• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hey guys, anyone able to comment on Epaulet shirting fit vs GBV? I wear small in GBV and looking at the measurements, the Epaulet smalls seem like they'd be a hair too small, where the mediums seem like they'd be too big.

I also wear a small in Gitman, and wear an Epaulet Medium. It's not 100% perfect but for OTR the fit is great. Looks good tucked or untucked.

If you wear GBV regularly, you should take a look at the Epaulet x Gitman Ashland shirts, which fit very similar to GBV except the fit is always consistent. I wear an Ashland small and they fit me almost like a bespoke shirt. And they make killer dress shirts when pressed since Gitman uses higher quality fusibles in their shirts (to say nothing of the body fabrics themselves, which seem to mostly be Italian and Japanese pima cottons) than do most makers.

It looks like most Ashland shirts are sold out at the moment, but the red/blue/green tattersall is still available in a small. It's my current favorite shirt, full stop.

Thanks for posting all that info up Applky!

Gitman Vintage and Ashland sizing has a more dramatic size scale than Epaulet. There's a larger difference between sizes. So generally:

XS Gitman Vintage / Ashland is signifcantly smaller than Epaulet XS
Small Gitman Vintage / Ashland is about the same as an Epaulet Small
Medium Gitman Vintage / Ashland is a bit larger than an Epaulet Medium. Pretty much right in-between an Epaulet Medium and Epaulet Large
Large Gitman Vintage / Ashland is much bigger than an Epaulet Large. Close to an Epaulet XL

If you take a small in Gitman Vintage, then I'd recommend a Small in our shirts. Our armholes are deeper and our cut is a little more athletic, so it typically works.

But as Applky said, you'll LOVE the fit of our Ashland by Epaulet shirts. We've got a new collection of those coming in the next 4-6 weeks. Fit is one-to-one with GV.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I am true 32 and the measurement of the 32's seem just a little too large because I have much slimmer thighs than the average guy. Would it be alright to size down to 31 so the fit would actually be slim on me? I was wondering if they stretch with wear, then the waist would be perfect.
Thanks for the advice so far!

I would go with your waist measurement. We have guys with very thin legs buy the rivet chinos reguarly, and I've never seen them fit baggy on anyone. They're a slim chino by any measure - you can see how well they fit NYR in the pics above.

If you want a really slim leg then I'd recommend getting the Walt cramerton. The leg's a bit slimmer than the chino to begin with, and you can have it tapered more if you like. I've seen customers taper their Walts into true cigarette pants, and it's pretty cool!

Epaulet marled cardi
Rivets

Dude! As punk rock as the muttonchops were, I have to say, I really dig the semi-clean-shaven look. You've still got some George Michael-Father Figure stubble going there.

And that sweater fits you perfectly!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While I have not tried an EP shirt, going by the measurements Gitman runs a lot shorter in the arms. I had to return the single Gitman Vintage I have tried because of this fact.

Samir

Reaction score
Yeah, I think you should be fine with a size 28. Mine stretched about an inch in the waist if not more.
Jeans came in today. I was actually able to button up the waist fine - very very snug, but not uncomfortable or painful. I do have to "sag" a little to avoid compression of my package, but hopefully it loosens up a little - even as little as 0.5" would be dandy. Thighs and below is a great fit.
Kurabo. It's really amazing denim. The texture is unlike anything else I've worn, so incredibly soft.
Definitely a comfortable feel and texture to the denim right out of the box. I've never had raw denim before, so I was a little wary about the initial wear but these aren't stiff at all.

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Trying to drum up interest from a few more people for an Epaulet x Carmina balmoral boot MTO. The idea is to get something like this for spring delivery:

A shot of what I believe to be the same boot after some wear:

This will be on Carmina's Robert last in a dark brown shell, possibly the Chestnut as seen on the Epaulet x Carmina wingtips, with antique edge trim, a flat/closed welt, speed hooks, and a brogued cap toe (also known as a quarter brogue, as I've discovered). I note one photo shows a pull tab. Haven't discussed that, but could do.

The Robert last is said to be similar to the Simpson, with more room in the toe area.

If you are interested, we're trying to get the numbers we need to proceed with the order while Mike is at Pitti or shortly thereafter. PM me with any questions or there are details missing that I might be able to fill in.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trying to drum up interest from a few more people for an Epaulet x Carmina balmoral boot MTO. The idea is to get something like this for spring delivery:

A shot of what I believe to be the same boot after some wear:
This will be on Carmina's Robert last in a dark brown shell, possibly the Chestnut as seen on the Epaulet x Carmina wingtips, with antique edge trim, a flat/closed welt, speed hooks, and a brogued cap toe (also known as a quarter brogue, as I've discovered). I note one photo shows a pull tab. Haven't discussed that, but could do.
The Robert last is said to be similar to the Simpson, with more room in the toe area.
If you are interested, we're trying to get the numbers we need to proceed with the order while Mike is at Pitti or shortly thereafter. PM me with any questions or there are details missing that I might be able to fill in.

Frank, what is the other shoe/boot choice? On my phone and a real slow connection or would check myself

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Porter,
People were also looking at a navy blue shell jodhpur, though only three have ultimately shown serious interest right now. I'm not one of those people, so I've let it go to focus on the balmoral boot.

Of course it looks like there's a suede austerity brogue MTO ready to go. Not sure if you are referring to that. Details on that are here, to save you any searching: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGFIbVJ5d3dSdm5XanlaMFE3M21EOGc6MQ.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ SVB - looking awesome as usual, great stuff. Starting to see a steady increase in females popping up in shots now....I don't think I could convince my wife to let me post a pic of the two of us up here, I'd have to do it without ever telling her and hope she never finds out :)

Last week, I took a gamble and got a pair of the Smiths in size 34....I was worried they might be a little too big, but I got them today and they are absolutely perfect in every dimension. For reference, I'm a Rudy 33 in trousers, but when I compared the measurements for the Smiths in 34, they were really close to a different pair of jeans I already own. I'm wearing them today already and I couldn't be happier with the purchase...so glad I didn't hesitate because now all the 34's are all gone. I especially like that they're a little longer, so I can cuff them up. I have long legs so I usually don't have enough length in trousers/jeans/chinos to cuff them, but I really love the way these look with the cuffs. I hope they don't shrink too much after the first wash, because if they get any shorter I might not have enough left to cuff.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to try again after I found the Rivet (see B&S ad below) to be a little too slim in the thigh for my liking. Ordered the Rudy Worsted Merino Wool trouser and really looking forward to a nice pair of pants....

oisin

Reaction score

Decided to try again after I found the Rivet (see B&S ad below) to be a little too slim in the thigh for my liking. Ordered the Rudy Worsted Merino Wool trouser and really looking forward to a nice pair of pants....

I'd be on that except the two rivets I have are just too short (which I don't get with the 35" inseam, when the trousers are all just about right). It's a bummer because I love them, but I'm just flooding a bit too much in them even before washing. I'm sure you'll find a buyer though.

trig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ugh can't decide between purchasing a pair of rivet chinos in japanese khaki or british khaki.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads