• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eluther

Reaction score
@blue peter – I assume they're the navy cords? Since the pants are textured, that makes it a good bit easier. I'd recommend a dark jacket – i.e. black or grey – and try to do something tonal with interesting textures. Trying to do something adhering to the "correct" CM rules of navy pants is going to be hard. Really the only options you'd have from that perspective are something in a pattern or in khaki.

As for using a SS jacket – that might be fine. I often don't care for mixing seasons because the fabric weights feel too disjointed – but, that isn't to say it's unilaterally bad, just takes a keener sense to do well.

lifeinabox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jackstraw got their Bedfords in, as well.

• Grey tweed (my favorite)
  • Brown HB
  • Cable knit
  • Navy/black horizontal stripe

The cable knit Bedford is really, really short. My guess is that they wash them after sewing the pieces together and they miscalculated the shrinkage on the fabric – you definitely need to size up.

The brown HB also reads, at a distance, exactly like the brown homespun from last FW. If you missed out on that, you could definitely get one of these.

Also – after the discussion of Nordstrom carrying EG, so I went out there and they hadn't received the shipment yet. They're also stocking Mr. Porter-level priced stuff (Moncler, Givenchy, etc.) so I don't think EG's really much of a stretch.

Re: the B1P pants – I find that the pleats are really inconspicuous because if you wear a jacket, they're completely hidden.
thanks for the heads up. Going to be up in Seattle tomorrow and will check out cable knit and grey tweed bedfords.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I don't know how this makes me feel...(saying this somewhat sarcastically). I mean, I know it's incredibly "snobby" to look at a brand negatively because it's sold in an establishment like Nordstrom but...damn...I know I shouldn't love EG any less because of this...gah. Somebody help me with these feelings I'm having...(said sarcastically...kind of!) haha

Same page as you man. I've been going to that Bellevue Square Nords since I was 5 and (trying not to be the typical Seattlite that hates on the eastside) seeing EG there gives me very mixed feelings. Hey once Uniqlo opens I'll have 2 reasons to go to Bellevue. 

The good thing about Bellevue Square Nordstroms selling EG is that no one will buy it and there will be a good selection come markdown season.
The bad thing about Nordstroms selling EG is that no one will buy it and they'll only carry it for a couple seasons.

benjaminroy

Reaction score
I bought a Bedford in Navy Moleskin about a month ago and first wearing it today. While giving it a quick steam this morning I noticed that one of the seams on the back is a bit fucked up. Looks like the fabric is curling out from under the seam there and the edge is fraying.

Is there a way to get this back to EG to be repaired? Do they do any kind of warranty like that? I am in New York so I could take it to NNY before leaving town tomorrow.

Last edited:

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a Bedford in Navy Moleskin about a month ago and first wearing it today. While giving it a quick steam this morning I noticed that one of the seams on the back is a bit fucked up. Looks like the fabric is curling out from under the seam there and the edge is fraying.

Is there a way to get this back to EG to be repaired? Do they do any kind of warranty like that? I am in New York so I could take it to NNY before leaving town tomorrow.

US retail customs and legislation are a bit different to Europe, but I'd suggest contacting whoever you bought it from.

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd take it to them and explain the situation to them. I know in the past people from this thread have emailed them with similar quality control issues and they've fixed or replaced the item. Wouldn't call in a definite warranty or anything just Nepenthes being cool like that.

Portland Dry Goods

Reaction score

I'd take it to them and explain the situation to them. I know in the past people from this thread have emailed them with similar quality control issues and they've fixed or replaced the item. Wouldn't call in a definite warranty or anything just Nepenthes being cool like that.

I've heard of that happening too - they're good about QC and righting wrongs. at any rate it looks like a small, mendable thing - talk with nepenthes, the shop you brought it from, or even your local tailor. shouldn't be hard to get it into working condition.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

eluther, what color jacket would you rec styling with the navy B1Ps? is the "correct" styling, a lighter top than the trousers? i'm thinking brown or grey wool bedford? would you think that the ripstop bedford from last year would be too much of a contrast of fabrics to pair with the B1Ps? wondering how to style these...thanks for the heads up on the bedfords!

I've got this year's navy fatigues, and plan on wearing them with most colours (this year's Olive moleskin, last year's brown and olive tweed bedfords, a mid grey herringbone bedford, a dark grey wool landsdown, a black CPO, even a wool twill navy bedford). I think summer fabrics can work with corduroy but only the more substantial fabrics. The tropical wools are probably a bit light, as are some of lighter cotton jackets. Canvas or denim would be fine. Thinking about my summer pieces I'd consider my Olive ripstop explorer, but not my cotton baker, bedford or nehru, or jersey shawl collar. It's really a try it and see...

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's recommendations on the Olive Moleskin Bedford - beautiful colour in real life, a true vibrant moss green rather than a dull brownish colour.

tdude

Reaction score

not sure when I'm going to get better images of these, but tweed Bedfords are indeed out in the wild. here's our three...

.....and a bonus

Where are these for sale?

lifeinabox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up the tweed Bedford after much internal debate between it and the cable knit. As Eluther mentioned the cable knit runs small. However, I tried on the large and it was too wide across the shoulders/chest. It's also very cropped. The tweed is a nice relaxed fit. Now just have to find opportunity to wear it in LA!

tobiasfunke

Reaction score
Most sites are listing the Outback Canvas Fatigues as TTS—is this with the side button tabs buttoned or unbuttoned? I have a 33" waist and am trying to decide between the 32 and 34.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up the tweed Bedford after much internal debate between it and the cable knit. As Eluther mentioned the cable knit runs small. However, I tried on the large and it was too wide across the shoulders/chest. It's also very cropped. The tweed is a nice relaxed fit. Now just have to find opportunity to wear it in LA!

Nice! Who in LA has the bedfords in stock?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads