1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. beez

beez Senior Member

Weird. Same thing happens to me with my cashmere Sameulsohn. I will think about this...

2. El Argentino

El Argentino Distinguished Member

Asked this in the "Quick Question" thread w/o response, but it deals particularly w/ EP pants so I'll throw it up here too:

I'm loving my wool RCs from last year, but worried that wearing them too much/hard will get them to that shiny phase from which I assume there's no return. Anyone w/ any thoughts, advice, etc?

3. brp2

brp2 Distinguished Member

As noted above, this is a really common issue with sport coats / suit jackets, and it's also an easy fix for a tailor. I don't think I've had a single coat -- even semi-custom ones -- that haven't required some degree of neck work.

4. Artking3

Artking3 Senior Member

Almost all my jackets had bunching under the collar. My tailor fixed every single one. He is a licensed Master Tailor, and he's the only person I let touch my suits and sport coats.

5. jt2gt

jt2gt Senior Member

A. Congrats on the little one...awesome.

B. Anyone have a real world pic of the Russet Tweed Walts...more orange or brown/Khaki?

thanks...JT

6. joshg8

joshg8 Well-Known Member

Would a fabric brush work to restore some of the "nep" and reduce some of the shininess like a suede brush can do for shoes? I just picked one up from Amazon that is good at restoring the look of anything from suit jackets to sweaters and most importantly for me removes the dog hair like a reusable/better lint roller.

7. Don L

Don L Distinguished Member

More Orange/Brown than Khaki.

[​IMG]

8. about11oclock

about11oclock Distinguished Member

Mike, (when you have a chance) are there still plans for a washed university stripe oxford from EPLA?

Thanks!

9. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Thumb Raider

10. El Argentino

Haha - perhaps.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

11. el es dee

el es dee Senior Member

Just received my first pair of Rivets today and they are beautiful pants, but they don't fit at all! This is strange to me because I ordered the same size as my walts and I cant even button the waist closed. Is there a chance that they were mislabeled during production?

12. kwanon

kwanon Senior Member

Not a crazy idea but please start with something relatively fine like 600. It will feel rather smooth to your fingers but I doubt your pants would agree.

13. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Hey guys! Thanks so much for all of the kind words - Adele and I really appreciate it. We received a lot of notes from our customers from all over social media, and it means so much. We're thrilled with the new arrival and settling in to this twilight zone of no sleep and explosive poop cleaning nicely. And altmana - a huge congrats from us as well! Let me just post up the Fit Contest Poll once again: http://www.styleforum.net/t/379504/epaulet-fit-contest-polling-thread-closes-thursday-2-13/0_90 Please click over there when you can and cast your votes. The polling ends on Thursday, and as NYI wrote, "it takes balls to post a fit pic on the Internet," so let's make it worth their while!
    Absolutely. We're going to roll out EPLA shirts a bit slowly, but it's my goal to have about 12-15 stock styles by June, and that would include at least one University Stripe OCBD.
    @ El Argentino (sorry, not sure why it won't let me quote your original post) Wool becoming shiny with wear and dry cleaning is something that I remember from my first years of working. I had two Hugo Boss suits and alternated them from one day to the next. I must have dry cleaned them at least once a week, maybe more. I remember them taking a shine pretty quickly, maybe after a few months. Since then, I actually haven't had that happen on any other trousers or sportcoats. Part of that is having a much larger rotation of garments and dry cleaning them very infrequently. But I also believe that higher quality wool (that Hugo Boss stuff was probably crap) is also more resistant to this effect. But there's definitely some things that you can do: 1) You can worry about flannels and tweeds less. Smooth fabrics are more apt to take on a shine, so I wouldn't stress too much about those Rivet Chinos. 2) If you have a basic grey or navy pant that you like and wear all of the time, then buy at least one more of them. Two trousers (like two pairs of shoes) will always last more than twice as long as one. There is a definite truth to giving fine clothing a "cool-down" period 3) Use dry cleaning as sparingly as possible. Even without a shine, dry cleaning will degrade your clothing over time and accelerate its aging. As wool loses its oils, it become brittle and more likely to break and shred. As a rule, don't dry clean anything unless it really needs it. I only dry clean trousers if I spill something on them or sweat in them like crazy. Most trousers and sportcoats are totally fine if you hang them up and give them a day to air out. 4) For guys who need to dress more formally for work, many of them dry clean more for a neat and pressed look than for actual cleaning. If this is the case, then consider buying a quality steamer and trouser press. The steamer will knock out any wrinkles in your jacket. And trouser presses will give you a sharp crease if you want one. They'll pay for themselves pretty quickly with what you save on cleaning. And your clothing will last longer. 5) I've never personally owned one, but I've known guys who swear by Kent Brushes. If you're going to brush your trousers, I imagine that this would yield the best results: http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopexd.asp?id=51&catid=49
    Yes, this neck bump is pretty common. Most of the time it's minimal or non-existent on our customers, but for some guys (me included), a part of your shoulders, upper back, or traps is simply not in the pattern and extra fabric ends up bunching up there. It's not necessarily an easy fix, but it is a common one, and a real menswear tailor should be able to handle it.
    I love this look. You see this type of thing in Italy all of the time. I'm really a fan of checked jackets and light washed jeans. We'll bring out both of them soon!
    Thank you sir, and glad that you dig it! Sweatshirt looks like a perfect fit on you.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014

14. El Argentino

Mike, thank you for the informed response.

15. CPaul

CPaul Senior Member

Mike,
    I emailed the contact email the other day for a return. I understand you might be busy with the new baby (congrats by the way) so didn't want to pester you.

Thanks,
    Chris