• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sieglinde

Reaction score
Anyone purchase the poplin baker?

How does the material feel?

I might want to switch the ripstop bedford I got for the baker.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Do any of you guys know where to get some nice chains? I guess it's matter of trawling through some markets or something. My local RRL shop has some really nice vintage ones but the thinner, more discrete ones that I like aren't for sale. Only the really bulky ones, which isn't really my style at all.

I also collect Fountain Pens and some the best ones I've acquired was at yard sales. I ask the yard sale folks if they have any pens in the house that they didn't think about selling and if so, that I'd be interested. Usually, they are clueless of value, so for pennies......

mbaum

Reaction score
Gary, would love to see some of the fountain pen treasures you got. In order to stay on topic, you can take a pic with something from EG in it :)

I loved those in high school and remember buying a small Mont Blanc Meisterstueck. Boy, was that expensive for a high school student in Germany. I also have a rare metal Pelican fountain pen with a gold tip that I inherited from my father. It is a decidedly 60's design in a shape that all of those Pelican pens came back in the days but the make/ material was quite unique compared to those that everybody had in school.

Mike

Last edited:

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Gary, would love to see some of the fountain pen treasures you got. In order to stay on topic, you can take a pic with something from EG in it :)

I loved those in high school and remember buying a small Mont Blanc Meisterstueck. Boy, was that expensive for a high school student in Germany. I also have a rare metal Pelican fountain pen with a gold tip that I inherited from my father. It is a decidedly 60's design in a shape that all of those Pelican pens came back in the days but the make/ material was quite unique compared to those that everybody had in school.

Mike
Interesting you should say that. I also bought my MB in high school, a 149. My mom initially was opposed to the idea since its an unusually expensive pen for a high school student, but I made the case that if I played video games like everyone else I would have quickly spent that much by buying one game at a time, and squandered my money on something that would be worthless in a few years. I'm glad I did get it then, because they've since jacked up the price to almost twice as much as it was in 2005.

Sorry for the derail, but my first engineered garment is still in the mail, so I can't comment on it yet.

AlexanderTG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was in NYC this weekend and stopped into Nepenthes on 38th St. Wonderful place and people.

Picked up this very nice Needles Ink Dyed Reverse Lapel jacket as well as the USN Oxford Cotton Heather Gray pants.

Above stock photos

Even got a (complimentary) beautiful and large EG navy tote (my color pick out of four options).

I was a bit bummed that they weren't on sales yet (they said July) but still, I probably wouldn't have kopped either piece without trying them on. So I'm very happy. Will post fit pics in time.

Last edited:

ekimneems

Reaction score

Anyone purchase the poplin baker?

How does the material feel?

I might want to switch the ripstop bedford I got for the baker.

I got one a couple of months ago. It's really awesome - it's definitely "weather poplin" in that it's a bit "crispier" than a softer cotton. I wear it probably way more often than I should, but it wicks moisture pretty well and breathes well too. I got caught in a bad rain storm two weeks ago with the jacket on and I got soaking wet. The thing dried up way faster than most other cotton blazer would and still looked great.

The only downside to the fabric in my experience is that it's a magnet for hair. I definitely find myself having to use a lint roller on it every other wear or so.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so who has grabbed the navy batik andover? I think PRT got it but not sure, penny for your thoughts....

I was pretty much convinced I was going for the black batik baker then kind of forgot about it a bit but then remembered and realized the navy batik andover would pair much much better with my current wardrobe, the lighter tone, the green and the slightly more even print are all pros for me vs the black batik, also cant get over the bottom pocket flaps on the baker, doesn't seem like they'd fold in nicely like on the andover, am I right? I do love the older baker with just 3 patch pockets though

Last edited:

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your post reminded me of my friend in college who was constantly on adderall. But yeah I too thought Batik print/foulard would stay in stock until sales season but apparently I was wrong

Last edited:

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take that as a compliment (#natural high)

I did have a long vacation and normal life/work issues in between the forgetting and remembering (#priorities)

Last edited:

Shingles

Reaction score
Canstyleace, you are right about the flaps on the Baker. They're meant to stay outside of the pockets and not be folded in. The flaps are wider than the pockets...
I think Yesssir got the batik Andover. (Demanding fit pic!)

Last edited:

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks shingles, makes me feel a lot better as I recently passed on it while on sale and got the rs bedford instead

other than ticket pocket on the andover, I dont really like pocket flaps that much on casual blazers

Last edited:

yesssir

Reaction score
@shingles @canstyleaceI posted this in the WAYWT thread a few weeks ago but forgot to post it here too but here's a fitpic of the navy batik andover. I chose this one over the black batik baker because I wear a lot of neutral colors. It's nice and lightweight and it fits similar to this seasons bedford but of course slimmer. I took a large in this seasons bedford and a large in the andover as well. I'm in love with the paisley lining! I picked mine up from Nepenthes. If you can grab one I highly recommend it.

mbaum

Reaction score
so who has grabbed the navy batik andover? I think PRT got it but not sure, penny for your thoughts....

I was pretty much convinced I was going for the black batik baker then kind of forgot about it a bit but then remembered and realized the navy batik andover would pair much much better with my current wardrobe, the lighter tone, the green and the slightly more even print are all pros for me vs the black batik, also cant get over the bottom pocket flaps on the baker, doesn't seem like they'd fold in nicely like on the andover, am I right? I do love the older baker with just 3 patch pockets though

also been looking around the webshops and haven't seen much of the batik andover, so who's seen it around, and where, or am I late to the game and SOL

I got both prints (With Foulard, all three) this season. Black batik is still king IMO and the Baker fits well. Both prints are extremely versatile but the the blue Batik might have a slight edge, given the green-ish color in it so I got the vest for it. It pairs extremely well with the ripstop Bedford (And I can imagine with any other olive/ beige/ khaki colors apart from the usual blue). Both batik prints also go very well together. Not sure though I would agree that blue is "the more even print". I think it is louder, black is more subtle. Foulard IMO, is best for accessories (Hat, tie, vest).

Re: flaps: Both, Andover and Baker have it and not sure that I worry too much about it. Andover lining is indeed very nice :) Agree with YS, I went all with L on all jackets consistently. Bedford, Baker and Andover.

Re: availability: The Black Batik is now pretty picked over, especially for L and XL. Some smaller sizes might still be around at US/ CAN/ EUR retailers. The Blue Batik is more available. Though, I believe that you should be able to still find both.

Mike

Shingles

Reaction score
@canstyleace
Me neither, which is one of the reasons that the Bedford is my favorite blazer. That, and the fit among other things.

@yesssir
Such a cool print. And that lining really is fantastic.

The pocket flaps on the Andovers are designed to be folded in right? I'm actually looking at buying my first Andover right now. The navy tropical wool to go with the cinch pants in the same fabric (which I just received from Fedex).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads