• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

leftofthedial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How similar is that to the caramel duck chinos?

Completely different. The duck canvas is much like the classic Carhartt color (if you know what I'm talking about). The Regiment Twill is much more of a gold-tinted brown (a little like the older Golden Khaki Rivet Chino we produced a while ago).

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Another outstanding photo, SVB. How long does it take you to set a shot like that up, and do you take it just for your tumblr and SF or do you have other reasons?

Thanks! It usually only takes a couple seconds to set the camera settings and maybe 2 or 3 tries to get a shot that I like. Overall it's less than a minute or two. I just use the auto-timer. I take the photos just for the hell of it, really -- I don't even have that many followers on tumblr, that's just there to preserve them all in one place. There's also the fact that my girlfriend has a lot of fun with the ones we do together.

Also I found a lot of the advice I received from posting in WAYWT -- especially near the beginning -- to be absolutely invaluable. There are a lot of idiots posting in there too, but weeding out the bad advice is the same as for anything else; you can ignore a lot of the noise but if a bunch of people are all telling you the same thing, then you probably ought to consider it.

Unless they're all saying that you need to get "swagged out" by wearing a leather jacket. Then they're still wrong.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sorry to continue the thread derailment, but a few months I purchased a 2009 MkV Rabbit ago for my teenager to drive to and from school. Right next to it on the dealer lot were a MkV R32 and GTI. My son for obvious reasons wanted the better performing car, specifically the R32, but I didn't want to pay more nor jack my insurance costs even higher. Kids put a real dent in the clothes and shoes budget.....

Thread derailment approved...and tell me about kids and money drainage...can't wait for daycare payments to end.

lol... NYR, you are the king of thread derailments... but yeah, that's mine. It's awesome.

I've had a ton of cars (this one is #14) but the first new car I ever got was a MkV GTI which I absolutely loved. Last year, this R32 popped up at the dealer where my GTI was serviced and they offered me a really good deal on it. It's obviously a very similar car but the R32's differences are key. The GTI was always trying to put way too much power down to just the front wheels, plus the overall build quality on the R32 seems to be better even though most of it is the same materials. AWD lets me go to the snow whenever I want without needing to swap tires or put chains on. Handling-wise, the R32 feels much more confident and planted and I can brake much later in the twisties. I do miss the manual transmission on the GTI, though (the US R32s only came with the DSG).

I checked out the new Golf R at the LA Auto Show last fall and concluded it is far too similar to my car to warrant trading up. The only significant difference on the new one is that it gets far better mileage. But then you don't have that awesome throaty V6 exhaust note, so what's the point? But you ought to check out one of the new ones; either the R or just the new GTI. I remember the MKIIIs as being heavier and underpowered compared to the prior two generations. The more recent ones have fixed that. If you liked yours, you'd definitely like the new ones. But then we'd probably stop seeing weekly Epaulet purchases from you, so maybe don't...

Awesome man. I won't be able to drive a car like that again until all the kids are out of daycare, but once they are, I plan on getting something fun to drive, but will most likely be something big and musclely...I'd love something classic, but knowing me and the time I have to work on something like that it will most likely be a new Stang, Camaro, or Challenger. FYI, my next car after the GTI was a triple black Mustang Convertible GT...then I met my wife...:(

But now she takes my pictures so...

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

14a80caf.jpg

Koi Shirt, Brown Chromex Belt and Caramel Ducks

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying on the wines, color is sorely underrepresented by this iPhone pic. May wear them to my graduation, gonna be 85-90 degrees
tumblr_m3fbcqvgAh1qb0bszo1_500.jpg

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very nice...i went back and forth between the wine and the gray. would have picked up both but running out of closet space

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

very nice...i went back and forth between the wine and the gray. would have picked up both but running out of closet space

Gonna get greys next restock for sure, these are perfect for summer and I like the feeling of cotton over linen. Debating on the digicamos right now, they look amazing just don't know if I really would wear them much...

ascher07

Reaction score
So very sad. Got my first 2 pairs of rivet chinos in late last week, took them in to the tailor's Saturday to have them let out a little and hemmed, and picked them up today. Well, as I was trying to break them in once I got home, both sets let go at the seam directly below the front buttons. Both pairs.
Rugby thighs make it impossible to have nice things.
You guys on here have any advice? Should I just write off my losses and consign rivet chinos to the category of things I cannot have, or should I try to take them back to the tailor's and have...I don't know what done to them?
Thanks for any advice.

prozach1576

Reaction score
If you just tore the seam open there is no reason it can't be sewn back together again, and more securely the second time.

ascher07

Reaction score
So you split open one pair, then put the other one on and split that open too?

I know, I know.

I was doing all sorts of stretches to try and loosen up the canvas from around my thighs. I get kinda fixated on things and wasn't about to let one set back defeat me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads