• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About to order my first Galways this weekend. For context, I already have the Cranleigh in dark brown Utah on 202D.

I want a versatile Galway, mainly to go with jeans and chinos, and less often with tailored trousers.

I'm thinking full mink suede on 202D. Another benefit is they already have that model as stock so won't have to pay MTO charge.

Equally, I am not against ponying up if it will get me a shoe that is a better fit for this purpose. Perhaps dark brown London Grain upper and mink shaft on 202? But I still somehow think the full mink will traverse the formality spectrum better, be less shouty and be overall more versatile? Last-wise I think 202 is pretty much the way to go - sleeker than 72/64, but not as sleek as 82.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
About to order my first Galways this weekend. For context, I already have the Cranleigh in dark brown Utah on 202D.

I want a versatile Galway, mainly to go with jeans and chinos, and less often with tailored trousers.

I'm thinking full mink suede on 202D. Another benefit is they already have that model as stock so won't have to pay MTO charge.

Equally, I am not against ponying up if it will get me a shoe that is a better fit for this purpose. Perhaps dark brown London Drain upper and mink shaft on 202? But I still somehow think the full mink will traverse the formality spectrum better, be less shouty and be overall more versatile? Last-wise I think 202 is pretty much the way to go - sleeker than 72/64, but not as sleek as 82.

Am I missing something?
I think that is a good choice. I prefer Galways in one leather instead of shaft and upper in different leathers. 202 last is also a reasonable choice. The only thing I would change is that I personally would go with espresso suede instead of mink, but that would require to go with MTO.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that is a good choice. I prefer Galways in one leather instead of shaft and upper in different leathers. 202 last is also a reasonable choice. The only thing I would change is that I personally would go with espresso suede instead of mink, but that would require to go with MTO.
Thank you! I already have a pair in mink so the colour is a known quantity. The warmer shade of mink vs espresso will provide a bit more versatility I feel, but of course that's a strictly personal preference.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Equally, I am not against ponying up if it will get me a shoe that is a better fit for this purpose. Perhaps dark brown London Drain upper and mink shaft on 202? But I still somehow think the full mink will traverse the formality spectrum better, be less shouty and be overall more versatile? Last-wise I think 202 is pretty much the way to go - sleeker than 72/64, but not as sleek as 82.

Am I missing something?
Sounds superb 👌

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn you EG. Damn you and your sale.........

20230208_EGFroswick3.jpg
20230208_EGFroswick2.jpg
20230208_EGFroswick4.jpg

Froswick on 72. Like them, not sure that I love them and even on sale, they are $1K. They are really close to these Galways (other than the obvious) and that is a part of the dilemma......

20230208_EGFroswick5.jpg

Hey @te0o, I'm still catching up on EG lasts but my Galways sound like what you're considering except they are on 64. I will tell you that I absolutely love them with jeans. They may be a bit chunky for chino's but for my style, perfect for denim.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey @te0o, I'm still catching up on EG lasts but my Galways sound like what you're considering except they are on 64. I will tell you that I absolutely love them with jeans. They may be a bit chunky for chino's but for my style, perfect for denim.
They look great, I'm sure they're perfect with denim! Do post photos if you have them.

Seeing them now though makes me think I need to go with the full mink makeup for mine. Bi-material might be a bit too rock'n'roll for my use.

letsgofire

Reaction score
I would have normally agreed with the single color/material comments until I got my DOAK calf /mink suede one. The upper, in suede, is tremendously comfortable, especially because you have flexibility in how tight you can lace your boots. I was an instant convert.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How big of a difference is there between an E and F width Galway? Last 64 if that matters.
I find the F to be significantly more voluminous than the E, especially in the instep. For me, when I've tried on F64 or F72, the instep is so high that with the shoe laced fully closed it doesn't provide any pressure against the instep. The boot would only be held in place by the tightness around my ankles, obviously a non-starter. Whereas with the the E64/E72 fitting, the instep pressure is perfect, the boot laces to about 1/2" gap, so there's plenty of stability on my instep, and a great fit.

shoefan57

Reaction score
Damn you EG. Damn you and your sale.........

View attachment 1892163 View attachment 1892165 View attachment 1892167

Froswick on 72. Like them, not sure that I love them and even on sale, they are $1K. They are really close to these Galways (other than the obvious) and that is a part of the dilemma......

View attachment 1892169

😂 be an F fitting like me and the sale will lose all its appeal to you 😉

PGS

Reaction score
Speaking of, for those of us who do enjoy the occasional bi-material Galway, are stockists no longer doing those makeups RTW? Seems like the usual suspects (Gentlemen's Footwear, Meet the Hand, Leffot) have been sticking to single leather recently. I know Cavour had a small run of Utah/suede this year, but it's the only one I can recall seeing.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of, for those of us who do enjoy the occasional bi-material Galway, are stockists no longer doing those makeups RTW? Seems like the usual suspects (Gentlemen's Footwear, Meet the Hand, Leffot) have been sticking to single leather recently. I know Cavour had a small run of Utah/suede this year, but it's the only one I can recall seeing.
Wonder if they just aren't as popular these day? EG has 5 of them on their site, two cordovan, one shearling lined and then two 82 lasted

emptym

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on how the unlined Piccadilly ages, especially in suede?

I've always been reluctant to buy unlined shoes as I fear they'll end up looking a bit limp or stretched out. But, I have a high instep and wearing in an ordinary Piccadilly sounds like an ordeal by all accounts...
I don't have any experience with unlined Piccadillys, but I have a pair of unlined Ventnors that haven't stretched much in a couple years. @RJman has the unlined models, Harrow and Buxton. There's pics of them in his book and they look great after years of wear. He goes down a half size for those, iirc.

My Ventnors are the same size as my lined Piccadillys, but one width larger, which does make them quite a bit looser, but not enough to have heel slip. Makes them perfect for the travel. Here's a pic of one of each, which may also contribute to the recent E vs F width discussion.
IMG_3118.jpeg

Both are 184 last, size 9/9.5, with the suede in F and calf in E, same trees for this comparison. It's not a perfect comparison because they're different models, but I wouldn't say the F width makes them look bad at all.

PGS

Reaction score
Wonder if they just aren't as popular these day? EG has 5 of them on their site, two cordovan, one shearling lined and then two 82 lasted
Would be interesting if so. The canonical Galway I always picture is the mink suede/DOAK combo. (Not that I'm against single material. I have an all snuff suede pair that's one of my most worn.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics