• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a strange post guys but glancing at my main shoe rack made me smile at something I never saw coming. Background, I’ve got limited space (and a collection to match) that requires me to rotate seasonal footwear. I have 7 spaces for boots that fit either on the top shelf or beside the rack. In the summer they go into secondary storage and I rotate out warmer weather fare. For me, this occurred this past weekend. The order is somewhat strategic, best/most worn are displayed on the top shelf and ordered accordingly on the remaining shelves. WFH today and I glanced at the rack and noticed something that would have been unimaginable even a year ago. There are no Alden’s on the top shelf. Almost as surprising is that the top shelf is exclusively for one maker, EG. Definitely took me by surprise…….

E9265CA2-15F9-452A-BC35-58401EEC8B27.jpeg
D3621044-1AEE-45C0-A398-DE2F1F758C59.jpeg

Second shelf is all Alden, FWIW. The rotating this year was done with a little sadness. I love boots and the winter in Pgh has been crazy. I have not had a single wear of boots in snow this year. Not once.

Actually not happy about rotating out without having the chance to wear in snow.

Edit - looks like the remaining 3 shelves are all Alden.

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a strange post guys but glancing at my main shoe rack made me smile at something I never saw coming. Background, I’ve got limited space (and a collection to match) that requires me to rotate seasonal footwear. I have 7 spaces for boots that fit either on the top shelf or beside the rack. In the summer they go into secondary storage and I rotate out warmer weather fare. For me, this occurred this past weekend. The order is somewhat strategic, best/most worn are displayed on the top shelf and ordered accordingly on the remaining shelves. WFH today and I glanced at the rack and noticed something that would have been unimaginable even a year ago. There are no Alden’s on the top shelf. Almost as surprising is that the top shelf is exclusively for one maker, EG. Definitely took me by surprise…….

View attachment 1924203 View attachment 1924205

Second shelf is all Alden, FWIW. The rotating this year was done with a little sadness. I love boots and the winter in Pgh has been crazy. I have not had a single wear of boots in snow this year. Not once.

Actually not happy about rotating out without having the chance to wear in snow.

Alden makes some really versatile shoes but (for me) with a caveat. I notice that I'd have to be wearing clothing that isn't as smart or as fitted.

Sure it could work, but a pair of EGs immediately elevates the outfit so I'd grab that over Alden. Alden, more often than not, gets selected when improving the final look doesn't matter. Trip to the supermarket. Walk around the block. Taking my boys to the Science museum...etc etc.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden makes some really versatile shoes but (for me) with a caveat. I notice that I'd have to be wearing clothing that isn't as smart or as fitted.

Sure it could work, but a pair of EGs immediately elevates the outfit so I'd grab that over Alden. Alden, more often than not, gets selected when improving the final look doesn't matter. Trip to the supermarket. Walk around the block. Taking my boys to the Science museum...etc etc.

Ha. Different strokes my-man……..

Crappy weather day in the Burg so I went top-shelf and grabbed the burgundy grain Dovers on Dainite. These have definitely opened my mind to Dainite as they feel fine (though I have a pair of boots on the same sole that are not at all comfortable)……..

D30CB1BD-625F-4897-9065-0F4DC625A41E.jpeg

shoefan57

Reaction score
Halifax in Cotswold grain looks like London Grain but looks a smaller print on the other boots. I like the range though not convinced by unlined boots for Autumn Winter in UK. Sadly their Wholesale ranges don’t appear for sale on their website - eg no 303 last yet . But I live in hope …

Ken1036

Reaction score

View attachment 1924203 View attachment 1924205

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It dawned on me one day: why buy Alden when you can have EG for twice as much, twice the enjoyment, 1.5 times the durability and three times the soul-stirring satisfaction and happiness?

I’m still an Alden fan but I do find this a reasonable question. For me, I stumbled on Alden and came as close to falling in love as one can with material things. Knew nothing about high-end footwear and figured they were as good as it gets. Hanging out here and ultimately discovered this whole new world. While my style and taste doesn’t jive with typical narrow (what some would call ‘smart’ footwear “) I did become intrigued by EG. Took the plunge and yeah, I like a lot. It feels like a natural evolution to transition from Alden to EG in some cases. Still haven’t had much luck with EG shell and Alden boots are still my favorites, but I certainly understand the sentiment. Fortunately for my wallet, I am much closer to the end of my buying journey than the middle.

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I know Alden still gets the best shell from Horween.

Speculative I'd say because Alden adds layers of coloring and its the acrylic finish. Could Horween supply them with pieces that are less than spectacular knowing they are coloring them and refinishing them? Maybe.

I can say most of the biggest companies pretty much order quality skins. I can also add that not all the companies (probably none) will have someone select the absolute best pieces as it requires a person to sort out what's requested. They just buy in bulk, in a certain color, and size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads