• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

El QUaG

Reaction score
Having only visited the US on holidays a couple of years ago, what is the difference between Nordstrom and Bloomingdales? I was of the opinion both were typical department stores, Nordstrom being maybe a notch or two below in terms of quality/range of brands.

At the time of my last trip in 2013, I thought it was interesting to note EG was carried in Bloomingdales SF and NYC. Only a small selection was stocked, but much to my surprise/amazement, I scored a couple of pieces at deep discount. Not sure if they're still carrying the brand?

blue peter

Reaction score
Having only visited the US on holidays a couple of years ago, what is the difference between Nordstrom and Bloomingdales? I was of the opinion both were typical department stores, Nordstrom being maybe a notch or two below in terms of quality/range of brands.

At the time of my last trip in 2013, I thought it was interesting to note EG was carried in Bloomingdales SF and NYC. Only a small selection was stocked, but much to my surprise/amazement, I scored a couple of pieces at deep discount. Not sure if they're still carrying the brand?

you're spot on - they are pretty typical department stores, hence the surprise to find EG on their stock list...ah, well...

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nordstrom is like...Selfridges - maybe? It's steps above Marks & Spencer's but steps below, say, Liberty London? Been a while since I was last in the UK so could be far off...
Thanks.

eluther

Reaction score
Nordstrom is in the business of selling "designer" clothes. EG is in the business of designing and making clothes that people want to sell to in the high-end market – to be surprised about something like this feels naive. If EG begun making clothes that catered to the Nordstrom consumer, rather than Nordstrom trying to direct their clientele to EG, I'd say something was amiss. But it's not. Nothing has changed for the brand's aesthetic nor the production quality, so handwringing over it being sold somewhere you find distasteful or tacky is really precious.

Also, EG is already sold at Bloomingdales and they receive exclusive makeups no one else does. Last FW, they had the yellow floral print that was only available on the Lafayette shirt done up on tab collars. Yet, nothing that anyone's noticed has changed since then.

And one last analogy: no one says anything about the deterioration of Alden because of some of the absolutely atrociously tacky stores that sell their shoes. Popularization means more choice and a greater chance for kopping jawnz on sale.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know how this makes me feel...(saying this somewhat sarcastically). I mean, I know it's incredibly "snobby" to look at a brand negatively because it's sold in an establishment like Nordstrom but...damn...I know I shouldn't love EG any less because of this...gah. Somebody help me with these feelings I'm having...(said sarcastically...kind of!) haha

As has been pointed out, Bloomingdale's has carried EG in their SoHo store since 2011, I believe. Not sure how well it's doing, though. Nordie's isn't terrible, they have great customer service -- I used to buy all my "work" clothes there years ago when I lived in California. Their house brand suits and separates are good quality for money, tbh, and they have great sales on stuff like ties and dress shirts.

Over the years they've tried to attract a hipper crowd, so having an EG account would fit into that. I also suspect that EG sells a lot more clothing than you might think. They probably have 250 accounts worldwide, maybe more (just look at how many Jpn sellers there are), and some of them probably move a huge amount of basics.

Honestly, the blander EG offerings (chinos, jeans, work shirts, 19th c bds, andover/bedford in plain fabrics,flight jacket) are probably right in the typical Nordstrom customer's wheelhouse.

One thing that has remained solid is the quality of the clothes -- the finishing is always tight, the seams and fabrics hold up, and buttons don't fall off -- any dropoff of that front would be a harbinger of something not good.

Last edited:

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd say Nordstrom caters to a less fashion-conscious, more conservative customer, but i wouldn't say they sell clothes of lesser quality than Bloomingdales. They carry Ervell, AMI, Yohji, Junya and a few other interesting, directional brands. They might tend toward buying items with broader appeal, though.

NXNW

Reaction score
Not disagreeing with anyone here. My bias & feelings come from growing up with that specific Bellevue location and thinking/wishing it should be/was downtown. More conservative than Bloomingdales with crazy good customer service and return policy is a good way to describe them. DT flagship has been opening up though, comme des garcons, I saw huge selections of CPs and MMMs there while picking up shoe trees a few weeks ago.

blue peter

Reaction score
As has been pointed out, Bloomingdale's has carried EG in their SoHo store since 2011, I believe. Not sure how well it's doing, though. Nordie's isn't terrible, they have great customer service -- I used to buy all my "work" clothes there years ago when I lived in California. Their house brand suits and separates are good quality for money, tbh, and they have great sales on stuff like ties and dress shirts.

Over the years they've tried to attract a hipper crowd, so having an EG account would fit into that. I also suspect that EG sells a lot more clothing than you might think. They probably have 250 accounts worldwide, maybe more (just look at how many Jpn sellers there are), and some of them probably move a huge amount of basics.

Honestly, the blander EG offerings (chinos, jeans, work shirts, 19th c bds, andover/bedford in plain fabrics,flight jacket) are probably right in the typical Nordstrom customer's wheelhouse.

One thing that has remained solid is the quality of the clothes -- the finishing is always tight, the seams and fabrics hold up, and buttons don't fall off -- any dropoff of that front would be a harbinger of something not good.

interesting - my mind is -mostly- at ease! love eg and the fact that it's sold in a few select "chain" stores
Not disagreeing with anyone here. My bias & feelings come from growing up with that specific Bellevue location and thinking/wishing it should be/was downtown. More conservative than Bloomingdales with crazy good customer service and return policy is a good way to describe them. DT flagship has been opening up though, comme des garcons, I saw huge selections of CPs and MMMs there while picking up shoe trees a few weeks ago.

yeah - I guess what i'm now realizing is that I simply haven't been in a Nordstrom in a while! haha, I guess I should have done a bit of research before I posted...in fact, NXNW, the only Nordstrom experiences I can remember come from the dt seattle one (when I was a student at UW) back in the early 2000s and i just remember a lot of 7 for all mankind, ed hardy and crap of that ilk laying about...i guess Nordstrom's has upped its game (at some locations, at least). still, it's a "chain store" and carries with it certain "chain store stigmas" but that's mostly the snob in me talking and probably nothing more! haha - it's all good, my love for eg is no weaker than two days ago!

relatedly, someone a few posts back speculate that eg had about 250 stockists ww - can that really be? i mean, i know there are a bunch in japan, but there can't be THAT many. certainly there are only a handful in N. America and Europe...I'd place my bet somewhere around 100...ah, well

agvs

Reaction score
relatedly, someone a few posts back speculate that eg had about 250 stockists ww - can that really be? i mean, i know there are a bunch in japan, but there can't be THAT many. certainly there are only a handful in N. America and Europe...I'd place my bet somewhere around 100...ah, well

This list is not exhaustive or up to date and there are about 120 here http://chrispacheco.com/brands/engineered-garments so who knows? There are always oddball places that stock it like this https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/CNE

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This list is not exhaustive or up to date and there are about 120 here http://chrispacheco.com/brands/engineered-garments so who knows? There are always oddball places that stock it like this https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/CNE

Yeah, I speculated 250, because on the (admittedly rudimentary) EG web site I lost track around 150 or so, and that was pretty much just North America, a few countries in Europe, and Japan. But there are a lot more, and if Tools for Working Wood (where I bought all the supplies to renovate 2 apartments in New York a decade ago is selling EG, then you can buy it just about anywhere...

dixonmanor

Reaction score
MAC in SF got their first delivery on Tuesday. Not a super exciting buy, IMO. Maybe 5 varieties of Button Shawl, BDU Shirt Jacket in Black Denim, painter pants in black, some blazers, cable knit shawl collar sweater, a few shirts. They did get a crazy overall-esque thing, but instead of the top being your typical overall strap set up, it buttons up the front, and is sleeveless. Almost a "pants with attached vest" look.

SirMeowly

Reaction score
Man... when are the tweed bedford jackets dropping. Finally getting cold enough around Seattle to wear wool.

NXNW

Reaction score
Man... when are the tweed bedford jackets dropping. Finally getting cold enough around Seattle to wear wool.
I think I remember John at Jackstraw telling me the deliveries were running really late this year and he expected his bedfords in mid to late Sept. I know he's waiting on some great blazers. But I agree, busted out my CPO yesterday.

SirMeowly

Reaction score
Yeah he told me the same thing, I'm just want them to come now!!

rusticchasm

Reaction score
if you see an andover 8.5oz twill in dark navy from this season size XS, let me know!!!

or if you want to take the matching pants in a size 30 NWT off my hands, let me know!!!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads