• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Flannel Walts and Carmina Wingtips:

neutrino

Reaction score
^ Awesome. Saw a video from the trunk show, always fun to get to see the living people behind the nicknames.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well that makes sense. I guess I can just wear the green trousers I already have!

Haha, you've got a good collection going!

And you made a great suggestion - I'd actually be totally open to running a green or grey cast denim if I can source a reliable amount of it. Or we can try doing a green overdye. It would be a cool effect, as the jean would make up a very dark forest green, and as you wore it the green would wash out, revealing indigo below. When we get the fit set up for overdyeing then I'll run a bunch of different color samples to show you guys.

Sorry, Mike, I should have been more specific. I meant additional colors/fabrics to the rivet chino/washed smith jeans (the ones you offer in gunmetal, caramel duck and navy duck). I thought I recalled you mention something about that a while back.

Ah, good question. We were planning to reorder that piece in Caramel and I'm considering adding it in Moss as well. Any colors that you guys would like to see?

1) Would overdye be done on a finished pant, or fabric before cut and sew? Just wondering as it would be awesome to see some overdye jeans w/ contrast stitching as opposed to have all the stitching get dyed to match. Both look great, but you rarely see the contrast version and I think it can look particularly great on navy.

2) Chocolate duck would be cool. More importantly to me though: is there anyway these can keep a longer inseam than 33.5?

Candella

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of getting the Walt trousers but I'm afraid there'll be too much room in the rise.
Can anyone who wears a Size 31 in the Rivet chinos, tell me if they find the Walt in a size 29 or 30 with too much room?

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys,
I'm thinking of getting the Walt trousers but I'm afraid there'll be too much room in the rise.
Can anyone who wears a Size 31 in the Rivet chinos, tell me if they find the Walt in a size 29 or 30 with too much room?

I do 33 in both but the waist is always a bit big on both but good elsewhere. I'm debating a Rudy order and will probably go 32 for those.

I think 2 down will be too small from Rivet to Walt.

Last edited:

Todd V

Reaction score

I do 33 in both but the waist is always a bit big on both but good elsewhere. I'm debating a Rudy order and will probably go 32 for those.

I'm sort of the opposite. I find that a 31 in the Rivet is maybe sufficent to wear low on the hips. With Walts, I'll go down to a 30 so the legs are slim enough then let out the waist and seat a little. The rise is higher but that's what I'm looking for in a dress trouser. I think going down 1" from Rivet to Walt is the MAX.

kwanon

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I wear 29 in RC and 28 in Walt. There is zero excess rise in my case. I would even consider letting them out a tiny bit (so they sit lower and provide more room in crotch) if I thought it was worth the hassle and expense. I think a 29 Walt would be way too loose on me, though.
Remember that the Walt waist will be higher on your body, so the measurement will (may?) be smaller.

Last edited:

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear 29 in RC and 28 in Walt. There is zero excess rise in my case. I would even consider letting them out a tiny bit (so they sit lower and provide more room in crotch) if I thought it was worth the hassle and expense. I think a 29 Walt would be way too loose on me, though.
Remember that the Walt waist will be higher on your body, so the measurement will (may?) be smaller.

I wear the same size in both (32). Your post makes me wonder if I could size down one in the Walt, although both fit me pretty spot on and I'm afraid sizing down in the Walt would be too tight in the waist (could always let the waist out I assume, and the leg would still be a little slimmer).

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear the same size in both (32).  Your post makes me wonder if I could size down one in the Walt, although both fit me pretty spot on and I'm afraid sizing down in the Walt would be too tight in the waist (could always let the waist out I assume, and the leg would still be a little slimmer). 

same for me, I wear 32 in both, RC and Walt and wouldn't change a thing. Perfect fit for both.

neutrino

Reaction score
I'm a 31 in RC and around 31.5 in the Walt. I wonder if it's the higher rise of the Walt that does force guys with a slight gut (like myself) to size up a bit.

trig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
34 in both. but I take in the waist for the walts. 33 walt is too slim on my rear.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I'm the opposite. I'm a 29 in walts but at least a 30.5 for the Rivets. I guess my hips are a lot wider compared to my stomach area.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 34 Rudy, 36 Rivet, and I get the waist taken in on both. I need to size up because if I used my normal waist size then the thighs and butt would be too tight on both. Can't wear Walts at all without major tailoring, so I just stick to Rudys.

kwanon

Reaction score
I wear the same size in both (32). Your post makes me wonder if I could size down one in the Walt, although both fit me pretty spot on and I'm afraid sizing down in the Walt would be too tight in the waist (could always let the waist out I assume, and the leg would still be a little slimmer).
Mike always recommends sizing based on thighs, and adjusting waist/seat to match. Sounds like you could size down and let them out if you're really intent on a slimmer leg. IMO, if they fit well now I would leave it alone and continue as you have been. It depends if the extra alteration cost is worth it to you. Some fabrics might show external evidence of being let out?

So I've basically followed the above advice, except I don't bother letting them out, and it's close enough to not be an issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads