• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would be interesting if so. The canonical Galway I always picture is the mink suede/DOAK combo. (Not that I'm against single material. I have an all snuff suede pair that's one of my most worn.)
That one is definitely available on their site

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also of relevance in the E vs F width discussion, I was wearing these F202 Utah Galways tonight. The lighting makes them look a bit darker than they are. I think an F width suits these, especially worn very casually.

D872A595-0737-40F6-8A0F-52C9DB036B63.jpeg

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took a quick afternoon trip to Jermyn St and I wore these beauties. I frankly don't put them on often enough.

IMG_0854.jpeg

And I did order the full Mink Galways on 202D. Now the hard part is waiting for them to arrive. Tried on the E-width which was a little too voluminous but still looks great.

IMG_0860.JPG

montecristo#2

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the 888 last? EG seems to be moving away from it.

Just picked up a pair of Westminsters on it and I rather like them.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the 888 last? EG seems to be moving away from it.

Just picked up a pair of Westminsters on it and I rather like them.
I've got a pair of Chelseas on it. Not my best fitting last but I like the shape a lot - it's a bit edgier than other EG lasts but still quite classic. I think it lends itself very well to more formal styles.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a pair of Chelseas on it. Not my best fitting last but I like the shape a lot - it's a bit edgier than other EG lasts but still quite classic. I think it lends itself very well to more formal styles.

Should come as no surprise to some, but I guess it could to those unaware, that the 888 last is a Gaziano last. Well a modified 888 since Tony Gaziano based it off of a pre-existing EG last, but that's where that "edgy" aesthetic comes from. So, that 888 last comes as a precursor to the proceeding G&G lasts.
The 82 being another one of his, yet somehow (probably because it is rounded) is still as popular today as it was at its introduction.

@montecristo#2 to answer your question, other lasts just sell better than that one (as told to me from someone at EG). That's all it is.

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DOAK Dovers for me yesterday…….

F1318295-29EB-4B58-91FB-5BCB184CCE19.jpeg

DB2D2B89-DF69-4B32-A9B7-817A39F77FBE.jpeg

Also, following the lead of @E. coli, took a comparison of the pie crust with grain. I’m sure there’s a difference to the discerning eye but for the life of me I don’t see it…….

6C705A17-8DE8-4BEE-BC39-35EB1C11BCAD.jpeg

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do people size with Piccadilly (184)? I'm generally a size UK7,5 with most brands. I've owned shoes made on the 888 last in size UK8 before and the fit wasn't good. I couldn't fit into UK7,5 due to width issues with the 888 last. I ended up selling them. Potentially eyeing a pair of Piccadilly now though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads