• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a tailoring question for you. All of my Epaulet sport coats fit well in the shoulders and chest, but I have bunching to varying degrees in the back of the collar on all of them.

Looks like this:

Is this really as easy a fix as the description says? Have any of you guys had your tailor "lower the collar"?

My tailor is above average IMO, but he won't touch it. He says it can't be done.

Last edited:

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys,

I have a tailoring question for you. All of my Epaulet sport coats fit well in the shoulders and chest, but I have bunching to varying degrees in the back of the collar on all of them.

Looks like this:

Is this really as easy a fix as the description says? Have any of you guys had your tailor "lower the collar"?

My tailor is above average IMO, but he won't touch it. He says it can't be done.

Is your tailor in Portland? Which one?

I have not had this done, but I have had great work from Sylvan at European Master Tailor in Morgan's Alley. He's expensive, but worth it IMO. For stiff like simple hems, or shortening shirts you can get work done for less elsewhere, but his suiting work is top notch.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I actually was going to go to Sylvan to try to have this done. I read great reviews about him--glad to hear you feel the same.

I've been going to Kim's Tailor shop over in Cedar Hills.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys,

Find another tailor. This is an easy fix.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys,

Looks like this:

It's a fairly easy fix. The tailor removes the collar, cuts out the excess fabric, and re-attaches the collar. I've had it done on a number of my RTW jackets.

Last edited:

kidnesiac

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looks like this:

As a result of straight shoulders, I must get all of my sportcoats fixed for the collar crease. I have gotten creases fixed with varying degrees of success. My best experiences have generally been Brooks Brothers (in New York); they will accept work on Epaulet pieces because of Southwick.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the Ashland cutaway collars the same as the in house Epaulet line? Or is the cutaway a little less severe?

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a result of straight shoulders, I must get all of my sportcoats fixed for the collar crease. I have gotten creases fixed with varying degrees of success. My best experiences have generally been Brooks Brothers (in New York); they will accept work on Epaulet pieces because of Southwick.
I am glad you had good experiences, but I must caution against using Brooks Brothers' Madison Avenue Flagship store. The tailoring is done off of the premises, somewhere in Long Island City. I had them horribly mistreat several suits and sport jackets I purchased, ruining one outright and causing numerous problems with others, even after failing to make the alterations by the promised deadlines. Brooks Brothers was very good about fixing the issues and apologizing, but I was just blown away by how bad (totally incompetent) the work was.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Barena arrived today and I'm blown away by the beauty; I can only imagine the beauty of a baby arrival. Congratulations Mike and Adele!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads