posing for the camera while it's on a stand? When I was into modding cars, I used to go into cool parking lots at night to set up shoots with my friends' cars. Just brought that up because your picture reminded me of that.

RE: advices from WAYWT, man..you're practically the anti WAYWT. Most of the members in there spend a crap load of money to look like strung out drug users with jacked up hippie/futuristic haircuts. You're on the conservative side, that's why they say you dress "boring". I'm sure most of those dudes will grow out of it after college ends.

Last edited:

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tan Moleskin walts

MkV R32

SVB you look like you're in a Michael Mann movie. Approved.

This yours? My first car that I got myself was a 1997 VW GTI in electric blue. I loved that car, and used to zip in and out of traffic on the Belt Parkway daily in it.

Autobahn-level skills. The Belt Parkway ain't nuthin' ta f' wit.

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

14a80caf.jpg

Koi Shirt, Brown Chromex Belt and Caramel Ducks

NYR this is my personal favorite fit I've seen from you. Fantastic.

Last edited:

leftofthedial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there's any chance of seeing a size 35 rivet chinos?
Or alternatively what rivet size woould work for somebody who wears a 33 in the Rudy trousers?

It really depends on how the Rudy fits you. Some people take the same size, some size up. It really just depends on how much space you need in the thigh. The Rivet Chino runs in-between the Walt and Rudy and is also lower rise, so it fits differently.

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Tan Moleskin walts

MkV R32

What a classic. I like this even more than Christmas Pants. Looks like something out of All the President's Men. Did Deep Throat tell you to follow the money?

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wonder if there's any chance of seeing a size 35 rivet chinos?
Or alternatively what rivet size woould work for somebody who wears a 33 in the Rudy trousers?

I wear a 33 Rudy and a 34 Rivet fits me like a glove.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Blaze Chinos are getting a lot of love here at work. :slayer:

My coworker saw my Tumblr and saw SVB's Tumblr through mine. She said "he dresses like you, except he's white", which I found to be extremely hilarious. She somehow convinced me to go take pictures with different backdrops so I'm now looking at a new camera and will try this out. I'm excited and nervous at the same time because I have no idea what I would say if someone asks me what I am doing posing in front of a camera on a stand. :embar:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody want the digital camos in 34? Going to send them back to Epaulet Monday morning. Fabric is amazing but I don't think I'll get much of a chance to wear them. Asking cost + half shipping back.

ascher07

Reaction score
Hey, how do you guys like the Rudy fit? How much looser than the Rivets would you say it is? Do you think it can be pulled off as a casual pant?

I know it may seem like I ask a lot of stupid questions about the fits of this brand. These seem like good people, and that makes me feel better about parting with my money as it's allowing them to continue good work.

dra

Reaction score
I've bought five pairs of walts in the past three days...got those french blues and emerald greens this morning, hoping they work out. Will definitely be the boldest pants I own.

Someone should buy the rest of the Epaulet gear I have for sale to help me fund these purchases!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads