• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

El Fede

Reaction score
Hello,

Quick question. "Normally" UK equals US minus 1 (UK9 = US10). Not in Edward Green, UK9.5=US10....So, one of the two is brannock off by half a size...say I'm 9UK=10US brannock...should I go 9.5/10 or 9/9.5 in Edward Green size? This would be for Galways in last 64....or maybe 82.... Reference to Alden lasts means nothing to me as I have no Aldens, Carmina I make UK9 or UK8.5 in generous lasts like Detroit. C&J Islay UK8.5, Vass Valway P2 UK9 etc.

I'll be happy to hear your thoughts and if you have tips of where to get Galways on line (European websites please) for a good deal I'd certainly appreciate it.

Have a good weekend!

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Quick question. "Normally" UK equals US minus 1 (UK9 = US10). Not in Edward Green, UK9.5=US10....So, one of the two is brannock off by half a size...say I'm 9UK=10US brannock...should I go 9.5/10 or 9/9.5 in Edward Green size? This would be for Galways in last 64....or maybe 82..
Yes, normal depends on the brand. For EG and G&G it's 1/2 size down from your US size, so in your case you'd start with UK9.5 and if you're medium width, an E. If you're not sure it's a good idea to be able to exchange them.

El Fede

Reaction score
Yes, normal depends on the brand. For EG and G&G it's 1/2 size down from your US size, so in your case you'd start with UK9.5 and if you're medium width, an E. If you're not sure it's a good idea to be able to exchange them.
Thank you very much!

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for providing the insight @vestbash . It would be great if you could add pictures of your EG Whiskey and Bourbon crup as a visual representation of the differences you described. Would you please post when you have the chance?

Whiskey and Bourbon shell are different shades from Horween but they are indeed close. Could there be variation between either making them look more or less like each other, for sure. Of course it's also not easy to find EG examples side by side to compare.

Via SoleGarb

ZQ6yPM1.png

Ashland also did a Horween write up last year.

https://ashlandleather.com/blogs/ne...classic-color-part-2-leather-tannage-vs-color
"And there are a multitude of colors to choose from: Color #8, Color #4, Color #2, Navy, Whiskey, Bourbon, Cigar, Intense Blue, and Dark Cognac, to name a few."

Spoiler for non EG shoes

Here's my cordovan rainbow (minus two more pairs of burgundy):

Light colors (AE natural, Alden whiskey, Vass bourbon, Carmina cognac):

Last edited:

vestbash

Reaction score
As far as EG goes I don't stack up much to the fine collections of the gentlemen of this forum, but I do enjoy the brand. I mostly collect cordovan shoes but I have a number of calf/cow models from other makers. I only have whiskey cordovan from EG, seen in the top left. Sorry for the crappy quality photo. Here is my cordovan collection (all horween), props to anyone that can name them.
IMG_9445.jpg

eyeheartny

Reaction score
As far as EG goes I don't stack up much to the fine collections of the gentlemen of this forum, but I do enjoy the brand. I mostly collect cordovan shoes but I have a number of calf/cow models from other makers. I only have whiskey cordovan from EG, seen in the top left. Sorry for the crappy quality photo. Here is my cordovan collection (all horween), props to anyone that can name them.
View attachment 849367

Holy cow that's a lot of shell! I'm acutely jealous!

Azul

Reaction score
Thanks Justin, I agree with you! My concern is that there were no width measurements taken at all, nor did he even feel how the shoe fit on my foot. Let's just say I didn't come away with confidence that the salesman put much real effort into trying to help me find the right size. What I would really like to try is an 8.5D UK or even a 9D UK size, but that seems to be difficult to find. I certainly don't want to overthink things, but at the same time I would like to be confident that I have the best size for my foot.

I have called Axel's in Vail and they said they are not planning to restock their Dovers (which as I understand are D width). He said they could order them, but nothing I could try on.

I just noticed that Sid Mashburn apparently sells D width Dovers, and offers free returns. Maybe I will just order a couple of sizes and try them on my carpet to have some real time to evaluate.
why did Edward Green change the fit of their shoes?

Azul

Reaction score
Afaik...To be semantic, bourbon and whiskey crup from Horween is not just simply a variation in nomenclature, but a variation in the screening process for the selection of the hides by Horween. Whiskey is the "purer" color, where the raw shells are selected for their clarity. The hides that have bruising, striations, and other irregularities are not screened out for Bourbon. The tannage and finishing is otherwise the same from the Tannery but the outcome for Bourbon is shells that display more color variation. Armagnac, a horween shade used a lot by Carmina is in the same boat but I'm not sure what the color analog is.
does this mean bourbon shell cordovan is less high quality compared to whiskey cordovan?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads