• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mbaum

Reaction score

The pocket flaps on the Andovers are designed to be folded in right?

You sure on that? not that it matters too much and, hey, just gives another way to wear it, but what would be the purpose of it? Analytical minds need to know ....

Shingles

Reaction score

You sure on that? not that it matters too much and, hey, just gives another way to wear it, but what would be the purpose of it? Analytical minds need to know ....

Heh heh. What I mean is that they're designed so that they could be folded in nicely, without excess fabric wrinkling weirdly on the sides of the pockets. Try folding in the pocket flaps on the Baker into its pockets, it doesn't turn out any good as the flaps are a bit wider than the pocket.

The purpose would probably be to hide the flaps for easier access to the pockets, if I were to guess. :)

Last edited:

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks Mike....

I already passed on the batik baker on sale in my size, I do like the print but just feel its more restricting to pair with other colors than the navy batik, and most pics I've seen make it look more like a tie dye rather than a true batik print, but then again I havent seen either irl so it's a pretty subjective opinion on my part

also the flaps on the new baker really bug me, as opposed to the flaps on the andover which can easily be tucked into the pocket without any fold over on the flap edges which ime make the pocket bubble and mess with the jackets natural silhouette, just personal preference really

on the other hand the navy rs bedford imho is just a staple piece as far as casual blazers go, really cant go wrong with that one, now I just have to blaze the interwebz for that andover in my size, thanks again for the fb

Last edited:

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The pocket flaps on the Andovers are designed to be folded in right? I'm actually looking at buying my first Andover right now. The navy tropical wool to go with the cinch pants in the same fabric (which I just received from Fedex).

ABSOLUTELY, and purpose for me would be mainly aesthetic and one of the reasons, aside from slimmer fit, that the andover is my favorite of the eg jacket line up, you can dress it up or down pretty easily and playing around with the flaps also helps in that department

Last edited:

mbaum

Reaction score
@Shingles Got it - Thank you, sir

@canstyleace I think you are right on on your description of the Black Batik on versatility and "tie dye" reference. It really is so nice though and I could not say no at the really nice price points for those jackets
smile.gif
The good thing: Whatever you get, it will be nice! Off to work ...

Shingles

Reaction score
Guys, anyone in the states that could proxy for me for some cash? I could have the garment sent to me but the cost was completely off the wall. I could arrange for the item to be sent to you with ground shipping which would only cost me $25. Then I would pay for you to send it to me + some extra for the service. Please PM me, cheers

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mbaum heres some different ways I like to wear the andover
chest pocket flap is always tucked in, ticket pocket flat is always out and I just play around with the bottom flaps (in or out)
pocket square always helps to dress it up (add shawl collar cinch vest ftw)

Last edited:

El QUaG

Reaction score
The pocket flaps on the Andovers are designed to be folded in right? I'm actually looking at buying my first Andover right now. The navy tropical wool to go with the cinch pants in the same fabric (which I just received from Fedex).

ABSOLUTELY, and purpose for me would be mainly aesthetic and one of the reasons, aside from slimmer fit, that the andover is my favorite of the eg jacket line up, you can dress it up or down pretty easily and playing around with the flaps also helps in that department

Majority of EG jackets in my collection are the Andover. The flaps to all four pockets (two sides, a ticket and left breast) are cleverly designed to go either way, tucked in or left out.

The breast pocket in particular, gives one the option to have a flap there in the absence of a pocket square. Something different.

And speaking of Batik print. Missing the Cambridge Shorts to complete the collection!

yesssir

Reaction score
Wow you guys put me onto something new. I never thought about tucking in the pockets to the Andover. I honestly like them out though as I mostly wear my blazers with denim or chinos very casually. I must admit they do look nice tucked in the way canstyleace wears them in all his pics.

@Mbaum you've done some damage this season. I thought I bought too much EG this season but you have me beat. Looks good on you.

@El QUaGthat batik collection looks great! Looking forward to more of your fit pics.

dogmoney

Reaction score
Anybody got experience with both the olive ripstop bedford and the houndstooth bedford.. Any sizing difference between the two? I want to pick up the HT but inventory have no returns on sale items so need to be kind of sure.. Help much appreciated. @mbaum it seems as if we're the same EG size :)

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gentry told me houndstooth fits slightly slimmer, but not sure if enough to size down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads